Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 04:59 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

Not anti-vax.
Vaccines are one of the mega game changers in all of human history.

This is an unnecessary vaccine.
Those do exist.
There is a rabies vaccine. You get it? There is a rattlesnake vaccine. You getting that? AIDS vaccine if there was one? I wouldn't.
Don't need to vaccinate for something caused by unlikely exposure or behavior.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:05 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
I cannot control my children's behavior forever, and I think the risk of exposure makes it worth giving them the vaccine. I respect those who choose differently regarding Gardasil, but only Gardasil. I think people are downright nuts for avoiding MMR, TDAP, and other childhood immunizations.

As for your other points...

If I worked in healthcare, particularly trauma, or as any kind of first responder, I would definitely consider an HIV vaccine.

Rattlesnake or rabies vaccine? Depends on my risk of exposure. In certain parts of the west, a rattlesnake vaccine might be a very good idea. My in-laws' neighbor here in Colorado finds them on his back patio regularly

Last edited by randomparent; 01-25-2015 at 05:26 PM..

Old 01-25-2015, 05:14 PM

You have to vaccinate 20,000 people to prevent one case of cancer. That's ridiculous.

1 in 20 for flu. Reasonable.

1 in 7 for measles. Great! Do it!

Think about these things.
Don't just do stuff bc people say so.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:16 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You have to vaccinate 20,000 people to prevent one case of cancer. That's ridiculous.

I have thought about it. That I came to a different conclusion than you does not indicate otherwise.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:17 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:

My daughter was vaccinated on the recommendation of one of her physicians -(one of the top physicians in his specialty in the area) based on a few things specific to her medical history . And the father of 4 daughters who were all vaccinated.

From randomparent:

Quote:
I cannot control my children's behavior forever, and I think the risk of
exposure makes it worth giving them the vaccine. I respect those who choose
differently regarding Gardasil, but only Gardasil. I think people are downright
nuts for avoiding MMR, TDAP, and other childhood immunizations.
I agree with this.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I have thought about it. That I came to a different conclusion than you does not indicate otherwise.
That I posted this is not an indication that I am personally attacking your decision to use this vaccine. However, I bet most people who have chosen to vaccinate their children didn't realize that it is a fairly useless vaccination. When we talk about administering medication to someone, we must always think about the risk and benefit ratio, and whether or not there's any good reason for doing it. These are the things that are always on my mind because of my profession. It's easy to just say what the hell? How can it hurt? But that's not the right way to think about it.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
My daughter was vaccinated on the recommendation of her physician - one of the top physicians in his specialty in the area. And the father of 4 daughters who were all vaccinated.

From randomparent:

I agree with this.
The "top physicians" have more than once recommended therapies that were later proven not only useless but harmful.
HRT is a perfect example of this. Everyone touted its benefits. Publication after publication. It was standard of care. Now it is harmed people and is no longer recommended except in certain populations for specific periods of time.

I don't mean to say the Gardasil is harming anyone. However, doctors are often only as good as the information presented to them.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:

What is your source for these numbers?
Study: States With Low HPV Vaccination Rates See Higher Cervical Cancer Rates

Quote:
Don't need to vaccinate for something caused by unlikely exposure or behavior.
Unlikely exposure or behavior? Having sex is unlikely?? Seriously???

Old 01-25-2015, 05:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
That I posted this is not an indication that I am personally attacking your decision to use this vaccine. However, I bet most people who have chosen to vaccinate their children didn't realize that it is a fairly useless vaccination. When we talk about administering medication to someone, we must always think about the risk and benefit ratio, and whether or not there's any good reason for doing it. These are the things that are always on my mind because of my profession. It's easy to just say what the hell? How can it hurt? But that's not the right way to think about it.
Just what do you mean "fairly useless" vaccine? Where is this coming from?

Old 01-25-2015, 05:26 PM

My source is the NIH. And nothing has proven to stop cervical cancer in its tracks as much as routine pap smears.

And I know it's really hard in this country to wrap your head around the idea of not sleeping with everything that moves, but there are actually a lot of people out there who are very discriminating about who they have sex with. And not all of them are religious kooks or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting