Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 10:28 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,233,521 times

Advertisements

No guys, sports and extra curriculars are not the same as a job. Just like sports and volunteering are not the same...or school and a job.
All of these things are valuable because they all foster different skill sets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 11:30 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,023,509 times
Kids have the rest of their lives to work. Most (barring a few talented and/or lucky ones) won't really have the chance to play sports, participate in theatre, etc. for very long.

I'm not saying it's harmful for teens to work, but I do think that their attention is going to falter somewhere. If you try to push a kid to work, do well in school AND participate in sports, there's a strong chance that they're going to slack off on at least one of these things. Not because they're bad kids but because they are being pushed too hard to do too much at a young age.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:37 AM

91 posts, read 92,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Wow you really went all over the place with this post.

1. When you are involved with other people, whether its serving on a board, playing a sport, learning to dance, participating in a speech and debate tournament, you are interacting with others and need to learn how to do so effectively. Add an hourly wage really doesn't change the game. You're either committed or you're not.

2. Children complete many tasks for themselves without a parent or teacher hovering about. As a matter of fact GOOD teachers and parents make sure this happens.

3. I'm almost 40 years old. Rarely have I felt the level of satisfaction of earning a paycheck to be equal to the satisfaction of many of my other accomplishments in life. Yes, earning money is good so you can pay bills and save to do things. But many of us don't live to work. I find other things much more gratifying.

4. Why does one need to learn how to handle a difficult boss at age 16 rather than 22? What is so much better at 16 than 22?

5. Extracurricular activities are great for adults and children alike. Being involved with activities is good for the body, the brain and the soul. You went off the deep end with this part of your post. Do you have children? The extracurriculars my children are involved in are nothing like what you posted. Not everyone does a good job but trying is encouraged.

If anything is a "herd mentality" it is the idea that the only valid satisfaction one should value is something that produces money.
Uh-huh. What are they preparing for? Life in a barter economy? I'm not defending either/ or...I think exposure to everything is best. I'm just addressing the slant against work that this thread seems to have. As far as the rest of my post, I stand by it. Don't kid youself into thinking that certain things matter less, or not at all, because of age. Hard work at school is not hard work at work, and both have value. But, whether I have kids or not in no way affects my ability to make observations. Do you have kids? I bet you do. I can tell by your bias, and it always seems that asking someone if they have kids is the last refuge of a sensitive and irate parent.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:39 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
No guys, sports and extra curriculars are not the same as a job. Just like sports and volunteering are not the same...or school and a job.
All of these things are valuable because they all foster different skill sets.
What skill sets will my child learn from babysitting or working at a store that they will not learn from school, volunteering, extracurriculars or other life activities?

Old 01-27-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by empireghost View Post
Uh-huh. What are they preparing for? Life in a barter economy? I'm not defending either/ or...I think exposure to everything is best. I'm just addressing the slant against work that this thread seems to have. As far as the rest of my post, I stand by it. Don't kid youself into thinking that certain things matter less, or not at all, because of age. Hard work at school is not hard work at work, and both have value. But, whether I have kids or not in no way affects my ability to make observations. Do you have kids? I bet you do. I can tell by your bias, and it always seems that asking someone if they have kids is the last refuge of a sensitive and irate parent.
They are preparing for life. Period. Life is about more than earning a paycheck.

I do have children. I am not irate or sensitive. I find your position quite preposterous especially the part about herd mentality.

IMO and IME (which includes starting employment at the tender age of 12 years old) education, volunteering and extracurriculars are more valuable experiences than earning a paycheck at that age.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:53 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empireghost View Post
I don't see how you can really compare and quantify those two things side by side. School and work are two totally different envionments, each with its own unique elements to offer. Building sets, and learning dance steps is great...on to broadway. However, getting used to working is taking a step into real life. even if it is for only a few hours a week. Learning how to deal with real life people, adults, some of whom may be hostile, in a semi-professional business setting. Looking that adult in the eye, and speaking confidently to them, without being propped up by parents & teachers. The satifaction of being trusted to complete task, without a parent or teacher hovering about. The satifaction that comes with earning a pay check. Figuring out how to handle a difficult boss on your own, and actually growing to like and respect that boss. Making your own way...just a little. Those are things that stick with you. That's some of what the "minimum wage retail job", that you seem to have such disdain for, offers. All of these "extracurriculars" are just another symptom of today's hyper-scheduled youth. Controlled environments where everyone does a great job. Mommy drops you off and picks you up and always knows what you're doing, all under the guise of: "if you don't do this, you won't get into a good college..
I have to agree.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:56 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Kids have the rest of their lives to work. Most (barring a few talented and/or lucky ones) won't really have the chance to play sports, participate in theatre, etc. for very long.
What world do you live in that doesn't have adult league sports clubs or the ability to volunteer at a local community theater?

Old 01-27-2015, 12:12 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
My teenage grandchildren are fortunate that there is a family business they can work for during high school and college breaks. It is a wonderful confidence builder, as well as a way for them to save money for car insurance and college. Whether or not they learn the value of money seems to depend more upon the personality of each child than the fact they work. The oldest has half the first dime ever made, and he'll always be thrifty. His sister spends everything she makes, and the jury is still out on #3 child.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:23 PM

384 posts, read 507,948 times
I'm not there yet with my kids, but based on my own time as a teenager I believe it will be best if my kids are ALWAYS involved in some activity in addition to school. Play a sport or time equivalent (dance, science club, etc), or work. That work might be watching smaller kids after school, tutoring, whatever, but I don't want my kids to come home at 3pm and have a couple hours to "kill" before we get there.

Again, this is based on a lot of anecdotal evidence and my own personal experience, but free time is not a good thing for teenagers. I personally played sports pretty much year round, and then worked in the summers (and I'd had a paper route from the time I was 10). And even with that I still managed to get in SOME trouble. My friends that didn't have to work and didn't have any sort of almost daily commitments - well, trouble seemed to find them a little easier (and that's only counting when we/they got caught!).

Old 01-27-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
What world do you live in that doesn't have adult league sports clubs or the ability to volunteer at a local community theater?
A world where I have children and other responsibilities like work, family, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting