Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 09:43 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times

Advertisements

I don't see the big deal. If you don't want to buy any cookies, politely tell the scouts "no." Gracefully handing rejection is another valuable skill. I think that skill may be possibly more valuable than actually making a sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 11:30 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
I was a Brownie and a Girl Scout myself and sold cookies door-to-door back in the days when parents didn't have the brains to realize that is dangerous. The sales involved planning, record keeping, and proper care of cash, which I consider to be fine lessons for a young woman to be learning.

I'm always happy to see the Scouts in my area set up for sales in public places where people will be passing by ... accompanied by an adult (to guard their money if nothing else). I always buy from them and I don't expect to get supermarket-style value for my money; I consider my payment to be donation to the Scouts who need a bit of cash for the projects. The cookies are just tasty icing on the cake.

But to the OP's complaint, the past few years I've actually gotten more than cookies for my money. Last year I got an energy-saving light bulb along with a pamphlet the girls had written on why those types of bulbs are a good idea. This year I was invited to choose a decorative magnet that the girls in the troop had made. Not necessary, but nice.

I think Scouting is a great thing for girls and I'm happy to support the people in my community making that opportunity available. So far this year I've purchased three boxes (one outside the hardware store and two outside supermarkets) and will probably get a few more before it's over. In each case, I've purchased them directly from a Scout who made the change. I gave two boxes away but I'm hording those peanut butter/oatmeal ones for myself.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:40 AM

469 posts, read 913,017 times
I don't mind the Girl Scouts so much. But I do resent every other school in the county pan handling thier students at the local Walmart or grocery store. It's non stop, they need paper pencils, sports uniforms etc.

It's become so excessive that I don't give them anything and I will not use thier store. Some can be aggressive and chase you to the car. I will and do support the local HS School car wash.

I remember having to earn the money, not beg at the doors of a supermarket. Pancake breakfast, cleaning yards, parks and even had to clean up an old cemetery that had overgrown. Best gig was working at the salvage yard. We cleaned up and did odd chores, so we could keep all the change found in the cars. It added up quick.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:48 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
This thread reminds me of a story some years ago where two women stole an envelope full of money from a 9 year old girl scout. Here's a video of a reporter talking to one of the thieve's:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihLBCbNIDbI

Those women are total sociopaths!
Is that real life? wow!

Old 02-26-2015, 06:19 AM

510 posts, read 716,277 times
Um, I thought Girl Scouts were no longer allowed to go door to door (due to a few isolated but awful incidents).

Old 02-26-2015, 06:29 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
They can ... . be supervised by an adult when selling door-to-door and must never sell alone

http://www.girlscouts.org/program/gs...afety_tips.pdf

Old 02-26-2015, 07:08 AM

399 posts, read 568,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
True that! Trefoils (also known as "Shortbreads" in some areas) used to be lighter, more of a buttery flavor, and had a sprinkle of sugar crystals on top.
YES!!!! My husband and I said the same thing. They stopped using butter. That was the FIRST thing I said when I took a bite. I'm not even eating them like I used to. They'll end up being the kids' cookies.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:59 AM

510 posts, read 716,277 times
In the past the majority of the money DID go to the national council. Obviously they have changed that. I spent all of my younger years in the GS. It is a great organization, very "girl positive" and inclusive. They even try to include homeless girls.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:13 AM

715 posts, read 1,233,600 times
I was a Brownie when I was younger. I enjoyed my time there. We did crafts, sold cookies and I believe did some other things, I really can't remember (goodness, it was over 20 years ago )

As for the cookies, give me all the cookies! Nothing like Thin Mints that chilled in the freezer. Or crumbling them on top of ice cream. mmmmhmmm

Old 02-26-2015, 08:37 AM

65 posts, read 100,214 times
OP has obvious childhood issues stemming from rejection of girl/boy scouts :sarcasm:

Really though, GSC are delicious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting