Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 07:12 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
Yeah, because it would have been assault on a minor.

This is not as black and white of a situation as so many people here seem to want it to be. Lots of talk about what everyone would have done if they were there ... yeah, sure. It's easy to be a tough guy when you're not in the middle of it.
Some people can cash their verbel check, sometimes it's just not someone acting "tough," sometimes, it's somebody who wouldn't mind getting violent for the right reasons. I carry a jackknife, and a knuckleduster, can't wait to send someone to the e.r.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 07:57 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadd View Post
I"d have kicked the kid in the guts when he did not stop his assaultive behavior. ditto his parents if they wanted any.
Anonymous internet bravery. I doubt you would do anything in real life.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:57 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturallyNat View Post
I took my son (7) and six of his friends to the neighborhood park today. I always scoop up as many as I can so they can all play together. Everyone was having a great time until another boy showed up with no parents to be seen and started yelling and cussing for no reason at the other kids. I tried to stay calm and watch to see how the kids would handle the situation...
You waited to see how 7-10 year olds would handle the situation with an older kid yelling and cussing at them????

What???

How are 7-10 year olds experience with this? YOU should have immediately scooped up all of the kids and taken them away from the unsafe situation. That was your first mistake. As a parent you took the responsibility of taking care of those kids. You failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Correct View Post
Now that I think about this might be a Troll thread.
That was my first thought and it still is.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:26 AM

57 posts, read 54,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
You waited to see how 7-10 year olds would handle the situation with an older kid yelling and cussing at them????

What???

How are 7-10 year olds experience with this? YOU should have immediately scooped up all of the kids and taken them away from the unsafe situation. That was your first mistake. As a parent you took the responsibility of taking care of those kids. You failed.

Yes my son was the 7 year old and I have been preparing him to eventually be allowed to not have me fallowing his every move and try and handle situations that might occure on his own with the the skills that I've taught him. I did expect that my son would not get involded or say anything back and immediatly head for home which he did. However the other kids engaged in yelling back at the boy and making him more angry to where it became physical. I have hoped that in trying to lead by example for these other kids that they would follow lead but no.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:11 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
I would have beat the crap out of the parents when they started yelling and cussing at me....

Old 03-11-2015, 10:47 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Why would you NOT call the police the minute a teenager, who had already assaulted a child, pulled out a knife?
Why would you have waited that long??

Old 03-11-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post

What???

First off, I am not in question of my parenting skills with my son. He is supervised, and being prepared to become a positive productive member of society as well as a happy, heathy human being. My watching his reactions to situations tell me what we need to work on and I am there to intervene if need be.If I handle every situation for him he has no skills to protect himself. I do have to send him to school, I can't be there to handle everything for him. He is in self defense classes and is being prepared there as well. He knows to not escalate a situation and to run to get help, scream to alert and as a last resort use self defense. He is 7, he does not have the skills to defend himself yet, he is still learning them which is why I don't let him out on his own yet. But I will have to one day and am very confident that he will have the skills he needs because I am a good mom. I have not failed!

Last edited by NaturallyNat; 03-11-2015 at 11:12 AM..

Old 03-11-2015, 11:33 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Get a phone before you ever take your kid to the park again.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Get a phone before you ever take your kid to the park again.
Very good idea! Others have also posted this advice and it is very much appriciated from all. My application with Assurance Wireless is already in the mail! It's a free cell phone company for low income. Thank you.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:00 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,611,582 times
I'd rely on a jury of my peers to convict me... Under your circumstances, it was best for you to have a cooler head than I would have had... But I'da still be whippin' on the child's father when the cops got there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting