Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 08:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"Maybe a preventable disease outbreak has a way of reducing the appeal of junk science."
Will the Disneyland measles outbreak be enough to quiet vaccine doubters? - LA Times
Didn't happen in the case of whooping cough, which also rampaged through California, causing 10 deaths. I don't know what it will take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 08:59 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
Didn't happen in the case of whooping cough, which also rampaged through California, causing 10 deaths. I don't know what it will take.
Considering the fact that scientists are actually admitting that the pertussis vaccine is not as effective as they thought, I think its a little silly to blame people who don't vaccinate for the resurgence. I respect the fact that most people are very pro vaccine but it does not do anyone any good to ignore the problems with the vaccine and instead try to blame a small group of people for the resurgence in illness.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Considering the fact that scientists are actually admitting that the pertussis vaccine is not as effective as they thought, I think its a little silly to blame people who don't vaccinate for the resurgence. I respect the fact that most people are very pro vaccine but it does not do anyone any good to ignore the problems with the vaccine and instead try to blame a small group of people for the resurgence in illness.
Anti-vax meme #210, the pertussis vaccine is not as effective as thought. When all is said and done with this pertussis epidemic which caused 10 infant deaths, more deaths than could ever be attributed to any vaccine, the "scientists" still say the best way to avoid getting pertussis is to get the vaccine.

Vaccine Refusals Fueled California's Whooping Cough Epidemic : Shots - Health News : NPR
"Vaccine refusal was indeed a factor, researchers now say."
After three years of pussyfutting around, the researchers finally said the above in 2013.
Nonmedical Vaccine Exemptions and Pertussis in California, 2010
Vaccine refusal linked to California pertussis outbreak
Whooping cough Prevention - Diseases and Conditions - Mayo Clinic
First sentence: "The best way to prevent whooping cough is with the pertussis vaccine"
House Call Doctor : How To Prevent Whooping Cough? :: Quick and Dirty Tips

You anti-vaxers need some new talking points; the old ones are all worn out and untrue.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:16 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,369,560 times
Quote:
Do you have a reference?

Old 01-21-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
None of that says what you claimed.
You may want to read them again because they absolutely do say what I claimed. The vaccine is not as effective as they once thought due to mutations and the fact that the immunity wanes earlier then they once thought.

If you think otherwise, sum up what you think the articles were about.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:48 AM

^^I can't get into Medscape, but the others are all prior to Sept. 2013, when the researchers finally quit pussyfutting around with these excuse makers and concluded that vaccine refusals were a part of the epidemic. It's hard to deny. There was an article about these patterns of vaccine refusal (it is what it is, not the milder word "exemption") in California re: this newest outbreak of measles.
Parents Who Shun Vaccines Tend To Cluster, Boosting Children's Risk : Shots - Health News : NPR

It is no secret that pertussis immunity wanes over time. Immunity from pertussis disease wanes over time. The old whole cell DTP vaccine caused a lot of side effects. It was never shown to cause the stuff the anti-vaxers said, e.g. SIDS, permanent brain damage, etc, but it was pretty harsh. So the researchers developed a vaccine that produced fewer side effects, made it much more acceptable to parents, DTaP. DTaP was phased in, at first used just for the 4th and 5th doses, then approved for all doses in 1999. Immunity does appear to wane more quickly with the DtaP (compared to whole-cell DTP), however, that was not the major problem in the California epidemic of 2010. Note that the all DTaP schedule had only been in effect 11 years at that point in time. Anyone >11 had received at least some of the old vaccine. The Tdap vaccine for people over 7 years of age was not released until 2005, and at first was recommended only for kids >11 years of age.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
^^I can't get into Medscape, but the others are all prior to Sept. 2013, when the researchers finally quit pussyfutting around with these excuse makers and concluded that vaccine refusals were a part of the epidemic. It's hard to deny. There was an article about these patterns of vaccine refusal (it is what it is, not the milder word "exemption") in California re: this newest outbreak of measles.
Parents Who Shun Vaccines Tend To Cluster, Boosting Children's Risk : Shots - Health News : NPR

It is no secret that pertussis immunity wanes over time. Immunity from pertussis disease wanes over time. The old whole cell DTP vaccine caused a lot of side effects. It was never shown to cause the stuff the anti-vaxers said, e.g. SIDS, permanent brain damage, etc, but it was pretty harsh. So the researchers developed a vaccine that produced fewer side effects, made it much more acceptable to parents, DTaP. DTaP was phased in, at first used just for the 4th and 5th doses, then approved for all doses in 1999. Immunity does appear to wane more quickly with the DtaP (compared to whole-cell DTP), however, that was not the major problem in the California epidemic of 2010. Note that the all DTaP schedule had only been in effect 11 years at that point in time. Anyone >11 had received at least some of the old vaccine. The Tdap vaccine for people over 7 years of age was not released until 2005, and at first was recommended only for kids >11 years of age.
These are not excuses. They are documented and backed up with studies and research. But believe whatever it is that you want. The old vaccine for pertussis did cause unacceptable and serious side effects and that is why it was changed to the newer, safer version. The new vaccine is not as effective as scientists had hoped. That is partially why we are seeing a resurgence of pertussis. The mutations which are well documented are also a part of the problem. Ignoring these facts does not do us any good. I'm not going to argue with you because I know how set you are in your ways of blaming anti-vaxxers for everything but I am hoping that others who are reading this will realize that there is more to it. Ignoring problems does not make them go away.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:55 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,562 times
Quote:
You may want to read them again because they absolutely do say what I claimed. The vaccine is not as effective as they once thought due to mutations and the fact that the immunity wanes earlier then they once thought.

If you think otherwise, sum up what you think the articles were about.

Chicken or the egg Terri? Chicken or eggs

Less vaccinations equal more whooping cough, more whooping cough can mean more mutations. . .and less protection. it is all linked together

though any protection can help you fight it off, even if the protection has waned.

(not that I have seen that. every report i've read shows people without the vaccination getting whooping cough)

Even if protection fell from 90% to 60%

its better than 0%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting