Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 09:17 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,454 times

Advertisements

Ok, I have a almost 3, 10 and 11 year old boys. We are in the midst of potty training the little one. He is doing rather well with it except for the fact that he needs to be butt naked to go sit on the potty. It doesn't bother me at this point, whatever works for now so that he will go.

Here is the problem, he will strip naked where ever he is at and bolt to the bathroom no matter who is there. The neighbor kids who are aged 8-11 absolutely freak out over this. They make a huge deal over the fact that a little toddler is naked. I am trying not to make an issue over this but I don't want my son to develop a phobia or something. When it has happened I tell them he is 2 not a big deal but doesn't seem to matter.

Am I making a mountain out of a molehill or should I be concerned. I know it is silly but I am not sure how to approach it. Never had this issue before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 09:27 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
I could see where the neighbor kids would be a little and I mean a teeny wee little bit "freaked out" but not to the point that it makes them uncomfortable to where they go on and on about it. Have you talked to their parents? I would just to make sure they understand what is going on before their kids come home and the truth has been totally blown out of proportion. I would also ask if the other parent would mind talking to their kids to help them understand that small children don't understand the problem w/ being naked. My youngest was like that and she would come out of the bathroom butt naked after a bath thinking it was fine no matter who was there (that botherred me though since it could be a total stranger to her). Little toddlers are like that though and the kids making a big deal about it probably did the same thing if they asked their parents. How are the older siblings w/ it? If they pretend to act like it is no big deal and don't pay any attention to their younger brother when he jumps up from the middle of playing or whatever and strips to run off to do his business then maybe the others will get the hint that it is okay. Have the older siblings say something to the kids when it happens like, "chill, it's okay he just needs to go to the bathroom and doesn't know you don't need to take everything off before you get there. If you don't pay him any attention when it happens then maybe he won't do it anymore. Right now your giving him something that he realizes can freak you out."

Good luck w/ the potty training

Old 01-09-2008, 09:34 AM

The older ones don't fuss about it when no one is home, but if the others happen to be over they blow it all out of proportion. Fitting in I guess. The little one doesn't seem to pay any mind to their reactions as he is running for the bathroom stripping as he goes. I guess I was just surprised at the others reactions to it. I will talk to the others parents. Hadn't thought about it being blown out of proportion. Thanks.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:55 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,808 times
Why not just teach him that he doesn't have to remove his shorts and underwear UNTIL he's in the bathroom?

Old 01-09-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
Why not just teach him that he doesn't have to remove his shorts and underwear UNTIL he's in the bathroom?
We are working on that. I do stop when him when I can catch him taking off his clothes and hustle him off to the bathroom. The instances where this has happened I was in another room and he had already stripped before I got there. My problem is with the reactions of other children not my son. Not much to be confused over.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:23 AM

36,524 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Im surprised the other kids are so freaked out by a nude 2 yr. old.
My newphew did the naked potty until he was about 7. The first time I saw it, they were visiting my mother and he was doing naked cartwheels across the living room. I asked his om what he was doing and she said going to the bathroom. LOL.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:50 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
My problem is with the reactions of other children not my son. Not much to be confused over.
But, the OTHER children and their reactions aren't the problem... your son and his actions are. Until this is acknowledged, the REAL problem won't be addressed appropriately. All you can do is control your own child... not the reaction or behavior of these other children. The other children are just reacting normally to what is an inappropriate display of nudity... which embarrasses them at their age, especially in a mixed group.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-09-2008 at 10:58 AM..

Old 01-09-2008, 10:57 AM

22,162 posts, read 19,213,038 times
In my experience as a parent, some kids just don't like to keep their clothes on period. Also once they get a reaction it can feed the clothes removal behavior. With my 3 sons we emphasized some things are for private only, like in the bedroom or bathroom, including displaying genitals, also touching genitals. Not that it was bad or wrong, just "this is for private time in the bathroom or bedroom." Not a big deal, more like manners or etiquette. And that private parts are not for other people to see or touch.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:23 PM

I guess I should have phrased my question better. I feel the children's response to my son is over the top. I guess I am asking how to handle their reactions not how to keep my child dressed. I had been working with and still am working with my son explaining over and over to him only to get undressed in the bathroom. He is 2.5, it takes a little while for stuff to sink in. My worry is others freaking out shouting oh my he's naked, ewww, etc....and going on and on, may negatively influence him somehow. I didn't have issues like this with my older kids. I guess I am just surprised that children who all have younger siblings would react this way. Apparantly it is normal.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:34 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
The neighbor kids sound weird and probably have weird neurotic parents of some sort. I would not pay it any mind. If they really can't stand to see a naked toddler they can avert their eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting