Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should schools close when the temperature is below 0F?
Yes 28 25.69%
No 81 74.31%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 05:15 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Why not?
Because they are two different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 05:27 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
You cannot make a blanket statement and say, "All schools should close at 0 F or below." You really have to look at individual areas. People in the northern states are prepared for cold weather with proper jackets, boots, etc. People in the southern states are not. The policy around here is windchill must be -35 or -40 for school to be cancelled or late. That is windchill, not actual temp. The other morning it was close...probably around -33 windchill. Schools were in session.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:29 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
Oh, and should add the policy on going out for recess is 0. Any combination of a 0 F temperature or wind chill of 0 F results in indoor recess. Any warmer than that, kids are outside.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:39 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
So....I live in the city of Chicago. When we get a wind chill factor of -30 to -40 and you have to hike 1 mile to school on icy and snowy sidewalks that sometimes are plowed but many times not (it's up to the homeowner on that street) I actually appreciate that they are closing the schools. Many kids also takes the CTA ( buses and subways ) to and from school. In the end it's for the safety of those kids who don't have a short walk or parents who can give them a ride.

Besides,we close for wind chills not temperatures. Schools here are still open at 0 degrees.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:44 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
I was ambivalent about this...we sent kids to school in NY in low temps and they all survived just fine. They knew how to keep track of their gloves and hats, and they would wear their snow boots every day and line them up in the hallway outside the classroom.

But my mom's next door neighbor in VA is a bus driver. He said that when the temps are that low, the likelihood of a school bus battery being dead are really high at these low temps. Some fleets have the ability to plug batteries in overnight, and some just don't have the equipment. Which leaves kids standing on bus stops for long periods of time....not good.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:24 PM

341 posts, read 412,392 times
Never did when I was a kid, and parents still got to work!

Old 02-21-2015, 09:26 PM

341 posts, read 412,392 times
Only reason CPS did is because last year the teachers union yelled at them. The teachers union in Chicago is to strong!

Old 02-21-2015, 10:37 PM

766 posts, read 1,395,010 times
I'm not reading all 12 pgs of this thread. Should schools close when the temp gets below 0? Seriously? Live far enough north in the U.S.A.... and that would mean that the kids hardly went to school, most of the winter! Want the kids in school all summer? Hardly!

I swear we have become a nation of wussies. Toughen up for the christ sake!

Old 02-22-2015, 02:34 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Moved from NC to Iowa when my girls were in 1st and 3d grade. Our house was on corner of bus stop.

Vivid memory of it being well below 0, watching bus stop.

ALL and i say ALL the kids had their heavy coats piled on the ground, running around in tee shirts while waiting on the bus.

Yep, mom and dad made them leave the house dressed for the cold, but the kids did not have time for that mess.

Wasn't long before my daughters did the same. No how matter how dire are warnings were to them.

Since that revelation, I just laugh at these threads and or discussions. Not one kid died, froze, or had aliens exit their chests!
lln,,,

as kids we use to have to walk thru a cow pasture to elementary school,,,not only thru the cold and snow,,,but hope the angry bulls weren't around,,,,made it interesting
many days the wind chill factor would be -10 to -20 below

and after school we'd all be outside playing, sliding, making snow forts in the cold
this built character,,,,,,

schools close now even before a storm arrives,,,, this has happened for 15 yrs now ,
this never ever happened when I was a kid- sometimes the weather forecasts are wrong, and the kids get an easy day off... but it makes it tough for parents because they need to provide child-care, or stay home from work

different world years ago.... as kids on the weekend, after our chores, we had to be/play outside, (this was before global warming , so it was colder back then)
I remember it being cold,,,but not severely cold,,,we always had mittens and hats and we were always moving/playing

why leave it at severe cold,,,lets just close the schools whenever it is below freezing 32 degrees, all in the name of kid/school safety,,,,,,who is going to argue against kid safety??

most of the working class, if they don't go to work,,,they don't get paid,,,,,
if this was true for superintendents and the principals and the teachers,,,,,
we'd have a totally different attitude..
if I got my pay for calling days off- sure id be calling days off,,,make up days in june are a joke,,,,the learnin/classes are just waiting to be done with,,,,teachers have the whole summer off- they want to start their huge vacation

Old 02-22-2015, 04:02 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,903,546 times
How ridiculous. But I guess it depends on where you live. Our kids go out to recess down to -20F. If it's colder then that, they have recess in the gym.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting