Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 08:53 AM

197 posts, read 300,873 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am stay at home mom raising 4 kids (2nd grader and my triplets just go to kindergarten on Sep. 2015)
So far, my life is all around kids except 3 hrs free time a day when my youngest are in preschool.
This 3 hrs free time I spend exercising, I spend 1,5 hrs 4 times a week in local gym and I love it! No cookies, no movies, no sitting lookout to window just take my gym bag and go for heavy workout.
Soon, I will have additional 3 hrs when my triplets go to full time kindergarten...

What would you do or you do if you have free time from 9am-3:30pm
All ideas including, studying, job, cleaning house....whatever comes to your mind.

little bit about me:
I am 41, english is my second language and I know it needs improvements, even though I don't have a big problem to communicate. I think about finding a job just p/t inn Sep. I am lately on city-data forums because of needs to talk to people.

happy mother
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 08:58 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,224,548 times
You can get involved in the school PTA/PTO.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:08 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,318,490 times
^^Or, if you want to do something not kid related, take a class yourself at CC or other, go to an exercise class or classes, get involved in a civic group (League of Women Voters, Rotary Club, many others), church, community theater, hiking group, many others.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:16 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,740,792 times
Will your triplets be in full time kindergarten every day? Sounds like it. When my youngest (of 3) went off to kindergarten (full time 3 days a week), I thought I would run out and get a job right away. Instead, I kept a neater, cleaner, more organized house...I think I spent a full two weeks going through all the closets that I kept putting off. I got involved more with the kids schools...there were days I drove them to school and was still there when school let out. I volunteered at the local food bank.

I would suggest not stressing on what you will do with all the "free time" when they are gone...I'll bet you find you are busier during those hours than you are now some days.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:28 AM

1,539 posts, read 2,292,554 times
When both of my kids started school, I spent my days volunteering for various organizations but lots of time at their schools. This lasted for a few months before I went crazy and then I decided to return to work. I stayed in the same field but changed careers to allow for a more flexible schedule. I see lots of Moms go through this, and its a hard transition. If I went to the gym, cleaned the house, volunteered for a few hours, walked the dogs...that would easily eat up a school day. It just depends on you, your family, what your goals are and what fulfills you. Things were much, much easier for the whole family when I was at home all the time.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:42 AM

I think about volunteering, because I don't have any job experience. I am not so to participate or volunteering in child related activities, I need to spin around adults. I would love to work in hotel, (I got my AAS in travel business management 3 years ago) and take some classes to improve my English etc.
But I also will be the one who has to pick up kids from school in their sick days or just stay at home when they have a school off days, my husband is the one that run the family from financial point of view.
I would love to work to fill I am needed and make some money to feel more independent.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:48 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,791,007 times
You should be able to find an English as a second language class near you. That can give you the confidence you need to do other things.

You can volunteer at a hospital, a women's shelter, a homeless shelter, a food bank, etc. Don't try to do too much though. Pick one and volunteer one day a week or one day every two weeks rather than trying to do something every day.

Organize your home so that it makes things easier for you. Flylady.com gives people good ideas on that.

You may be able to find part time work, but I would wait a year or so to get your bearings before you do that.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:56 AM

nana053
english classes to take in no problem in my area. thanks for advice on volunteering, i was thinking get everything, fill your day from A to Z, but waiting an additional year will be ok to get prepare.

Now, I am seriously thinking (hopefully will get that chance) to work for hotel as a front desk.
What kind of volunteering would yo suggest to get prepare for working in hotel industry.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:00 PM

436 posts, read 418,785 times
Not for nothing, but be prepared for lots if sick days. I don't know if I've had any week when my kids were in school that at least one of them didn't come home / stay home sick at least one day a week. When you have a lot of kids in school, it's almost inevitable - especially during cold / flu season.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:47 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,058,982 times
I went back to work as soon as my youngest was in school all day. It has been harder than I thought it would be, though. Someone needs to be there to drive them to sports and activities, and help with homework.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting