Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do you plan to pay for your child's college and first car?
will pay for their college education 79 53.74%
will pay for some/around half of their education 33 22.45%
will pay for just tiny bit of their education 10 6.80%
will buy their first car 70 47.62%
not paying for anything 21 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 12:16 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times

Advertisements

We paid for our children's undergraduate education (they mostly chose state schools) and expected them to work for spending money. They graduated debt-free. One wanted a car, so we gave him one of our old ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 04:58 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
Damn.... kids are lucky nowadays.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:04 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I guess it's not surprising but somewhat disheartening that only about a third of the responses mention the kids actually having part time and summer jobs and learning how to be responsible to an employer as they save for school. I've hired hundreds of people and would always look for someone with prior work experience over the one who idled the summers away.
I agree. Although if someone would've handed me a car and an education, I surely would have taken it.
But I enjoyed most of my high school and college jobs.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:29 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I agree. Although if someone would've handed me a car and an education, I surely would have taken it.
But I enjoyed most of my high school and college jobs.
Some of the happiest kids I know/knew seemed to scraping by at part time jobs and driving bummy looking cars. I think sometimes a little struggle in life can make us better more appreciative people.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:12 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
i'm asian and our tradition is to pay for our children's entire college education and buy them their first car. that's a lot of money a parent has to save. do you plan to do the same?
Frankly, I think this is a wonderful tradition. The money doesn't all have to be saved. Scholarships and other grants can help with cost.

It does slay me that some parents think nothing of paying for a car, but come up with all sorts of rules about what they will and won't pay for college.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:21 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
i'm asian and our tradition is to pay for our children's entire college education and buy them their first car. that's a lot of money a parent has to save. do you plan to do the same?
Kids learn a lot of life lessons paying own college and paying own bills. I paid own college, took out zero loans, paid own car and paid my Mom rent and helped with bills during college.

Parents did not pay a nickle for any kids schools and all four kids have Masters degree. Heck my sister was Valedictorian of Queens college while working full time during school and completed her Masters Degree when she was 21 years old. Double major undergrad, double major grad and was published at 20.

My old Girlfirend lived in a three million dollar house and scrubbed toliets during college to pay her own tuition. Parents believed in a work ethic.

It was very hard to do and I am going to break down and pay my kids tuition but I have mixed feelings about it.

Then again I worked full time at Barclays bank at 18 while doing 18 credits in college at same time and belonged to a Frat. I only slept like 3-4 hours a night for four years.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:21 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
I think it's reasonable to pay for their education while having them pay for their own car.
I'm not Asian....my parents paid for about 75% of my education and also bought me my first car. however the car was about 8 years old and not very costly. I consider myself fortunate.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:56 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,466,326 times
My wife and I have set aside resources (and they are growing) to fund for 100% of my son's education. This 529 investment is after maxing out our 401Ks, IRAs and HSAs, and contributing sufficiently to our savings and taxable investment accounts. I am hoping he does well in his school so he gets into college on a scholarship, but we would not have any problems funding 100% of his education, if the choice came to (1) a good college without scholarship or (2) average college with scholarship.

Have not really given his first car a thought... ...

Old 01-26-2015, 09:51 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
My wife and I have set aside resources (and they are growing) to fund for 100% of my son's education. This 529 investment is after maxing out our 401Ks, IRAs and HSAs, and contributing sufficiently to our savings and taxable investment accounts. I am hoping he does well in his school so he gets into college on a scholarship, but we would not have any problems funding 100% of his education, if the choice came to (1) a good college without scholarship or (2) average college with scholarship.

Have not really given his first car a thought... ...
College you go to is not very important. The grad school is more important. In this case take free school and let college funds grow four more years and go get a Harvard MBA or Law Degree or go to Medical School.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:50 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,466,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
College you go to is not very important. The grad school is more important. In this case take free school and let college funds grow four more years and go get a Harvard MBA or Law Degree or go to Medical School.
IMO, one's peers matter. A good college to me is very important as it gives you an opportunity to learn from a high-quality academic staff, as well as mix and learn from class mates with (hopefully) similar interests. I never said the choice was between using the money for Bachelors or Masters. If my son graduates from a good college with a Bachelors, and he needs additional money for his Masters, we will not have any problem funding him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting