Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 05:14 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
what you expect???

good luck with that,

she will neuter you within 6 months ,

start practicing....yes dear, yes darling, yes, you're right ,,,, then when she says "marriage words"
like "FINE!" you have no idea what she means , you'll be like that nervous squirrel darting back and forth in the road until a car eventually runs it over

and if she gets post partum depression,,,sleep with one eye open....
Man, I wish I had this power over my husband. 15 years and he still has his balls. Wanna know what happens when I tried to kick him out of the bedroom after a fight. He ignored me and went to sleep. I was like, what the hell, this works in the movies!

Sorry you were neutered...I don't think all men are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 09:47 PM

649 posts, read 570,417 times
You are responsible for your children until they are 18 but you do not own them. They have their own ideas and dreams and they are not you. I wish I would have realized that sooner. I spent a lot time trying to mold my daughter into someone that she just isn't. When I finally let go of my idea of what I thought she should be the happier we all were.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:42 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,070,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melovescookies View Post
You are responsible for your children until they are 18 but you do not own them. They have their own ideas and dreams and they are not you. I wish I would have realized that sooner. I spent a lot time trying to mold my daughter into someone that she just isn't. When I finally let go of my idea of what I thought she should be the happier we all were.
Yes, nor are they an extention of you. As melovescookies wrote, they have their own ideas and dreams and are not you. It appears to me that many treat their children that way, perhaps because these parents have not yet come to accept who they truly are or are tring to fill a void in their lives, known or unknown to them.

Parenting is sacrifice.

And heartbreak.

And fatigue.

And wonderful.

But it is always - always - putting the needs of another ahead of your own. If you have a partner that "gets" that, you all benefit. But it is still sacrifice, heartache, fatigue and joy ... if you are lucky.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:26 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Same here. Our finances changed dramatically from when we first had children to where we are now, and it's hard to recover because they don't get any cheaper. I always get a good laugh when new parents talk about the money they'll save when their babies are done with diapers and formula; they have no idea what they are in for!

Along the same note, I didn't expect how complicated it would be to go back to work once they're all in school, like finding childcare for all of the weeks they're not in school, and coordinating their dentist and doctor appointments. Plus, it's a lot harder to a reliable babysitter for 3 school-age kids than it is to find a good daycare for 1 baby or toddler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I wish I would have known how much they cost. Really.

Main costs are healthcare, meds, dental. Yikes!! When they are babies they are pretty cheap, but teenagers are expensive.

The economy was so much better when we had our 2 kids (pre 2008 stock market crash) we were doing really well financially, saving money, etc. But, we have just never recovered financially and probably never will. I had several layoffs in a row and the companies now are just not paying the same $$ they used to. (cheapskates!)

Old 03-01-2015, 06:40 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Another thought: instead of trying to mold your partner into the parent you want him/her to be, build on his or her strengths and plug them in as needed. My husband is a total softy when it comes to discipline and keeping the chaos under control, but he's awesome at rounding up the kids and taking them somewhere, and plugging them in with fixing things around the house or with the car.

Oh, and to the moms: lighten up things being done "right" by their dad. Guys have their own way of doing things, and it's good for kids to get used to breaking the script a little. It's not the end of the world if their dad takes them out without their coats or they get "lunch" from the doughnut shop. He'll learn real quick-like why we always have a diaper bags and changes of clothes in the trunk

Old 03-01-2015, 09:22 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,070,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Same here. Our finances changed dramatically from when we first had children to where we are now, and it's hard to recover because they don't get any cheaper. I always get a good laugh when new parents talk about the money they'll save when their babies are done with diapers and formula; they have no idea what they are in for!

Along the same note, I didn't expect how complicated it would be to go back to work once they're all in school, like finding childcare for all of the weeks they're not in school, and coordinating their dentist and doctor appointments. Plus, it's a lot harder to a reliable babysitter for 3 school-age kids than it is to find a good daycare for 1 baby or toddler.
So right on the second point.

Despite canstant claims to the contrary, American society is not vey family friendly ... unless the only definition of family is one with one parent at home. For families in which both parents work, it is a struggle for many to juggle duties, money and such. Single parents are true heros.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:33 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
I think one of the hardest things for me to accept is/was how non-family friendly my husband and in-laws are. I grew up in a very kid friendly family. My relatives lived in other states, but they came to visit and interacted with us when they were there. My husband has gotten better, but he would have me do the brunt of the child care even when I was working the same amount as him and making similar money. His mom is a grandmother in name only. His family creates work for me and will happily waste my time and efforts. His family is very controlling. My family is the opposite although we have our problems too.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:21 AM

1,134 posts, read 1,124,538 times
I wish I would have known it would be the hardest job I ever had. I don't regret one minute of it though.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:28 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,345 times
That my nipples would ALWAYS be erect from that moment onward.

Before giving birth, a woman's nipples can be non-erect.. smooth and gets more erect when cold or turned on. After having a child, my nipples are always "on" - perky, erotic and sensitive all the time. VERY arousing, but damn I can't go bra-less anymore!

Old 03-02-2015, 10:53 AM

658 posts, read 724,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
That my nipples would ALWAYS be erect from that moment onward.

Before giving birth, a woman's nipples can be non-erect.. smooth and gets more erect when cold or turned on. After having a child, my nipples are always "on" - perky, erotic and sensitive all the time. VERY arousing, but damn I can't go bra-less anymore!
Excuse me...I'm at work here....your post has startled something...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting