Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 12:49 PM

33 posts, read 30,842 times

Advertisements

When I was in school, not failing was incentive enough to do my homework. My boys are 8 and 11 and both of them come home with overwhelming amounts of homework.

I'm never sure if they are telling me the truth when they tell me they're done. I have learned now that they are turning in half completed assignments but this is after both of them spend two hours on homework.

I've tried negative consequences (limited computer, no video games, limited time with friends/grounded. Nothing seems to work. They still find some way to get distracted. Is there a postive reinforcement method I can try to get them focused and on task?

Old 01-12-2015, 01:10 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by On The Lake View Post
Nothing seems to work. They still find some way to get distracted.

Figure out what distracts them and remove it.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:36 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
Are they really working for 2 hours? If so, and they don't get their work done in that time frame, either they have far too much homework or they're having trouble with the assignment for one reason or another.

There's a difference between homework that takes 2+ hours and homework that should take 30 minutes, but the distractions drag it out.

If it is too much, or too difficult, you need to let the teacher know. If it's just a lack of concentration, I would have them show me the work that needs to be done, break it down into 20 minute intervals, and allow breaks in between. What I wouldn't tolerate is the lies of saying the work is done, when it isn't.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:44 PM

33 posts, read 30,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Are they really working for 2 hours? If so, and they don't get their work done in that time frame, either they have far too much homework or they're having trouble with the assignment for one reason or another.

There's a difference between homework that takes 2+ hours and homework that should take 30 minutes, but the distractions drag it out.

If it is too much, or too difficult, you need to let the teacher know. If it's just a lack of concentration, I would have them show me the work that needs to be done, break it down into 20 minute intervals, and allow breaks in between. What I wouldn't tolerate is the lies of saying the work is done, when it isn't.
They struggle with the subject matter and their teacher is also distracting their learning because it's an advanced magnet school. They are learning advanced algebra already.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:49 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,633,000 times
I am confused.

Quote:
They struggle with the subject matter and their teacher is also distracting their learning because it's an advanced magnet school.
If they are doing their homework (at home by definition), how is the teacher distracting them? Surely she is not at your house or contacting them at home....

Old 01-12-2015, 01:49 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,613,186 times
We had an after school snack. They started their homework and were given a break to go play. They finished after dinner. If there was time, they played outside before bed. They fell into bed exhausted, ready for school the next day.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:52 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,776,759 times
Two hours sounds crazy for that age. Maybe they are in the wrong school setting. How long would it take you to their homework? If it would take you more than twenty minutes to do, it's got to be too much for them. Contact the teachers to investigate.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:00 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
Quote:
They struggle with the subject matter and their teacher is also distracting their learning because it's an advanced magnet school. They are learning advanced algebra already.
Both the 8 yr old and the 11 yr old?

Old 01-12-2015, 02:04 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,738,262 times
With my son I have to micromanage him. So far there isn't another way to 'incentivise' him

Old 01-12-2015, 02:52 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Try this book:

The Homework Solution: Getting Kids To Do Their Homework: Linda Agler Sonna: 9780913589526: Amazon.com: Books

A few other tips:
How to Get Your Kids to Do Their Homework: 13 Steps

This one is especially important, imo.

Quote:
Empower your kids. Rather than setting the time for homework, have a family meeting to discuss possible times. Let the kids feel they’re somewhat in charge by giving them the choice of when to do their homework—before dinner, after dinner, or half before and half after. The only rider on this is to refuse to allow homework to be left until just before bedtime – set an agreed cut-off point by which time homework must be completed; this can be sweetened by making allowance for fun reading time, or other enjoyable wind-down activity prior to bedtime. And you can help by keeping the evening mealtime as regular as possible.
Find out if there are specific areas of homework they're having difficulties with. Ask them if they would like to consider having more hands-on help with those issues (you, a sibling, or a tutor, for example). Sometimes homework isn't working because they're struggling with it in class, as well as, out of class.
Help your child figure out what is hard homework and what is easy homework. Having your child do the hard work first will mean he is most alert when facing the biggest challenges. The easier material will seem to go faster once fatigue begins to set in.
Agree on homework free times, such as parts of the weekend, or Friday nights, etc., and allow them to plan how they use this free time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting