Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 03:48 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,428,520 times

Advertisements

ksl.com - 'Mean Mom' Sells Son's Car After Misdeed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 04:10 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
This is great.

It is a bit mean to humiliate him like that, but I do not Believe for a minute that the booze was not either his, or at least put there with his permission.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:44 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Excellent!! I would not hesitate to sell a car under those circumstances either but I never would have thought to put an ad in the paper.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:47 PM

371 posts, read 2,029,834 times
More hutzpa then I would ever have. I'm on the fence on this one.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:06 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
I guess he should be more careful with the company he keeps, if indeed the alcohol was not his.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:50 AM

394 posts, read 2,003,152 times
He is 19, I find it odd that his mom bought him a car. He should be working full-time and paying mom $$ for rent, or going to college that age, not having his mother buy him a car. Even so, I am not sure selling it was the best option. I wonder how he will get to work/school, here we have no public transportation. And young drivers need driving experience to become good drivers. We have two teenagers; faced with that situation we would only allow them to drive to work, and nothing else, for a good long time. That way they are being punished, but still gaining driving experience. Of course where we live knowing how to drive is an essential life skill since there is no public transportation, so maybe I am viewing things differently. Our kids have taken long driving courses, but they are hardly expert, safe drivers, only time and experience will give them that.

It's not that we don't have experience with DUI either, my dh's brother died as a teenager from a DUI accident.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:21 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,957,930 times
I don't see anything wrong with what she did. She did humiliate him....good.....a little humility never killed anyone....drunk driving has. Besides that ....he'd be a lot worse off if she didn't take care of it right now. It was effictive - I bet he'll never do it again. I don't care he's 19 - still too young to let him get away with it.

She was awesome.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:31 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,564 times
I applaud her.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:54 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,927,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustamom View Post
He is 19, I find it odd that his mom bought him a car. He should be working full-time and paying mom $$ for rent, or going to college that age, not having his mother buy him a car. Even so, I am not sure selling it was the best option. I wonder how he will get to work/school, here we have no public transportation. And young drivers need driving experience to become good drivers. We have two teenagers; faced with that situation we would only allow them to drive to work, and nothing else, for a good long time. That way they are being punished, but still gaining driving experience. Of course where we live knowing how to drive is an essential life skill since there is no public transportation, so maybe I am viewing things differently. Our kids have taken long driving courses, but they are hardly expert, safe drivers, only time and experience will give them that.

It's not that we don't have experience with DUI either, my dh's brother died as a teenager from a DUI accident.

HE should have thought of all that.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:24 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
I LOVE IT and my hat is off to her. My oldest, who incidentally is now an attorney, got a new car for high school graduation on a Thursday. Friday night was graduation and he took his beautiful new Eagle Talon or whatever they were called out ... and promptly got a DWI 3 miles from our house. The car got towed - there went some allowance money - I signed him out of jail and at 10:00 Sat. a.m. we were standing on the car lot returning the car, and he had to explain to the man just exactly why we were taking advantage of our 3 day grace period to return and break a contract. I doubt seriously that humiliated him as much as picking up trash with the jail crew in a bright orange vest on the side of the highway where he got stopped for the next six Saturdays, but whatever. And I heard all about how .07 is not even legally drunk, blah, blah, blah. I was not impressed...at 18 he learned a lesson the hard way. I think this other kid got off easy - he didn't eat $800 in fines and have his DL suspended and his insurance premiums shoot through the roof to where he couldn't have afforded a car even if he'd had one. We lived that one, too.

Go moms...somebody's gotta do it. I also applaud her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting