Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 08:25 PM

685 posts, read 1,104,709 times

Advertisements

Sorry, but I guess reall heavy smokers have a very high tolerance bc I cannot imagine doing anything I do in my ordinary day, house cleaning, taking care of a baby and 3 year old, cooking, while high. I would actually think it's quite dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 08:36 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,082 times
No, because I don't smoke anything. Smoke stinks, no matter what you're smokin'.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:50 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,356,421 times
My mother did smoke. NEVER in front of us kids. My sister also smoked...also never in front of kids.

My state legalized it, if I were to choose to do that I would never do it in front of my childrens, just as I dont drink in front of them.

This isn't complex.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:54 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,669,308 times
Just as a comment, no adult in my immediate family uses pot. No child in my immediate family has ever seen a parent/uncle/aunt either stoned or drunk.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:38 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Why wouldn't it be? Now that I live in a state where it is legal, I have mixed thoughts on this. I don't smoke it, but what if I did? I drink in front of my kids. Is this really different, or is it just taboo because in "my day" it was an illegal drug?
This. Except that no one should be smoking anything around children, and parents shouldn't be smoking full stop. But eating it is no different from drinking around your children and the same rules would apply (have a sober person for child care, don't get drunk, etc).

I think parents that drink, but not in front of their children are missing out on teaching them immensely valuable lessons. I am very glad that my kids see my husband and I have the quick "who's driving" negotiation before the second glass of wine is poured. We've explained to them how food and alcohol content and individual tolerance affect how much/fast we will drink, and they've seen us mention that we are starting to feel the effects so we refuse more wine when its offered. I've explained to them about the physical reactions to large amounts of alcohol and how I don't like them, so I monitor how I feel before I have each glass. I watched my parents drink responsibly like this growing up and it definitely taught me how to stay safe as a teenager and adult.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:47 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post

This isn't complex.
I've always felt the same way, that it was a pretty clear cut black and white issue. I've never been around anyone who's smoked pot when there are children around so just took it as a given that one wouldn't do it. Thus my confusion in this particular situation - and I'm not easily confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
We've explained to them how food and alcohol content and individual tolerance affect how much/fast we will drink, and they've seen us mention that we are starting to feel the effects so we refuse more wine when its offered. I've explained to them about the physical reactions to large amounts of alcohol and how I don't like them, so I monitor how I feel before I have each glass. I watched my parents drink responsibly like this growing up and it definitely taught me how to stay safe as a teenager and adult.
Maybe that's how this family deals with it. I don't know. MJ isn't (yet) legal where I live but it's generally tolerated.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:31 PM

366 posts, read 410,680 times
I would never smoke anything in a room where my kids are.

That said, I have no problem drinking or whatever in front of my kids. It's important to model responsible use. I don't use marijuana, but I do casually use alcohol. They will never see me stumble drunk but hopefully they'll see that a person can drink one or two without losing control and how to deal with not driving after having drinks.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:37 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,467,632 times
Legal or not, there are certain things I would not do in front of children.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:50 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,473,413 times
The issues I see with this are primarily related to the influence you have as a role model for your kids. Your kids WILL do what you do. Drugs (and alcohol, for that matter) are proven to have a different affect in children's still-growing brains than on adults. If you read that article (or listen to the podcast) you'll see that not only are children's brains permanently damaged by drug use, they are also much more addiction prone than adults. Using any kind of drug where your child can see you doing it sets a horrible example and puts them at risk for use. Did you know the brain literally doesn't grow as much brain matter in people who used drugs in adolescence?

Old 02-08-2015, 03:42 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
The issues I see with this are primarily related to the influence you have as a role model for your kids. Your kids WILL do what you do. Drugs (and alcohol, for that matter) are proven to have a different affect in children's still-growing brains than on adults. If you read that article (or listen to the podcast) you'll see that not only are children's brains permanently damaged by drug use, they are also much more addiction prone than adults. Using any kind of drug where your child can see you doing it sets a horrible example and puts them at risk for use. Did you know the brain literally doesn't grow as much brain matter in people who used drugs in adolescence?
Use is not dangerous, misuse is. And research shows that education and positive role models reduce harm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting