Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 02:21 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times

Advertisements

If the circumstances are exactly as the OP presented, then the case should be thrown out. In some states, it's ok to shoot dead unarmed teens who (maybe) threaten adults, so a retaliatory punch is nothing. But, if you're going to do so, I would highly recommend making sure credible witnesses are around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 02:46 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudmouth View Post
The father was about forty and the bully was 15. The kid who was being beaten up was about 11. The father who is in jail was about 200 pounds of all muscle, the bully about 140 and in relatively good shape. The 11 year old kid was maybe 110 pounds.

The law says the father had to let the bully keep beating up his son until the police arrived. Is this right?
Two hundred pounds, all muscle and he can't restrain a kid he has 60 pounds on?

Your claim is wrong. The law does not say he had to let the bully keep hitting his kid. The law says he can't play Enforcer and hit a kid so hard he's sitting in jail (no bail?) until trial.

p.s. 140 ponds is not twice the size of 110 pounds.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 02-23-2015 at 03:00 PM..

Old 02-23-2015, 03:20 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,167 times
I don't know what the law is, but yes, a father should be able to do that. Otherwise, children are taught that they can do whatever they want with no consequences. Besides that, frankly, I think we involve the police into too many matters of everyday life, to the point we're almost a police state anymore, and I couldn't be more opposed to it. Around here, we handle our own problems for the most part--stray dog shows up, you take care of it yourself vs calling animal control, that sort of thing--and I think we're better for it.

When I was that age, I would have never touched an adult in that way, for one reason--as far as I was concerned, they had open season to whip my a-double-ss all day long, and in a healthy way I feared them insomuch that I respected their awesome power compared to me. It was a GOOD thing. Where I come from, if someone little is told that someone big isn't allowed to retaliate, guess what they do--they tease and taunt the other person and show no respect for proper behavior. You see the same thing with owners of little dogs who they never correct them because "they're so cute and little" etc, and the little dogs run around trying to bite everyone on the ankle, apparently not even aware what that human being is capable of given their larger size. I had one try that once on me, and I kicked the living snot out of it--it lived, and it absolutely never tried that mess with me ever again.

This thing of where we tell someone they can't use their God-given strength to fix a problem because it's "unfair" or it's "bullying" (speaking of the father taking care of matters) is utterly ridiculous. The law probably says otherwise, but as far as it concerns me, the father should be absolutely totally free to open up a can of woop-butt on that little brat to the point that he never even DREAMS of crossing his son EVER again.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:20 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Tell your neighbor "Better call Saul"

Old 02-23-2015, 03:31 PM

8,077 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Quote:
A neighbor of mine is in jail waiting trial for beating up the kid who beat up his son. The whole thing happened in front of his house.
Can you post a link to your local paper's story about it?

Why can't your neighbor make bail?
Was he denied bail?
Was bail set so high he couldn't make it?
Why would the judge do that?
Does your neighbor make a habit of this kind of behavior?

Old 02-23-2015, 03:44 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,857 times
Quote:

The neighbor (father) was relatively gentle with the neighborhood bully but did punch him when the bully punched the father.
Either he was gentle or he wasn't. If he punched the kid, he wasn't gentle.

I can't believe the question even needs to be asked, but no, it's not OK for an adult to hit a minor.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:48 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I don't know what the law is, but yes, a father should be able to do that. Otherwise, children are taught that they can do whatever they want with no consequences.
An adult beating up a child is the only way to teach a kid that actions have consequences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post

When I was that age, I would have never touched an adult in that way, for one reason--as far as I was concerned, they had open season to whip my a-double-ss all day long, and in a healthy way I feared them insomuch that I respected their awesome power compared to me. It was a GOOD thing. Where I come from, if someone little is told that someone big isn't allowed to retaliate, guess what they do--they tease and taunt the other person and show no respect for proper behavior.
That's why you teach respect, not fear. Do you want a child to behave because he's afraid to misbehave, or because behaving is the right thing to do?

Old 02-23-2015, 03:59 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
An adult beating up a child is the only way to teach a kid that actions have consequences?
It teaches them respect for living things, phenomenons and such larger than they are. I'm for people not protecting others from their own stupidity. You can't go around poking the bear with a stick and then getting mad when you're clawed to death. IT'S YOUR OWN FAULT for poking the bear to start with. You asked for it.

Quote:
That's why you teach respect, not fear. Do you want a child to behave because he's afraid to misbehave, or because behaving is the right thing to do?
When a bully is being a bully, they can't be reasoned with. They have no concept nor appreciation for respect. They're a terrorist or armed robber in the making. The only language they understand is "try that again and I'll knock your a-double-ss out." Even with children who are simply being disobedient but nonetheless bratty, I'm all for teaching them that you will do as I say whether you like it or not simply because you were TOLD to, by people bigger than you capable of whooping your a-double-ss. If they're being reasonable vs defiant and especially if they don't realize the wrong-nature of what they're doing, sure, I prefer teaching them what's right and why and appealing to the sense of decency you hope that you're imparting into them. However, when they've been told what is right but they choose to do wrong anyway, they are being outright defiant, and need to be told that, yes, actions have consequences--ones that hurt, ones that are unpleasant, and you deserve every last bit of it coming your way when you choose to defy clear and specific orders.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:01 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:

If a 15 yr old #1 beats on an 11 yr old, and #2, has the audacity to throw a punch at an adult, the only ones who will teach him respect are the other inmates.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:07 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,204 times
No, an adult should never attack a child. It bothers me people are becoming so tolerant of vigilantism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting