Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 10:12 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacere View Post
It is a big deal, actually, especially where there is no younger parent around.

When you are in your 20s, you want your parents' help, not the other way around. I think she was very selfish. I also don't understand the point of giving birth when the genetic material isn't yours. Why not just adopt a child already born? Baffling.
I agree.

I can't imagine being a 20 year old with a 70 year old mother/father whom I probably have to take care of and maybe even 'babysit' them. I really agree that 20 is the age where your parents help you transition into the adult world, show you this or that, and not the other way round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 10:40 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,876,807 times
I had a friend who had a baby naturally (no IVF) at 57. It can happen. It was a surprise, but she was happy.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:02 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Lots of dads become dads later in life and live a long time. Again, no big deal.

Really try looking into the future. It will be great fun to be the mother/father of a teenager when you're ready for Social Security.

Or how about paying for college when you're ready to retire?

Many middle aged "kids" are becoming caregivers to their parents in their 40s and 50s, how about having to do that at age 25?

Old 03-05-2015, 11:41 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
I was looking into my family history and a lot of my ancestors were having babies well into their 40s. I think the oldest one was one woman who gave birth to her last child at 48. The fathers were fathering their kids into their 50s and occasionally their 60s (and would be on their 2nd or 3rd wife by then!)

Old 03-05-2015, 11:44 PM

118 posts, read 157,377 times
As a NICU RN, I see this often, using donor eggs in almost every case, the babies are beautiful & healthy. I had a 50 year old lawyer Mom who had triplets and a 2 year old at home. A delightful family.

Not at all uncommon where I work! These mature parents have so much patience & time for their children as they are not building a career and a slave to the house payment & bills. The kids reap the benefits.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:16 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Dads do it all the time. I don't see an issue.
I know two women who gave birth after 50. In both cases the babies were healthy. These were women who thrived on pregnancy. Both had had two earlier pregnancies; one in their teens, another in late 20's or early 30's. These women got high off the pregnancy hormones, and positively glowed. One is in her 70's now, the other, in her 80's. The kids are grown, both moms are healthy. Those late-in-life relationships that lead to the pregnancies at 50+ turned out to be the most stable.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:21 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
No biggie.

I found this pretty interesting:

Pregnancy over age 50 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-06-2015, 05:22 AM

4 posts, read 5,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
eeeek!!! good for her but no thanks. Mom will be 69 when the kid is 18. Health can decline rapidly at that age. I sure wouldn't want that responsibility of needing to take care of my mother right after High School, attending College and holding a job. I feel sorry for the kid.
It will keep the mother young to have a baby in her later life. If she's healthy enough to conceive at her age, then she'll probably be good to last until 90's. That's my take on it. Don't make out that a woman who is 51 is so over the hill she'll never be able to make her kid happy. That baby will be her joy in the Autumn and Winter of her life.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:27 AM

2,122 posts, read 1,794,611 times
Quote:
eeeek!!! good for her but no thanks. Mom will be 69 when the kid is 18. Health can decline rapidly at that age. I sure wouldn't want that responsibility of needing to take care of my mother right after High School, attending College and holding a job. I feel sorry for the kid.
Quote:
good point. Although I don't recommend it. My cousin was born when his dad was in his very late 40's. Few years later, he passed on. Now he has to spend the rest of his childhood and life without a father. Its just not natural to have children decades later after turning 18. And the chances of dying while the child is young is much greater.
Dying and leaving a child behind isn't something only older parents do. Many parents under the age 40 die from a variety of reasons you just don't know what will happen in your situation. At the same time parents who have children relatively young can unexpectedly get ill and require the help of their barely adult children. To say that it's not natural doesn't hold up to the fact that it happens naturally all the time

Old 03-06-2015, 05:33 AM

4 posts, read 5,581 times
If a person takes care of their health, 69 isn't that old! For crying out loud! My Mother lived to be 85, and my father lived to be 92. I was born when they were in their mid 30's. They both needed my help in their 80's but before that they were good to go on their own! My mother would take walks in her late 70's around the neighborhood with me in my 30's. We were very close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting