Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 02:01 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
Remember when universal kindergarten was first proposed? It was supposed to help kids prepare for first grade, to make the transition to school easier.

Remember when "first grade" really was the FIRST grade in a child's school career? I learned how to read at the end of first grade, back in the mid-70s. That was the norm. Now, most kids are reading, at least to some extent, at the end of kindergarten.

If kindergarten were still the land of singing songs, learning to share, cutting and gluing with construction paper, and painting pictures, we wouldn't need universal preschool.
But why does it have to be that way? Why do we need 4 year olds who know how to read? Our schools haven't improved with this new mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 02:02 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
That sounds alright, although I'm not a fan of worksheet stuff.

For my kid its free play outside from after breakfast (for those that come in early) until 10ish (although if the weather is especially nice they'll stay outside longer, or in the winter they might walk down the road to some good snow hills to play for a bit longer) then they do something in their small groups like crafts, music, singing and then something with the whole class like gymnastics or the whole nursery gets together for a singing session. Then its lunch, then story time and nap time while listening to music (and quiet play for those that don't sleep), then snack time and then its back outside for free play until their parents pick them up.

Monday is toy day and they get to bring a toy in from home and its free play all day long.

Sometimes there's trips out to the woods or the lake, local museums and markets and other things like that. And occasionally religion classes (although I opted my kid out of that, which is great because then she gets one-to-one time with one of the teachers while the other kids are having the holy class)

Its like this for all the kids from age 1 until 6 (they're in mixed age classes)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
To clarify, the worksheets consisted of things like connect-the-dots, or coloring the hat and scarf on the snowman. Really, no different than what is found in coloring books.
This sounds like what we should be doing at home with our preschool aged children.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:33 PM

436 posts, read 421,072 times
I'm with the crowd that believes that academic instruction shouldn't start until the year the child is turning seven. If they learn stuff before then, fine. But before then, it should be more hands-on stuff and playing. That's first grade for most kids, btw, which is when it was traditional for kids to start school.

Traditionally there used to be three years of kindergarten in some systems (not in the U.S., but Europe). Working parents could send their kids to nursery before then, too, but kindy was the time that they started to be very gently eased into group dynamics. They'd have a similar day to day routine, but say in the first year (what would be I guess 3 year olds) they would hear very simple stories. Second year, they'd hear stories that were a bit longer and detailed. Third year, more intense fairy tales. Same thing with progression of songs and poetry memorization (at first, nursery rhymes, to folk songs), to crafts, movement games, etc.

Reading and math and writing and everything else didn't start until first grade. (No "centers" either per se, although they would have different themed toy centers, which I guess counts.)

I like that system a lot.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:52 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I am basing my reply on the OP. Universal full day pre-k without an option for half day would lead to it being a mandatory program for those hoping to take advantage of the state program. But, yes, it doesn't make it mandatory to send your child in the first place.
Kindergarten is not mandatory, but everyone sends their kids, so I can see it becoming a universally used program, but it will not be mandatory (of course, since it is free, many people may use it as day care so they no longer have to pay for day care for most of the day).

Old 03-02-2015, 03:07 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
I don't see any reason NOT to make the transition a little easier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I don't understand why the transition needs to be easier. By its nature, kindergarten is supposed to be an introductory year into the school life.
I had no idea the two were mutually exclusive Is the underlying assumption that parents send their kids to preschool so they don't have to bother teaching them anything?
Quote:
This sounds like what we should be doing at home with our preschool aged children.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:26 PM

436 posts, read 421,072 times
I thought this was apropos... Shocking report exposes neglect & abuse at Head Start schools | New York Post

Not sure how relevant it is to this conversation, but it's at least sort of tangentially related.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:42 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,212 times
Quote:
Yes, bandwagon. Early childhood education does not need to be done in the confines of a classroom environment. As a matter of fact, for many children, its better if that education does not take place in the classroom.

I don't care about topping out nationally. I care about every child getting the education they need which often does not happen in school. WAY too uniform for that to happen nowadays.

As for the rest of your post, as I said I'm reporting only what I've heard from teachers themselves. Children do not need to be sat down and shown colors, numbers, shapes etc. What they need is for the adults in their lives to communicate with them. They will all learn these things in their own time. There is no need to make sure they know it by some arbitrary age IMO.
Yes, actually they do. They are not born with that knowledge and they need to be taught, just like they are taught to walk, talk, sit, climb. Missing what we may think as basic knowledge can have serious consequences down the line. Education is cumulative and what they learn in preschool, 1st grade, 3rd grade, etc. all builds on itself. If you leave all learning up to a child without adult direction and teaching, it won't happen, sorry. How old are your kids???

Old 03-02-2015, 03:54 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Kindergarten is not mandatory, but everyone sends their kids, so I can see it becoming a universally used program, but it will not be mandatory (of course, since it is free, many people may use it as day care so they no longer have to pay for day care for most of the day).
In most states, you are correct. But there are a few that mandate school attendance at age 5.

State Compulsory School Attendance Laws

Old 03-02-2015, 03:56 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Yes, actually they do. They are not born with that knowledge and they need to be taught, just like they are taught to walk, talk, sit, climb. Missing what we may think as basic knowledge can have serious consequences down the line. Education is cumulative and what they learn in preschool, 1st grade, 3rd grade, etc. all builds on itself. If you leave all learning up to a child without adult direction and teaching, it won't happen, sorry. How old are your kids???
Oh, my, you taught your children to walk, talk, sit and climb? These are things children learn without being explicitly taught. You can scaffold early learning, but you do NOT have to teach them. Kids learn to crawl, walk, talk, sit, climb, ride bikes, etc. when you encourage them, but you don't explicitly teach them. They imitate others. Even my autistic grandson did not have to be taught to walk or climb. He did have to be taught verbal language, but that is not what we do for NT kids without speech delays.

In fact, exposure to colors, letters, numbers, etc. are all that is needed to learn about these things as well unless you never talk to your child at all.

Learning in the early years does happen without adult direction.

http://www.ccl-cca.ca/pdfs/ECLKC/les...inLearning.pdf

http://www.naeyc.org/files/yc/file/2...neJuly2011.pdf

Old 03-02-2015, 03:57 PM

368 posts, read 831,181 times
That report is disgusting to say the least.
The sad thing is these low income folks which I happen to be one at this very moment are told repeatedly that it is the best thing for toddlers, to somehow be away from me and in a class, insulting to say the least.
I am against universal pre k and I am sure if you asked these parents whose children have suffered at the hands of so called do gooders they would say the same thing.
My 13 year old did not go to preschool and neither is my four year old and guess what - they are both doing fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting