Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2015, 08:17 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I think it's probably because the establishment doesn't want to confront the parents about the damages done by the kids, for fear of offending/losing a customer. For one, I've heard it's Walmart's policy for employees not to confront customers, no matter what they're doing.

I'm really not sure how an establishment could force a customer to pay for items destroyed by the customer's children these days, so unless a parent offers to do so, or agrees to pay for the items when asked to do so, I bet it doesn't happen. The worst that often happens is that the customer and child(ren) get thrown out of the store. I'm not even sure how well the old "you break it, you bought it" works these days to cover store losses from damage.
They can't force the customer to pay and do not want to confront parents because goodness forbid someone suggest the person's child isn't perfect. (I'm also told that you can't actually force a customer to buy something said customer broke unless said item is in a locked cabinet.)

By the way, before anyone says that I'm not a parent so I'm not entitled to an opinion, my opinion is shared by others I know who work with me (and in other retail jobs) who are parents.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:49 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Because some of them are, and some of them aren't. Let's not pretend all of them are little saints either, especially not if they are in the midst of creating mayhem. Kids will be kids but if their parents don't teach them to behave in public it doesn't take long for them to turn into 'hooligans'.
BTW these types of 'rants' don't typically start out as an attack on children's behavior, it's a vent on the parents, but somehow some posters manage to twist it up into 'how dare those child haters complain about children'.....
And its usually nonparents starting the "innocent rants" because they have no ****ing clue what they are talking about and make a mountain out of a molehill.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
No one debates getting your chores/errands done. We all do. It's not that they cry, it's what YOU do when they cry that matters. Mine argued, mine cried but, I QUIETLY removed them from public areas out of RESPECT for other patrons. And believe it or not, I've been the first to SMILE when I see a Mom walk in with unruly kids....I PROACTIVELY tell them, "no worries, I raised 4" to which I have YET to receive anything but a gratuitous nod and smile appreciating the fact I appreciate what they are going through at that particular moment.
Good for you. I don't have the time to leave a store every time they have a meltdown, which is rare in the first place. You'll live.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Bobbie View Post
Gotta brag about my son -- he's been complimented by strangers for his well-behaved children, and he takes them everywhere. Even Post offices.
I've received multiple compliments on my boys' behavior as well. They are respectful, nice kids. But they are still kids and they have their moments. Too bad people don't want to understand that and choose to base the entirety of their opinion on a single incident. But, like I said earlier, I'm too old and tired to really care what ignorant people have to say.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Wow, so you're not supposed to control your obnoxious little snowflakes but we're supposed to change the way we think?

LOL.

And you wonder why so many folks just don't like being around noisy, ill-behaved children.
I hate being around noisy, ill behaved adults. I see those types MUCH MORE than I see badly behaved children. But hey its ok. Its their RIGHT to be an obnoxious ******* right?

Old 02-25-2015, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Such BS. I have been fully attentive to my daughters or sons melt down, even to the point of dragging them out of where we were and I still get the stink eye. People don't just want parents to react. They want kids to be either non existent or robots

Exactly! They want children to be seen and not heard!

Old 02-25-2015, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Interesting that people think kids are behaving worse today. It's not true, but heck, people thought that for a long time.

Spoiled Rotten - A Timeless Complaint (commentary) - Alfie Kohn

From 1962

From 1944

From 1911
I've said this numerous times. I'm a history buff. I've spent hours reading old, old newspapers. No matter the era I've happened across opinion pieces decrying the spoiled nasty youth of the current day. Some things never change. And by that I mean we will always have misunderstanding, mean, judgmental adults who just don't get it.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Not relevant
Do you have one child?

Old 02-25-2015, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
If you really don't know there are ways to teach children to behave other than slapping them around or screaming at them, I fear for the outcomes you will have as a parent.

I DO NOT BEAT THEM BECAUSE I KNOW THAT IS THE WRONG THING TO DO. I WAS RESPONDING TO OTHER IGNORANT POSTERS WHO SAID WE SHOULD BEAT OUR CHILDREN TO MAKE THEM BEHAVE.

Got it?

You can dispense with the snarky personal attacks at any time.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
That's not what she said
Thank you kibbiekat. I have a feeling Jukesgrl knew that but she just wanted to stir the **** a little more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting