Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 09:46 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,573,753 times

Advertisements

When my DD was 2 years, she locked me out. She had dropped one of her gloves in the driveway. We just returned home. I dropped her inside and went out to get the glove back. It may have taken less 8 seconds. She closed the door and locked me out. She doesnt know how to unlock it. I didnt know she knew how to lock it.
I called my husband home, who was 15 minutes on his way to work to open the door. Phew....The poor girl was terrified. So was I. Not sure if this would qualify as naughty as she didnt know what she was doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 10:07 AM

436 posts, read 420,918 times
We're also on the naughtiest thing a child has done TODAY...

Old 02-25-2015, 10:12 AM

436 posts, read 420,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
My DS just turned 5 so I dread to think it's far from the worst of it, but he gave us the biggest scare of our lives when we forgot to do up the garage door latch one night, and he got up early and wandered out through the garage, to the yard, and then undid the gate and went to walk on the trail across the street from the house!
I've posted before on here... this exact thing happened to us when my daughter was five... she just went for a walk one morning. She was only gone for a few minutes before we discovered her missing, went to look for her, and found her, but someone down the road called the police to report a girl wandering around in pajamas. It was the one and only time that it ever happened, and it was a very child friendly neighborhood, a warm summer morning, and she knew where she lived - but since the police were called out, they ended up opening an investigation for neglect on us that lasted months before we were cleared. Miserable, miserable experience. We now have the house completely alarmed just in case she ever gets a hankering to go for a walk again!

Old 02-25-2015, 10:30 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
A toss-up between pouring a glass of water on my laptop and picking the cat up by her tail. She's only four so plenty of time left for naughtier things *sigh*

Old 02-25-2015, 10:39 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
I just remembered something ds1 did when he was 6. At that time he was obsessed with the phone, he would sneak it into his bed at night, and in the middle of the night he called the numbers in the caller id; we'd find out after the fact, when they'd let us know the next morning. Well, he topped then when he called the number of my OB/GYN (I had just given birth to ds2, so the number was still in there), and he got the automated message that ended with "Or hang up and dial 911 if this is a medical emergency". He evidently called 911, because a little while later a police officer was knocking at he door and asked if so-and-so lived there. I was totally confused at why the cops would be looking for a 6-year-old, and then he told me about the 911 call! Ds1 comes to the door and thought I was getting arrested, so he freaked out, and the officer talked to him about calling 911. At this point I couldn't figure out how he even knew about 911 yet (considering he was extremely developmentally delayed), until he answers the officer "Because its not a medical emergency", and then it hit me that he was just doing when the automated message told him to do.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:20 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenapple View Post
I've posted before on here... this exact thing happened to us when my daughter was five... she just went for a walk one morning. She was only gone for a few minutes before we discovered her missing, went to look for her, and found her, but someone down the road called the police to report a girl wandering around in pajamas. It was the one and only time that it ever happened, and it was a very child friendly neighborhood, a warm summer morning, and she knew where she lived - but since the police were called out, they ended up opening an investigation for neglect on us that lasted months before we were cleared. Miserable, miserable experience. We now have the house completely alarmed just in case she ever gets a hankering to go for a walk again!
Yea, honestly I was terrified of that happening with us too - I was on edge for the next couple of days because I didn't know if the woman who brought him back would report us to the cops or CPS. We were very lucky that she must've been nice and understanding enough not to. I was jumpy and prepared to hear the doorbell at any minute. Especially because DH looked completely bewildered and messy (just out of bed) when he opened the door and was in such shock that he didn't say much except to thank the lady, so she could've easily thought that we're some sort of crackhead parents that sleep all day and just let their kid wander around unsupervised!

This is also why I balk at some posts on here that encourage bystanders to call the police on anything remotely suspicious involving a child. Sometimes sh*t happens even to the best of parents by pure bad luck, and getting tangled up with the authorities and especially CPS can often be extremely traumatic for the family and the child, especially when the workers get overzealous and power-trip.

And yes, we've put up alarms on all the doors after that incident too!

Old 02-25-2015, 02:42 PM

215 posts, read 260,045 times
Great laughs around , thanks all!
My daughter, 3.yo., is going through a phase where she repeats random sentences. I was on the phone with my manager and she suddenly runs over and starts screaming "what the f*** are you doing". I don't know where she learned it, not in our household for sure. We've managed to stop her from saying this but she still did some damage because my boss mentioned to me casually "Neither my wife nor I let our kids watch TV <insert grin>".
A few months back she was into cleaning everything with a tissue and some water. It was all good until she decided to clean our macbook. The keyboard and mouse pad have since stopped working!
I tell myself that the magnitude of accidents can only go up in the next 18 years.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:06 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Sigh. One sad, one funny.

Sad-Stepson wanted to know what would happen if you glued his sisters rats nose shut. The answer is it dies, and sister beats the daylights out of you-the sound of which brings us into it....I didn't punish her, but grounded him to his room for a month....for his own safety.

Funny-Same stepson a couple years later is making himself a sandwhich...or so we thought.....

We hear "swish...BOOM!". Stepson runs from the kitchen holding his hands together. We both yell "X what did you do!!!?" His reply: "nothing"....and....heres the funny part...when he says nothing...smoke comes out of his mouth.

Turns out he turned a burner on high, lit a piece of paper on fire, then lit the bottle rockets he had found. And he held them....in his hands....

Lucky he didn't get hurt worse then some singed fingers.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:17 PM

544 posts, read 1,237,787 times
last year, i found out she was storing left over food under the couch in her bedroom.... i went to move the cushions and omg... mold , food, and i figured out why i kept seeing rat droppings around her bedroom door.. i thought of taking her to a psychiatrist at that time.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:54 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,329,578 times
He and a friend got caught peeing on the walls in the boys bathroom in elementary school. That was a banner day in the principal's office.

Oh, and when he was in preschool, he found the prettiest teacher (the one who later quit her job to go into modeling) and told her that his mommy farts every morning. I'm still trying to figure out why she even shared that with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting