Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 03:06 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,492,508 times

Advertisements

Needless and ineffectual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 05:23 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Atlanta (CNN)Never has a single haircut caused such a fuss.

Some call it the "Benjamin Button Special;" others the "old man" cut.

In either case, it's supposed to be the cure for a misbehaving boy. A little bit of shame to get him back on track.

Is the 'old man' haircut the solution for misbehaving kids? - CNN.com
Shaming children into behaving is not discipline or teaching them proper conduct.

It's adults being bullies and inventing an excuse.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:55 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
I wouldn't do it, but I do not walk in that man's shoes, so who am I to judge ? We see complaints on here all the time about black Fathers (and this man is obviously black) not taking an interest in the raising of their children, and here is a man who loves his enough to want them to do well and do the right things.

We can't have it both ways, people. He didn't beat them, he simply made a point that they were not doing right and he wanted them to do better. Hair grows back, but bad habits last a lifetime. I bet with a Father this watchful of his kids we will not be seeing his kids turn out to be thugs.

Personally, my hat is off to the man.

Don

Old 02-05-2015, 06:25 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I wouldn't do it, but I do not walk in that man's shoes, so who am I to judge ? We see complaints on here all the time about black Fathers (and this man is obviously black) not taking an interest in the raising of their children, and here is a man who loves his enough to want them to do well and do the right things.

We can't have it both ways, people. He didn't beat them, he simply made a point that they were not doing right and he wanted them to do better. Hair grows back, but bad habits last a lifetime. I bet with a Father this watchful of his kids we will not be seeing his kids turn out to be thugs.

Don
Next time you make a mistake at work you gonna let your boss give you a bad hair cut so all your coworkers know? Will that teach you to be a better employee?

Race does not matter....the other options are not beating a child...just as this not disipline in the least.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:51 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,486,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Don
Why is your hat off to a man for treating his child in a way you would not treat your own? Is publicly humiliating a child only acceptable when that child is black?

There is a medium between uninvolved parent and loving parent that doesn't involve degradation, humiliation, or abuse. Many parents, yes, even black parents, manage to raise their children without beating them or shaming them on social media. What this parent did is wrong, and it's just as wrong to lower parenting standards for black children.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:34 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Shaming children into behaving is not discipline or teaching them proper conduct.

It's adults being bullies and inventing an excuse.
This. ^ ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Why is your hat off to a man for treating his child in a way you would not treat your own? Is publicly humiliating a child only acceptable when that child is black?

There is a medium between uninvolved parent and loving parent that doesn't involve degradation, humiliation, or abuse. Many parents, yes, even black parents, manage to raise their children without beating them or shaming them on social media. What this parent did is wrong, and it's just as wrong to lower parenting standards for black children.
And this. ^ ^

Old 02-05-2015, 08:42 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
I have a better solution. Why not put misbehaving children in the stocks at a public square in every city? Those passing by could be encouraged to throw rotten fruit at them and hurl insults. That'll teach those kids!

Truly, I am surprised at the number of posts I find here in the parenting forum advocating harsh and punitive treatment for children.

I find it more a mirror into adults sometimes than a true reflection of the problems with their children.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:02 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Truly, I am surprised at the number of posts I find here in the parenting forum advocating harsh and punitive treatment for children.
Interestingly most of those posts seem to be from non-parents.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:20 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,432,246 times
Shaming is not a good idea...I think it would come back in revenge behavior...besides is it
teaching that when you grow up you too can shame, smack, belittle, or embarrass kids...but
they can't do that to adults because it's not nice?

Old 02-05-2015, 09:22 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
In Atlanta gang rape and armed robbery are considered misbehaving
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting