Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 10:17 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I would NEVER get this vaccine for my daughter! Her doctor asks me at every visit and I tell him NO.

This is just another way for the pharmaceutical companies to make big bucks (using scare tactics to get parents to vaccinate their kids with it!). It's also a new drug and no one knows the long-term effects of it.
My doc asked me once for each kid. I told him no and I told him why.

He has never asked me again.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:19 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
My doc asked me once for each kid. I told him no and I told him why.

He has never asked me again.
And that means absolutely nothing in the context of this discussion. He could have left the room rolling his eyes at your intransigence.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:20 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Any sexually active woman should have a visit with a doctor to discuss contraception and timing of Pap smears. the interval can be individualized and may not necessarily be annually. As I said before, doctors are going to shift over to screening for high risk HPV directly rather than screening for dysplasia with a Pap smear. Cervical cancer is an HPV disease. No HPV, pretty much no cancer. Those with high risk HPV can then be monitored more closely.

A lot of them didn't. I know one woman who had a mildly abnormal Pap, did not have the suggested six months follow-up (went three years without a Pap), and had cervical cancer at age 23. On average it takes 15 years for cancer to develop, but not always. She died despite treatment.

How does one identify a partner who carries a high risk strain of HPV but does not know it?

What "sickness" did they have and how was it confirmed that it was related to the vaccine?

The vaccine is not 100%, but it is very close. Pap smears do not prevent HPV, but the vaccine does.

FDA approves first human papillomavirus test for primary cervical cancer screening

Women who are identified with one of the two most common high risk strains can be sent directly to testing for precancerous conditions with a procedure called colposcopy. I expect that other high risk strains will be added to the screen.

The newer vaccine will prevent 90% of high risk HPV types. That means 90% of women will never (the vaccine appears to provide durable protection so far; the need for boosters has not been determined yet because the vaccine is too new to know) have a positive HPV screening test. Saying the vaccine will not prevent all cervical cancer does not mean it is not effective. A 90% effective rate is stupendous.

HPV is so common that you will not be able to educate away the risk, and you cannot prevent it with a condom. Your children may participate in sexual activities you personally would not, and there is no way for them to know whether a partner has HPV unless the partner tells or the partner has warts.

The fact that you do not understand how preventing HPV prevents cancer undermines your claim to specialized knowledge. Sorry, you cannot claim you read about some risk from the vaccine that has not been disclosed to the public and then say you will not share it, and your description of your "job" does not suggest you work in a lab if what you do is create written material for lay people to read.

The newer vaccine protects against the strains associated with 90% of HPV associated cancers. That is a hefty benefit. Maximizing that benefit requires vaccinating before the very first sexual experience of any kind.
I understand how preventing HPV can help prevent cancer. Where'd you get that I don't understand that.

I said it was not a cancer vaccine. It's not.

Pap smears can also help prevent cancer and they're not risky.

I'm done discussing this. I stated my opinion to the OP, and got accused by someone of being a damned anti-vaxxer.

/smh

Old 01-26-2015, 10:20 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Great, but people should not discount the importance of regular pap and HPV screenings, with or without the vaccine. It's dangerous discourage people from getting these important screenings, despite vaccination status.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:21 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
I understand how preventing HPV can help prevent cancer. Where'd you get that I don't understand that.

I'm done discussing this. I stated my opinion to the OP, and not accused of being a damned anti-vaxxer.

/smh
Once again, what are the documented risks that convinced you to forego the vaccine?

Actually, I'm confused by your conflicting statements in this thread. Did you turn down the vaccine because you believe it's ineffective, unnecessary, or dangerous?

Last edited by randomparent; 01-26-2015 at 10:40 AM..

Old 01-26-2015, 10:23 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Great, but people should not discount the importance of regular pap screenings, with or without the vaccine. It's dangerous discourage people from getting these important screenings, despite vaccination status.
I agree. People sometimes get complacent when medical advancements do what they are intended to. Gardasil works so declining numbers of people get pap smears. Childhood vaccines work, so we see less vaccine-preventable disease and people think we don't need to immunize. It's the same logic.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:24 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
And that means absolutely nothing in the context of this discussion. He could have left the room rolling his eyes at your intransigence.
Happens more than you might know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Great, but people should not discount the importance of regular pap screenings, with or without the vaccine. It's dangerous discourage people from getting these important screenings, despite vaccination status.
No one said people shouldn't have regular gyn visits. What test the dr does will be based on his/her clinical judgement. Currently, the recommendations for paps has not changed.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:29 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:

I'm done discussing this. I stated my opinion to the OP, and got accused by someone of being a damned anti-vaxxer.

/smh
By preventing HPV, which causes cancer, the vaccine prevents cancers caused by HPV. If you cannot understand how that works, you do not understand HPV.

Paps are not risky. Biopsies generated by abnormal Paps do indeed have risks associated with them, from bleeding to complications during pregnancy.

Prevent the HPV and you prevent the abnormal Pap and the need for biopsies.

Loop Electrosurgical Excision Procedure (LEEP) Causes, Symptoms, Treatment - LEEP Risks and Complications - eMedicineHealth

"LEEP Risks and Complications

Complications are not common following LEEP and occur in about 1% to 2% of women. These may include increased bleeding, infection, or narrowing (stenosis) of the opening of the cervix. LEEP has been associated with preterm labor in subsequent pregnancy and may require careful follow-up."

Preventing cancer sometimes means hysterectomy, too. You believe there is no risk associated with that?

Old 01-26-2015, 10:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:

/smh
RedZin, let me apologize for calling you anti-vax. I decided recently that people who say, "I'm not anti-vaccine but... " generally ARE anti-vax. In another post or two, and not just on this message board but NPR too and other boards, they go off on a huge anti-vax rant.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:34 AM

47 posts, read 60,395 times
Quote:
Thank you. My point.

I just got accused in this thread of being a damned anti-vaxxer for utilizing my brain and my ability to determine the risk/benefit profile of an unnecessary vaccine.

Good grief.

The HPV vaccine was the first childhood vaccine I refused outright.

Yeah. I'm an anti-vaxxer. LOL.
Thank you both RedZin, and Stan4 couldn't agree more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting