Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 03:05 PM

153 posts, read 110,243 times

Advertisements

Take the time and focus on you!! Everyone has something that they really want to do. A dream of mine is owning a tech startup(I wish I came up with city-data). Anyways, I spend my free time exercising (b/c i want to continue to attract the ladies even though I'm married) and learning to code (b/c it puts me a step closer to working on my dream).

No one can tell you what you should do. Follow your dreams, don't ever give up on them. If you can't achieve your dream/goal. Take steps towards achieving it. Crawl before walk, walk before running...

If your dreams are centered around your family/kids then get involved...do pta, volunteer at the ymca...good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 04:51 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLegend2000 View Post
Take the time and focus on you!! Everyone has something that they really want to do. A dream of mine is owning a tech startup(I wish I came up with city-data). Anyways, I spend my free time exercising (b/c i want to continue to attract the ladies even though I'm married) and learning to code (b/c it puts me a step closer to working on my dream).

No one can tell you what you should do. Follow your dreams, don't ever give up on them. If you can't achieve your dream/goal. Take steps towards achieving it. Crawl before walk, walk before running...

If your dreams are centered around your family/kids then get involved...do pta, volunteer at the ymca...good luck
Wife supports you, does she? More likely the 2000 in your screen name is your birth year.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:16 PM

3,167 posts, read 3,999,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majka View Post
Hi,
I am stay at home mom raising 4 kids (2nd grader and my triplets just go to kindergarten on Sep. 2015)
So far, my life is all around kids except 3 hrs free time a day when my youngest are in preschool.
This 3 hrs free time I spend exercising, I spend 1,5 hrs 4 times a week in local gym and I love it! No cookies, no movies, no sitting lookout to window just take my gym bag and go for heavy workout.
Soon, I will have additional 3 hrs when my triplets go to full time kindergarten...

What would you do or you do if you have free time from 9am-3:30pm
All ideas including, studying, job, cleaning house....whatever comes to your mind.

little bit about me:
I am 41, english is my second language and I know it needs improvements, even though I don't have a big problem to communicate. I think about finding a job just p/t inn Sep. I am lately on city-data forums because of needs to talk to people.

happy mother
I worked more and spent time volunteering in my child's school.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:56 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,911,585 times
i'm like you, but with fewer kids. I have a 1st grader and my youngest starts kindergarten this fall. He is currently in preschool 3 hours a day...but I don't feel like I have enough time to get stuff done right now!! I am on my school's PTO, and that does take a fair amount of time. I am hoping that I can get a more regular workout schedule down once the little one is in school longer. I hope to spend more time helping at school next year as well.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:00 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,839,321 times
If i didnt homeschool, I think id be bored when they went to school. Id have to volunteer somewhere or find an activity.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:38 PM

153 posts, read 110,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Wife supports you, does she? More likely the 2000 in your screen name is your birth year.
wrong... i chose 2000 b/c its a nice even number... I'm the bread winner in my family. I have a great career but I do get tired of the 9 - 5, 5 days a week, 48 weeks a year.

The idea of solving problems with technology and making loads of money intrigues me more than 80k a year. What made you come after me anyway? I gave good advice.... too many ppl get married, have kids and that makes them drop all of their goals. They become less ambitious. I get the need for stability once you have kids but never give up on your goals/dreams. Ever... you being a downer/loser doesn't mean others have to sink to your level.

She wants to be around adults so volunteer at the local community center. I noticed you mentioned things being hard and ppl have to take kids to soccer games/etc..... maybe other ppl have the same problems and would like to work... maybe you can start a business transporting kids to/from activities after school... think outside the box...network while volunteering...just do something

Old 01-17-2015, 08:02 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:

Quote:
wrong... i chose 2000 b/c its a nice even number... I'm the bread winner in my family. I have a great career but I do get tired of the 9 - 5, 5 days a week, 48 weeks a year.

The idea of solving problems with technology and making loads of money intrigues me more than 80k a year. What made you come after me anyway? I gave good advice.... too many ppl get married, have kids and that makes them drop all of their goals. They become less ambitious. I get the need for stability once you have kids but never give up on your goals/dreams. Ever... you being a downer/loser doesn't mean others have to sink to your level.

She wants to be around adults so volunteer at the local community center. I noticed you mentioned things being hard and ppl have to take kids to soccer games/etc..... maybe other ppl have the same problems and would like to work... maybe you can start a business transporting kids to/from activities after school... think outside the box...network while volunteering...just do something
The bolded.

The thread seemed to be directed at stay-at-home parents, as not a whole lot changes for the working parent after the kids are in school. So your post didn't make a whole lot of sense coming from the breadwinner.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:08 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,316,817 times
No free time right now, but when she starts school in September... I will read. As in read complicated books. I have very little time to read, and tend to go for easy reads (such as "chick lit") that can be left aside without me losing track of the plot. With more time on my hands, reading will definitely be on top of my list!

Old 01-17-2015, 09:26 PM

197 posts, read 301,886 times
when I came to the USA in 1998 at the age of 25 I was so happy even though I knew I will clean other people houses I new I will be babysitting, I worked at the restaurant and all those typical, well, illegal immigrants jobs. Even then my life was great I like all of it despite the reality of being undocumented, I was single so less worried. I visited couple of places including backpacking a Grand Canyon, I love camping and still do with my family. Being undocumented was the only thing that make me unable do more or I was not enough operative. I had friends who spoke kind of limited English at that time but still they worked at schools and other institution (in the offices) so they were getting skills faster. Today, my life is also great, I have a husband, kids, generally we created a good family, I have a citizenship as well, but the thing is that I am kind of stack... I don't think anymore "my life would be great if I only have a green card." Anyway, I guess that the fact that my kids starts their school F/T pretty soon I am becoming kind of lost or not quiet ready for the new chapter!

Volunteering somewhere is my probably next choice.
I really thank you for all your ideas!

Old 01-18-2015, 09:11 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,154,119 times
Hi Majka,

I see you're Polish. There are a lot of Polish workers at the best hotel in my city on the east coast. I don't know about Chicago, but here, Polish-born workers are usually thought of as very hard workers. So your nationality may actually be to your benefit, if you have a professional appearance and way of speaking (don't worry about your English not being 100% perfect). Still, a lot of them got their jobs by "knowing someone" - do you have any connections at any of the hotels where you'd like to work?

You could also try to get your foot in the door by taking a lower position in a hotel, proving yourself, and applying for better positions as soon as they become available. I know a young Polish woman with a green card who started in a hotel by working nights as part of the banquet set-up crew. She then moved into a bartender position where she didn't have to work overnight, and then moved into a restaurant server position (at a very high end restaurant attached to the hotel - it's the nicest and priciest restaurant in the state). She's making very good money now, and is a single mother of two young kids. She could have easily moved into a front desk job if she had wished to, because she proved herself to be friendly, reliable, hard-working, well-kept, and an asset to the company.

If you already have a degree in hospitality, you may be able to get the job you want more easily than you think. Why not apply and see what happens? Or, reach out to those in the Polish community and see if anyone knows someone who works in a hotel, who could give you advice or even a recommendation.

Good luck Pani Majka!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting