Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 03:40 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,384 times

Advertisements

Not when she is sick. The binky gives comfort, but if she is congested, she cannot breathe and suck, hence her frustration.
When she feels better, and moving around, you might consider allowing her the binky only when she is sitting on the couch. If she gets up to play, she has to put it down. Give the the binky at night.

Sooner or later, she will be more interested in moving and exploring than the binky. She will look for it on the chair as a safety if she needs it. Over time she will only want it at night and will give that up in her own time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 05:20 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Not when she is sick. The binky gives comfort, but if she is congested, she cannot breathe and suck, hence her frustration.
When she feels better, and moving around, you might consider allowing her the binky only when she is sitting on the couch. If she gets up to play, she has to put it down. Give the the binky at night.

Sooner or later, she will be more interested in moving and exploring than the binky. She will look for it on the chair as a safety if she needs it. Over time she will only want it at night and will give that up in her own time.
According to the OP, she already only has it at naptime and at night.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:36 PM

685 posts, read 1,105,200 times
Well today went much better. She seems to be acting a little more herself, though still has a runny nose, and we went the whole day without the pacifier except for her nap. She was not fussy like she was yesterday over it and just chewed on her finger a lot. She went over to her crib after her morning nap bc she saw her binky, I said no let's go inside, and she just walked out. After her second nap, I asked her to give me the binky and she took it out of her mouth and put it right in my hand lol. Last night she slept fine too, though we gave her baby advil. I'm going to try this whole week not giving it to her except to nap/nighttime sleep, next week attempt taking it away for naps during the day and then the next hurdle will be bed time. I was a pacifier lover who had one until close to 3 until I got a canker sore and tossed it in the garbage, then went looking for it again 5 minutes later lol. It's one of my earliest memories. I feel like if we don't take it away now, she'll be another me.

She has a ton of stuffed animals I've introduced to her, but they all get tossed out of her crib. Older DD who will be 4 in a few months still has a lovey she got around our babies age and still carries it and sleeps with it every day. She adores him. I'm thinking maybe I'll take her to the Disney store soon and see if something catches her eye.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:53 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
Well today went much better. She seems to be acting a little more herself, though still has a runny nose, and we went the whole day without the pacifier except for her nap. She was not fussy like she was yesterday over it and just chewed on her finger a lot. She went over to her crib after her morning nap bc she saw her binky, I said no let's go inside, and she just walked out. After her second nap, I asked her to give me the binky and she took it out of her mouth and put it right in my hand lol. Last night she slept fine too, though we gave her baby advil. I'm going to try this whole week not giving it to her except to nap/nighttime sleep, next week attempt taking it away for naps during the day and then the next hurdle will be bed time. I was a pacifier lover who had one until close to 3 until I got a canker sore and tossed it in the garbage, then went looking for it again 5 minutes later lol. It's one of my earliest memories. I feel like if we don't take it away now, she'll be another me.
And, how did you turn out? Did you go to Kindergarten with your Paci? Off to college with it? I'm guessing the answer is "No".

Sounds like you are making progress. Your LO is only 14 months old and she doesn't feel well. It's a comfort item, and some kids are very attached to them. At this age, it's not that big of an issue if it is not interfering with her activities during the day and you have plenty of time to wean her from it.

If she is embarrassed when her first boyfriend discovers she is still using it, then you might have a problem

Old 01-20-2015, 01:14 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Cut the paci. So it doesn't give good suck.
We did that with our son.

Now he has just the shells of the 2 pacifiers and he holds them in his hands when he sleeps.
It's the only time he has them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting