Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 08:22 PM

33 posts, read 30,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I am confused.

If they are doing their homework (at home by definition), how is the teacher distracting them? Surely she is not at your house or contacting them at home....
No, the teacher has very distracting teaching habits and the kids come home shell shocked because of what they have learned in class.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:31 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by On The Lake View Post
No, the teacher has very distracting teaching habits and the kids come home shell shocked because of what they have learned in class.
You referred to "the teacher", are the 8 and the 11 year old in the same classroom?

Old 01-14-2015, 08:35 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Quote:
What does this mean?

Old 01-14-2015, 08:58 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
That doesn't make sense. ..shell shocked from what they are teaching? Don't they have the same teacher? By chance is this an ESL class?

Old 01-14-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
You referred to "the teacher", are the 8 and the 11 year old in the same classroom?
Yes, both my boys have the same teacher for a portion of the day (advanced algebra). I'm looking for creative ways to incentivize them to complete the homework which is challenging. The concepts they are learning are very huge.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:24 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
That doesn't make sense. ..shell shocked from what they are teaching? Don't they have the same teacher? By chance is this an ESL class?
Quote:
Yes, both my boys have the same teacher for a portion of the day (advanced algebra). I'm looking for creative ways to incentivize them to complete the homework which is challenging. The concepts they are learning are very huge.
Perhaps talk to the other parents of the students in the class. If their children are "shell shocked" too perhaps the teacher is not presenting the concepts well or the concepts are too advanced or presented too fast for the entire class. If only your sons are having a problem that tells you something else, such as they are not ready for that math class or they may need a different type of instruction or extra tutoring or something .

Old 01-15-2015, 09:15 AM

5,204 posts, read 4,666,583 times
Quote:
This just sounds like they can't finish the homework because they haven't adequately learned the material. I suggest you sit down with them one day and see exactly where they are getting stuck doing the assignments.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:30 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times
Quote:
If other kids in the class don't have this issue then you can't blame the teacher. Have you checked with other parents?

other solutions:

1. Look for Youtube or Kumen or ITunes U videos that explain the concepts they are having trouble understanding.

2. Consider that your kids may just not be ready for this level of advanced work. That's fine, there's no rush after all. They're just kids. Their futures are not ruined if they don't master algebra at ages 8 and 11.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:40 AM

5,099 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
They are learning advanced algebra already.
At age 8 & 11?
wow, super kids in LA I should say....

Old 01-15-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Perhaps talk to the other parents of the students in the class. If their children are "shell shocked" too perhaps the teacher is not presenting the concepts well or the concepts are too advanced or presented too fast for the entire class. If only your sons are having a problem that tells you something else, such as they are not ready for that math class or they may need a different type of instruction or extra tutoring or something .
Many of the parents are of the same belief that this is a fantastic magnet school. A lot of the teaching methods are unorthodox and STEM intensive.

The algebra teacher is really throwing them curveballs. She's eccentric. The kids were being taught how to calculate volume of various shapes but then they also get introduced to topics like fluid mechanics (as a real world application where science and math is applied. It's daunting for the children so I'm looking for creative ways to incentivize them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting