Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 03:26 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,355,702 times

Advertisements

I know of a bi-racial teen who is very rebellious. I have to wonder maybe she gets teased at school being that she looks nothing like her mom. Her mom is white and her dad is African-American. Her skin is very dark like her father
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 03:40 PM

5,204 posts, read 4,665,923 times
Kids will tease and torment others for anything, names, clothing, background. Have you never been a kid before? It doesn't make it right but this stuff is just too common.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:01 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,316,817 times
It depends a lot on the family dynamics.
My BIL is happily married to an Ethiopian lady, they have been together for over 25 years now and both their kids are well adjusted (they're grown up now). I'm not saying it's always been easy, they may have had to work harder at times, but things are just fine.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:48 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,700,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I know of a bi-racial teen who is very rebellious. I have to wonder maybe she gets teased at school being that she looks nothing like her mom. Her mom is white and her dad is African-American. Her skin is very dark like her father
Depends on the family dynamics and not much else ...there are many great biracial kids and minority kids.

Skin color determines skin color...that is it. If she's being teased for being biracisl it's because the area is tolerating racism and the adults are either turning a blind eye or encouraging it.

it's s a shame that you are looking down your nose and blaming skin because of one child's rebellion...that is the same as blaming the rebellion of a middle class white kid on skin color...and heavens know you wouldn't do that.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:56 PM

22,556 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
I know of a bi-racial teen who is very rebellious. I have to wonder maybe she gets teased at school being that she looks nothing like her mom.
That is quite a jump.

All teens are rebellious.... skin color usually isn't a factor.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:59 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Quote:
I know of an African American teen that is very rebellious. Her skin is very dark like her parents.

I know of a White teen that is very rebellious. Her skin is very light like her parents.

I know of an Asian American teen that is very rebellious. Her skin tone is like her parents.

I hope that illustrates how ridiculous your assumption is OP.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:36 PM

894 posts, read 1,049,778 times
It probably depends on where you live. I'm on the West Coast where it's common to see bi-racial families, so mixed kids aren't exactly an anomaly. I would imagine parenting would be arguably harder in areas that aren't as diverse or tolerant.

For what it's worth, teens in general tend to be rebellious, it has little to do with race.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:40 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,355,702 times
k srry all for the assumption.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:10 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
I have two grown kids, neither one of whom were rebellious teens. Difficult at times but not necessarily rebellious. One is bio Caucasian and other is adopted Asian.

Now we have tow adopted Asian pre-teens. Don't anticipate anything different.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:17 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,280 times
my daughter is bi-racial. When she was little (and in Catholic school) she was told that I'm not her mother because I'm white and white moms can't give birth to brown babies. She was also told she has "no color" because I'm white and her father is black.

One time, I bought her one of those big 64 count boxes of Crayola crayons. She was in her room drawing and coloring. All of a sudden, I hear a joyful shriek from her and she comes running out with a crayon and says "LOOK MOMMY! I FINALLY FOUND OUT WHAT COLOR I AM!! I DO HAVE A COLOR! I'M BRINGING THIS CRAYON TO SCHOOL TOMORROW TO SHOW EVERYONE! I was happy for her but, at the same time, sad because she was in a "Catholic" school where they are supposed to instill and reinforce Christian values. (needless to say, I pulled her out of that school as soon as I moved to a better school district and put her in public school where you have kids of every color)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting