Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 01:20 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times

Advertisements

We had our "whoops" baby when I was 46 , our youngest was graduating college that year and we had celebrated our 25 th wedding anniversary.it was a total shock, I was told 20 years earlier there could be no more
I have stayed very "young for my age "( and fortunately, look a lot younger.)it was never an issue. Easiest delivery (usual escape hatch) and pregnancy. I did go to a high risk doc.i was and am very healthy.
He is our only son. He has been a blessing, easy,kind guy, wonderful friends,and just started college at a Big 10 school.
Dad's retirement plans were delayed, but we have had a blast and wonder what DID we all do without him.
Sugar coating, whatever, we have no regrets. It's been a privilege to be his mom.

Last edited by nanannie; 03-06-2015 at 01:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 01:25 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacere View Post
Actually I did look at death rates. For instance, at a population of 100,000 people, for the age group 35-44 for males there are 228 deaths. In the 65-74 bracket, there are 2435 deaths, so more than 10 times. So yes, not many die under 44, compared to those who die from 65 to 74.

Also:

About 189,000 people lost parents before their 18th birthday. Among these children, about 21 percent were dead within 40 years. This rate of death was 50 percent greater than people whose parents survived into their adulthood. The elevated mortality rates were apparent regardless of the sex of the parent, the sex of the child, socioeconomic background, or the cause of the parents' death. Within that group, however, it appeared the shock of unexpected death led to much higher mortality rates.

Children who were youngest when their parent or parents died were most at risk, probably because of a "lack of intense care ... for very young children." Their dual inability to process death and express their feelings leaves them wanting for support. And even though grief seems to subside, the study indicates health risks do not.

Children Who Suffer Death Of A Parent Have Higher Mortality Rates Than Others

Did they say how many in each age bracket were parents?

Old 03-06-2015, 02:26 PM

649 posts, read 570,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
We had our "whoops" baby when I was 46 , our youngest was graduating college that year and we had celebrated our 25 th wedding anniversary.it was a total shock, I was told 20 years earlier there could be no more
I have stayed very "young for my age "( and fortunately, look a lot younger.)it was never an issue. Easiest delivery (usual escape hatch) and pregnancy. I did go to a high risk doc.i was and am very healthy.
He is our only son. He has been a blessing, easy,kind guy, wonderful friends,and just started college at a Big 10 school.
Dad's retirement plans were delayed, but we have had a blast and wonder what DID we all do without him.
Sugar coating, whatever, we have no regrets. It's been a privilege to be his mom.
Reading that made me feel happy. I'm 37 & have a 20 year old and a 7 month old. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world that has such a large age gap between children.

Being an older parent isn't ideal but as long as the child is loved and cared for its really nobody's business how old the parents are.

Personally, I'm done. No more babies for me.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:29 PM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Your post is saying pretty much what I was saying....that it IS high risk but you have to make your own decisions in life planned or otherwise. My use of the words sugar coat don't apply to your situation, you probably didn't read my comments carefully and thought I was tsk tsking women for having babies at older ages....which I wasn't.

Want to smoke? Want to have a baby at 50? Want to drive without a seatbelt? Ride motorcycles? Juggle rattlesnakes? Knit?

Do whatever floats your boat, I personally do not care.

Just don't misrepresent the risks involved so that others can reach thier own informed decisions.

Maybe I'm sensitive to attempts to de-stigmatize things which present an unreasonable view of the situation. I was around 18 when my friends sister and her friends got all "girl power being a single mom is just fine, I don't need a dad"....during the whole Murphy Brown thing.

Within 2 years about 4 of the 5 chose to become single moms. It wasn't as empowering as they thought it would be.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:30 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,306 times
I think it's selfish. And yes, when older dad's have babies too.

A 20 year old shouldn't have to start worrying about nursing homes and funeral arrangements. There's a good chance she will not have her parents at her wedding. Her children may never know their grandmother, unless she starts early.

To each his or her own, but it's not very considerate to the child in my opinion.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:38 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times
Greaaattt

So when they are out of high school you will be on your way to being a walking corpse? Good Job!

Old 03-06-2015, 03:37 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbed feet View Post
If a person takes care of their health, 69 isn't that old! For crying out loud! My Mother lived to be 85, and my father lived to be 92. I was born when they were in their mid 30's. They both needed my help in their 80's but before that they were good to go on their own! My mother would take walks in her late 70's around the neighborhood with me in my 30's. We were very close.
My dad is 72 and he walks 7 miles a day during the spring and summers. My 70 year old mom goes to the gym for 1- 2 hours a day.
Age is just a number really.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:47 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
I'm 38 years old and I have had my daughter in 2013. My sister is 42 and she had her third kid last summer. We are both very healthy, in good shape and allot of energy. Don't come and talk about how 20 something is more energetic when I see these young moms, fat and out of shape hanging around at the park unable to keep up with their kids.
I had my son when I was 29 and it was perfect timing for me. I could never imagine having kids when I was 20 myself. Way too young for me.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:35 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,615,317 times
Last time this subject of older moms came up I chimed in....so here's a repeat.

My dad died just short of age 45. Us kids were 20, 19, 16 and 9.

I'm currently 55 with an almost 33 yr old, 28, 17 and 12 yr old. When people find out how old my oldest is, or how old I am they are quite often shocked. Add to that I provide child care for a 3 yr old and 9 month old 5 days a week for 10 hours a day.

I would say I am not even close to being 'old'. Age indeed is only a number and all factors need to be considered.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:08 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
eeeek!!! good for her but no thanks. Mom will be 69 when the kid is 18. Health can decline rapidly at that age. I sure wouldn't want that responsibility of needing to take care of my mother right after High School, attending College and holding a job. I feel sorry for the kid.

69 is not so old! Really, there are so many variables. In parts of this country, and in certain social groups, people do not marry until their mid 20s to early 30s and the first kid comes along several years later. The last could be up to a decade later.

I am more shocked when I see people in their late 30s with GRANDCHILDREN!

That's my moment of "eeeeK"!

And, as other posters have pointed out, older dad's seem to get a pass here. Not sure why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting