Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 01:58 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
The thing is that the OP is an adult, paying rent to live somewhere. If a complete stranger was paying rent to live somewhere the landlord would not have the right to search. I don't think that changes just because the landlord is the tenant's parent.

If I were paying $1,200 per month to live somewhere and the landlord searched my stuff I would be irate.
If there are illegal substances in the house the homeowner can be liable. It's not even a landlord/tenant relationship though. Its a parent/child relationship.

OP needs to actually be an adult and move out. That's what adults do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 01:59 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
At $300 a week, you are a tenant ( and I have an extra bedroom for that price), so you can put a deadbolt on your bedroom.
Does your mother have reason to suspect anything? If not, take your money and run.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:01 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
If there are illegal substances in the house the homeowner can be liable. It's not even a landlord/tenant relationship though. Its a parent/child relationship.

OP needs to actually be an adult and move out. That's what adults do.
A landlord can't just rifle through the things of a tenant.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:41 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
Quote:
A landlord can't just rifle through the things of a tenant.
Yes, a landlord can not legally rifle through your belongings. They can inspect the premises though.

This is a parent/child relationship though, not a landlord/tenant relationship.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:49 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR96 View Post
im 18 years old and my mom keeps going through my things. can she do this ? she wont tell me why or what shes looking for! can she do this???
If you live in her house, she can. Of course it's too bad you apparently don't have a better relationship which is based on mutual trust.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:53 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
OP- you are 18 ( of legal age) and paying rent. Your have legally established a tenancy. Doesn't matter if it's in your mom's house. You're technically & legally a tenant.

You would be within your rights to put a deadbolt/ padlock on your door. However, if you can afford $1200 a month in rent, it's better just to move out. It's time to go.

Your mom feels you're under her roof and doesn't see you as an adult. When things get to this point, it's better to just get on with your life elsewhere.

Last edited by willow wind; 02-19-2015 at 04:58 PM..

Old 02-19-2015, 03:55 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Why would one adult have the right to look through another adult's stuff?
Because whatever is in the house is the responsibility of the homeowner, unless there is a signed lease.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreco5 View Post
If you live in her house, yes.
You need to look up your state emancipation age. If your at the age your state makes it; then no she legally cannot go thru your things. You have as Supreme Court ruled a expectation of privacy. But they can also kick you out; so you decide. By the way if she cleans your room that can chnage every ting as to what she can do. Its a suit on privacy not a search criminal law because a citizen can no do a illegal search.That is why if she finds illegal contraband she can turn it into police and they can use it against you. as evidence. No illegal search involved because your mother did it.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:13 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR96 View Post
im 18 years old and my mom keeps going through my things. can she do this ? she wont tell me why or what shes looking for! can she do this???
May or can? Can means "able" and, if you live in her house, the answer is yes. Even if you pay rent and have a signed lease, some landlords have written into leases that they can enter the premises under certain conditions. However, that's an entirely different situation. If it's her property, she can make the rules.

May is different. It means "Yes, you have my permission." So she is violating your privacy and invading your space. So maybe it's a bit unethical, but this is a personal problem you need to settle with your mother.

Since we do not know you personally, it's difficult to say why a mother would go through her 18 year old child's personal belongings, but maybe there's a reason. Again, you need to sit down and discuss this problem with her.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
May or can? Can means "able" and, if you live in her house, the answer is yes. Even if you pay rent and have a signed lease, some landlords have written into leases that they can enter the premises under certain conditions. However, that's an entirely different situation. If it's her property, she can make the rules.

May is different. It means "Yes, you have my permission." So she is violating your privacy and invading your space. So maybe it's a bit unethical, but this is a personal problem you need to settle with your mother.

Since we do not know you personally, it's difficult to say why a mother would go through her 18 year old child's personal belongings, but maybe there's a reason. Again, you need to sit down and discuss this problem with her.
No; landlords are allowed only reasonable inspection rights and a search is never reasonable by landlord. What she can do is kick him /her out at age of emancipation. But if not then privacy expectation applies. If you look at court you'll also see what is reasonable inspection by a landlord. If your a landlord then you might want to learn what a reasonable inspection is or face trespassing charges. There is a reason these got as far as Supreme Court because they have been charged and they held up thru Supreme Court. If what you think were true then a motel clerk could enter your room and search your belonging or you could search a visitors suitcase if you so desired. Its also the reason for emancipation age ;to give parents with legal custody rights to do what they couldn't otherwise in raising children.

Last edited by texdav; 02-19-2015 at 04:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting