Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do you plan to pay for your child's college and first car?
will pay for their college education 79 53.74%
will pay for some/around half of their education 33 22.45%
will pay for just tiny bit of their education 10 6.80%
will buy their first car 70 47.62%
not paying for anything 21 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 09:15 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
It COULD have worked though. That's the point. You found a reason that made YOU decide it wouldn't work. Not optimal doesn't mean impossible. I know lawyers, doctors, dentist, engineers, etc that went to community college. If someone is supposedly intelligent, I find it hard to believe that they CAN'T make community college work. Many people choose to not attend community college, but that doesn't mean it couldn't work for them if momma bear wasn't paying for university.

Where do you live? No private schools nearby? No Craigslist advertisements for people renting rooms?
"Could have worked"? How, if a first year required introductory class, offered spring semester, is required before taking the second year required class only offered fall semester of second year, which is required before taking the junior year class, only offered one semester, and so forth?

Sure, I have private schools nearby. Two of my 3 went to or currently attend private universities. But those they attend are not within commuting distance. The scholarships they were awarded at these universities were far more valuable than commuting to less than optimal schools. These schools also had a requirement that students live on campus for at least their first year.

These choices of universities have worked out VERY well for my kids. They have had opportunities at these schools that would not have been available to them at other schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 10:02 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
College, yes. I have enough saved for each of them to attend whatever state school they want. If they are interested in private or out of state schools, they'll have to make up the difference with scholarships, working, etc. My parents did the same for me and being able to start my adult life without debt has been one of the greatest gifts.

Car-wise, I "handed down" my 8 year old car (but still reliable and safe) to the oldest (and it will be passed down among the siblings) and bought myself the new car.
This is our philosophy too. I also will not pay for tuition if they are majoring in something useless for supporting themselves after graduation. They get four years at a state school with our somewhat approval of the major. They can minor in whatever they want.

Masters or PHD on their own dime, although if they majored in Psychology we might change our minds.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:05 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,421,908 times
College, yes. The car issue is going to be that I will contribute to the purchase but both of my girls will have a part time job and good grades in school before the get a car and insurance for it.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
I guess I thought jobs were assumed!
My son, for example, has been working on a neighbor's ranch since he was 13...Anything from haying, to mechanic-ing, to cowboying. He puts in a grown man's day and is, in return, paid a grown man's wage. At just 15, he has a nice little savings account already.
Plus he's learning the value of an honest day's labor, how to be responsible, and takes a lot of pride in a job well done.
...Vital skills for any kid, to my way of thinking.
Yes, jobs are necessary even in high school.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
The community college route would not have worked with any of my kids. All of them were taking classes for their majors the first year, and some classes were only offered once a year, but before you could take the class junior year, you needed the prerequisites from sophomore year, and before those, you needed the first year intro class.

None commuted...would have been a 90 minute one way commute for 2, and an 8 hour commute one way for the other. Therefore, it was better for them to live on and/or near campus....
I think lots of kids are taking the community college level courses in high school now or testing out. Its so different than when I was in school in the nineties.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:06 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
"Could have worked"? How, if a first year required introductory class, offered spring semester, is required before taking the second year required class only offered fall semester of second year, which is required before taking the junior year class, only offered one semester, and so forth?
What is the world type of class are you talking about? Is it not offered online? Is it not offered during the summer? Is their nothing equivalent offered online at any school in America? Is their no school that doesn't require that particular class? You're telling me it's impossible to major in what your child wanted without going directly to that school after graduating high school? Do you have a link to this school and the major?

Quote:
Sure, I have private schools nearby. Two of my 3 went to or currently attend private universities. But those they attend are not within commuting distance. The scholarships they were awarded at these universities were far more valuable than commuting to less than optimal schools. These schools also had a requirement that students live on campus for at least their first year.
So what's your location and what are the majors? I'm thinking that for 99% of people community college will cover what they need for the first two years. Sometimes this may mean putting off a certain class for 6 months or a year, but that's not exactly the end of the world.

Quote:
These choices of universities have worked out VERY well for my kids. They have had opportunities at these schools that would not have been available to them at other schools.
I'm not saying you didn't make good choices, I'm just saying that I believe community college can easily work for the vast majority of people. Most people don't start taking classes for their major until year 3 and they have the option to take a few during the summer of year 1 or 2...or online during the regular semester.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:12 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I think lots of kids are taking the community college level courses in high school now or testing out. Its so different than when I was in school in the nineties.
Doesn't that make it even easier for a kid to pay their own way? Let's say a kid can knock out year 1 during their high school years. That means they only need to pay for 3 more years. If they go to CC for the 2nd year (~$2500) and a state school for the final two, the kid could come out owing as little as $10k if they work a little.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:32 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Quote:
What is the world type of class are you talking about? Is it not offered online? Is it not offered during the summer? Is their nothing equivalent offered online at any school in America? Is their no school that doesn't require that particular class? You're telling me it's impossible to major in what your child wanted without going directly to that school after graduating high school? Do you have a link to this school and the major?
Our son's situation is the same as her child's and I can tell you why, in our son's case, cc would add more years.

Our son is majoring in aerospace engineering. The classes do have to be taken in a specific order and are only offered one semester during that academic year. They are not offered during the summer and taken online? Nope. They generally have labs attached to them. These classes started his sophomore year, although he did take a projects class his freshmen year that was required for freshmen, but waived if someone switched to the major later.

Our son has taken a few classes during the summer at the cc in order to get a couple classes out of the way that were required but didn't have to be taken in order or specific to aerospace. Summer classes at the university are way too expensive because they charge all the same fees as they do during the regular school year.

In our state, taking one class here and one there at university is costly because you get a better break with the state stipend going full time. Costs no more to take 18 credit hours as 12 but is very expensive to take just one. You still pay all the fees.

This is why I say each family has to figure out what is the best route to go for their individual child. There is no one size fits all and sometimes you won't know what fits until you get to that point. We are happy to pay for our son's tuition and are glad we are able to do so. I don't want it taking him 8 years to get a 4 year degree......

Old 01-29-2015, 11:44 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrett View Post
A- A bursary is a scholarship, it's just another word for it. Depending on where you live, it's the term.

B- It may take longer, and it may not be possible if you want to go into certain fields. Again though, that is what you "want", not what you "can do" without taking out ridiculous student loans.

C- Doesn't always work out. The other option is to find room mates and a cheap apartment to keep costs down.

D- It's an option. See what you can get out of it, and if nothing, refer to A-C or E.

E- A teenager shouldn't have an issue making 3-5k a year. If you're working at minimum wage, putting in three 4 hour shifts a week will do it. Considering you have all summer, it shouldn't be an issue.

In addition, this idea that you should be going directly to college out of high school is ludicrous. Take two years off and find out what you actually want to do. Work and save, take night classes. Then go.

Really, the main thing is that you have to make smart choices. Spending $125,000 for a degree in sociology is a bad choice.
E-Well, then, the parents are providing for all their other needs, right? I preferred that my kids use their earnings to pay for gas, their own entertainment (which wasn't much, mostly movies, lunches, ice skating, etc with friends), clothes they wanted, and stuff like that than putting it all into savings for college.

RE: "gap" years and the like-there is much research that people who wait are less likely to graduate. I've posted the links before, don't feel like searching again, do a search on Google or for my posts on this subject.

Quote:

So what's your location and what are the majors? I'm thinking that for 99% of people community college will cover what they need for the first two years. Sometimes this may mean putting off a certain class for 6 months or a year, but that's not exactly the end of the world.

I'm not saying you didn't make good choices, I'm just saying that I believe community college can easily work for the vast majority of people. Most people don't start taking classes for their major until year 3 and they have the option to take a few during the summer of year 1 or 2...or online during the regular semester.
You might be surprised at how many situations there are like PeachSalsa and WhereTheSidewalkEnds described. "(P)utting off a certain class for 6 months or a year" sometimes means extending college by a year or more. Here in Colorado, there is an "articulation agreement" between the CCs and the public universities. There is a list of courses the public unis have to accept for credit from the CCs. However, they can accept them just for elective if they want to. It's not as easy to go to 2 years of CC as many people think. There's this mantra that the first two years are the same for everyone, but that's not true. Some grad schools, particularly med schools, will not accept science courses taken at a CC, even if the student transferred and has a degree from a 4 year college. It's not so cut and dried.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:48 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
But again - this is just clawing for a reason that community college wouldn't work. If momma and poppa bear aren't paying for college - what does a potential nurse do? Yep, they go to community college and get their ADN. After that they work while doing an online BSN or attending a local university. If you want something, you will find a way.
You have way too much faith in online courses. It's a little hard to do a clinical rotation online. This is a thread about parents planning to pay for college or not. It is my personal opinion that parents should pay what they can, without, as many have brought up, dipping into their own retirement savings. Certainly the students should apply for scholarships. Others obviously have different opinions.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 01-29-2015 at 11:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting