Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 12:13 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I say it all the time. It takes 10 seconds? They tell me the truth including if they've already asked him. NBD
On big things sure...but asking to go to a friends home? My husband would winder why I could make up my own mind if I felt I had to consult about everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 01:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I'm confused.

Here you say that the girl's dad should have advised his wife he said no. I'm not even touching why it's mom's responsibility to call the friend when the conversation is between dad and daughter.
Please read my posts again! I AGREED with you! !!!!

Old 03-19-2015, 02:09 PM

40 posts, read 72,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
And what happens if they go to a planned movie where cells have to be turned off or to some other (planned) activity where they might not hear a phone, such as ice skating, and your plans change? You can't plan out every contingency.
That's different because it's a planned activity. This was not. Or if the Grandparents did plan it they didn't tell the other child's parent(s) (the OP). That is the big problem here; communication.
Even if someone thinks it's ok to do something with someone else's child, they should always ask. That covers them if something happens and is respectful. If they tell someone ahead of time, they won't have to worry about being somewhere where a phone can't be used or heard.
In this day and age of technology, there is no excuse to not communicate with another parent. I get that this was the grandparents but they still need to be up on the times and know that most parents like communication.

Regarding the daughter, if she knew she was "playing them" and purposely did it, then yes, that's even more reason for her to be in trouble. If she honestly, innocently didn't think to tell the mom the dad said no, or that she should be telling her parents what they were doing, then I don't think she should be in that much trouble. Maybe a stern talking to and talking with the other kid's parents and grandparents. For a kid, sometimes that's embarrassing enough and enough punishment.

I do think the OP should have talked with the Grandparents before, but maybe she never expected them to not communicate with her if she never had that happen before.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:48 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
On big things sure...but asking to go to a friends home? My husband would winder why I could make up my own mind if I felt I had to consult about everything.
That's not why I ask. I'm not asking him permission to give them permission. I'm making sure they haven't already asked him to go.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Please read my posts again! I AGREED with you! !!!!
See I thought she disagreed with you....

Old 03-19-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
See I thought she disagreed with you....
No, I disagreed with you!

Old 03-19-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerciBeaucoup View Post
That's different because it's a planned activity. This was not. Or if the Grandparents did plan it they didn't tell the other child's parent(s) (the OP). That is the big problem here; communication.
Even if someone thinks it's ok to do something with someone else's child, they should always ask. That covers them if something happens and is respectful. If they tell someone ahead of time, they won't have to worry about being somewhere where a phone can't be used or heard.
In this day and age of technology, there is no excuse to not communicate with another parent. I get that this was the grandparents but they still need to be up on the times and know that most parents like communication.

Regarding the daughter, if she knew she was "playing them" and purposely did it, then yes, that's even more reason for her to be in trouble. If she honestly, innocently didn't think to tell the mom the dad said no, or that she should be telling her parents what they were doing, then I don't think she should be in that much trouble. Maybe a stern talking to and talking with the other kid's parents and grandparents. For a kid, sometimes that's embarrassing enough and enough punishment.

I do think the OP should have talked with the Grandparents before, but maybe she never expected them to not communicate with her if she never had that happen before.
That's not the point I was responding to. The mom I was responding to wants to be informed of her child's every movement, in case her plans change. You simply can't plan for every single thing that might ever happen.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:30 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
That's not why I ask. I'm not asking him permission to give them permission. I'm making sure they haven't already asked him to go.
So? If you don't have a problem with them going...what's the issue? Going to a friends house is not a major issue. If one parent has such a huge issue about something and they aren't just being lazy...then they need to communicate this to the other parent....not punish the kid.

You really clear every choice you make with your children by someone else?

Old 03-20-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
No, I disagreed with you!
I know you did! (why are we using exclamation points???)

I said, "I thought she disagreed with you...."

Old 03-20-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
So? If you don't have a problem with them going...what's the issue? Going to a friends house is not a major issue. If one parent has such a huge issue about something and they aren't just being lazy...then they need to communicate this to the other parent....not punish the kid.

You really clear every choice you make with your children by someone else?
No I don't clear every choice I make for my children. I make sure they didn't already ask my husband. There's a difference.

I understand you are getting off on the idea that I am under the power of my husband in some way but it would be nice if you stuck with what I actually said.

I may not have a problem with my child going to his friend's house but if my husband already said no, then the answer is no. Same as if I already said no. Got it yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting