Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 12:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,021 times

Advertisements

If you are paying rent you should have privacy if you don't have it you should move. Do not disrespect your parent in their own home yes it is there home. What is the rest of the story you are telling. We have not heard their side of the story. I only know what you are saying I have a question for you. Are you having sex with men in there home are you bringing stranger in there home that they don't know. Are you using foul language with them and other, are you drinking and doing drugs in there home. I know from experience that some 18 year fill a sense of empowerment at this time and fill that there parents should not tell them anything hello. They must fill that you cannot be trusted; they do not know who you are. The person you have become cannot be trusted. This might be there method to encouraging you to leave the nest with out telling you, maybe you should take the hint. And be grateful for all they have done for you up to now. You fill you are a adult. Thanks them for what they have done and state," it is time for me to move own. Remember you get one life to live,at least you can say I did it my way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 01:05 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR96 View Post
jest a bit more info i pay 300 a week to live in the house so i do pay rent
You can come live w me for half that. AND I don't snoop.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:14 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Thus my second comment momma bear. Families are more complicated than a purely tenant/landlord situation. He can pay for a lawyer and take her to court, sure. He could call the cops, sure. Does it mean he/she should?

The mom can also legally evict the adult child too. Does it mean she should?

Yes, the OP pays money to the household. Yes, the mom is snooping. Now what?
The law is simple and according to the law the son is an adult, tenant and under the law she cannot just go through his things because she feels like it. Of course, the law part is simple. It's the family stuff that is complicated. You are right about that.

I don't think that just because the mother can evict the son, she should do so. I do think she needs to leave his stuff alone.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:54 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Not true. The presence or absence of a lease is not what makes a person a tenant. It is the payment of rent that makes one a tenant.
What case law are you citing?

Old 02-21-2015, 03:11 PM

106 posts, read 140,888 times
Oh I would so mess with her. Go get one of those blow up dolls dress it in your moms bra and panties tack a Hi Mom note to it and sit it in your closet. Tell her next time she goes through your things you'll decorate the neighborhood with her undies. She wont like it but at the board your paying you could afford yourself a nice little place.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:50 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
I think if you're living in your Mom's home she has limited rights "to go through your things"... im stressing "limited" here. . .

As an adult (or at least legally an adult) your Mom should provide you with an reasnable expectation of privacy IN YOUR ROOM. . . I dont really think it's OK if she just waltz's in your room while you're not there and snoops through your drawers, closets, personal belongings, etc..... I think that's private. HOWEVER, an exception would be if ur mom perhaps suspects something is wrong. . Maybe she suspects drug use? Maybe she suspects stealing, etc?....then perhaps... But if you're just kinda doing your thing and living your life in a sensible manner, thenI believe ur mom should respect u and just leave ur room to you.

I remember my mom would sometimes go through my things while I wasn't home and it drove me up a wall. She would usuall say things like "I decided to do a load of darks and need more darks for the washer and OOPS!" would go through my closet and drawers. I was always like "Mom, u know I do my own laundry, why do u feel the need to do it for me?" Her response: "I needed more darks (or whites) to make a full load"...it was her excuse to snoop...

And of course she found things. Typical teen things. I remember my mom found like this ghetto rigged tin foil pipe I made to smoke some weed with my friends once. . . The thing was at least 4 months old, but I never threw it out because I was scared my mom would find it in the trash so I just kinda hid it and forgot about it. .

Got so annoyed by that, but her house, her rules I guess.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:02 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Thus my second comment momma bear. Families are more complicated than a purely tenant/landlord situation. He can pay for a lawyer and take her to court, sure. He could call the cops, sure. Does it mean he/she should?

The mom can also legally evict the adult child too. Does it mean she should?

Yes, the OP pays money to the household. Yes, the mom is snooping. Now what?
I had this situation with my brother.

Everything was fine for a year while I rented a room to him.

Then he started thinking he could do whatever he wanted.

If he was a tenant, I'd evict him.

So I just went in the room and corrected it. Problem (mostly) solved.

He could call the cops.

They'd do nothing seeing it was a family issue.

Though I could still evict him.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:00 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
Quote:
im 18 years old and my mom keeps going through my things. can she do this ? she wont tell me why or what shes looking for! can she do this???
If you own it no.
If she owns it yes.
Ex: If your phone bill is in your name she cant take or go through it. If you live with her she can search your room.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:48 PM

399 posts, read 568,185 times
Quote:
im 18 years old and my mom keeps going through my things. can she do this ? she wont tell me why or what shes looking for! can she do this???
Only if your things are in her house. If you don't want her going through them, get your own home.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:52 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:

If you live at home, absolutely. If my kids live with me after 18 anything they bring into my home that could potentially create a risk for me is fair game for search and seizure. Live in my house, you follow my rules.

If you live in your own home, the only time I am going to look through your things is if you either ask me to, or I know you have a "problem" that could affect your health and well-being and I am trying to protect you. Aside from that, you're grown and can make your own decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting