Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 01:43 PM

4,271 posts, read 6,296,510 times

Advertisements

My mom washed my mouth out wish soap when I was in 7th grade. I cursed during dinner and she marched me right to the bathroom and proceeded to squirt a single dollop of Dial soap onto my tongue (the pump soaps were brand new).

I'm convinced it's why I hate swearing to this day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 01:56 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
My mom washed my mouth out wish soap when I was in 7th grade. I cursed during dinner and she marched me right to the bathroom and proceeded to squirt a single dollop of Dial soap onto my tongue (the pump soaps were brand new).

How is your relationship with her today? Did this create trust issues?

Old 01-26-2015, 02:47 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post

My parents gave me the soap treatment too. I curse like a sailor to this day.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:58 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
The judge was likely liberal leaning so it's no surprise that he would be upset. For some, any kind of physical pain is monstrous.
Welcome to the real world. If you don't punish your kids when it is warranted, they're not going to have the right kind of skills for dealing with the real world when they grow up.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:03 PM

838 posts, read 565,252 times
This is a 'thing'? My parents did this to my sister all the time when she was a kid and would either disrespect an adult, say foul language or spit at another kid. It seems to have worked well since she hasn't spit someone in around 20+ years now lol.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:26 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Welcome to the real world. If you don't punish your kids when it is warranted, they're not going to have the right kind of skills for dealing with the real world when they grow up.
Well, duh. No one said let them grow wild. We are apeaking of physically hurting a child in order to teach him something.
There are other options that are less archaic and harmful.and take more intellect and thought.
Unless you raised your kids to be absolute morons incapable of understanding.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:11 PM

759 posts, read 1,356,815 times
I know, having been a child and a parent myself, that children understand shame and embarrassment. And that shame and embarrassment are powerful motivators in correcting behavior. One of the most direct ways to induce a feeling of shame and embarrassment in a child (or an adult, for that matter) is to discipline said individual in public.
With children, this is most easily and humanely accomplished with a firm swat to the butt in front of God and everybody. Do this once, and unless your child is a pathology, or you have made him one as the product of weak parenting, and it will be some time before he repeats that misbehavior. Unfortunately, in our hypersensitive society this is seen as abuse.
Children also understand dread. The "go to your room and stay there until your father gets home", works much better than the "stand in a corner for five minutes, then go play with your friends" ploy, because children have a limited concept of time. And they will instantly sense that you are the weaker party, not the stronger.
I do not agree with waiting to discipline your children. Misbehavior must be dealt with swiftly, even if that means associating pain with behavior that is potentially or actually dangerous, running into traffic, e.g. Much better for Mom to give a child a few strong swats to the butt, than to have him run over by a dump truck.
Of course, if you don't love your child, you can send him to a "time out" when he gets out of the ICU.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:19 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
I know, having been a child and a parent myself, that children understand shame and embarrassment. And that shame and embarrassment are powerful motivators in correcting behavior. One of the most direct ways to induce a feeling of shame and embarrassment in a child (or an adult, for that matter) is to discipline said individual in public.
With children, this is most easily and humanely accomplished with a firm swat to the butt in front of God and everybody. Do this once, and unless your child is a pathology, or you have made him one as the product of weak parenting, and it will be some time before he repeats that misbehavior. Unfortunately, in our hypersensitive society this is seen as abuse.
Children also understand dread. The "go to your room and stay there until your father gets home", works much better than the "stand in a corner for five minutes, then go play with your friends" ploy, because children have a limited concept of time. And they will instantly sense that you are the weaker party, not the stronger.
I do not agree with waiting to discipline your children. Misbehavior must be dealt with swiftly, even if that means associating pain with behavior that is potentially or actually dangerous, running into traffic, e.g. Much better for Mom to give a child a few strong swats to the butt, than to have him run over by a dump truck.
Of course, if you don't love your child, you can send him to a "time out" when he gets out of the ICU.
Good Lord, is this composed by someone in the 1800's.?
Or perhaps someone in the Dickens era?

Old 01-26-2015, 08:16 PM

759 posts, read 1,356,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Good Lord, is this composed by someone in the 1800's.?
Or perhaps someone in the Dickens era?
Good Lord, is this composed by someone who believes "It Takes A Village" is a manual for child rearing?
Or perhaps another new-ager who eschews personal responsibility, and would rather have their child on Adderal than put in effort to discipline him herself?

Old 01-26-2015, 08:19 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
Good Lord, is this composed by someone who believes "It Takes A Village" is a manual for child rearing?
Or perhaps another new-ager who eschews personal responsibility, and would rather have their child on Adderal than put in effort to discipline him herself?
You people say stuff like this yet ignore the fact that many successful people have been raised in loving homes free from physical and emotional abuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting