Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 05:06 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,849,639 times

Advertisements

OP you did the right thing. I know you are getting a lot of slack but it doesn't sound like the parents in your neighborhood expect you to be watching their kids and would let them go to the park on their own anyways. Its nice you are there to keep and eye on things.

I said I would have called the police, but in reality, I might have been so shocked I might just have intervened and taken time to process it. Also, it would have been very strange thing to happen in my neighborhood and we have neighborhood police to call so it isn't as severe as calling 911 or anything. So its easy for me to apply it to my situation and see it from my own view. Its hard to know where the line is with "kids will be kids" and its time to call the cops. Here in black and white it looks obvious. But life is full of shades of grey. You let the parents know, you let the cops know. And it sounds like you will be at the park to supervise your son in the future and can keep an eye on the situation.

I wouldn't call CPS or anything to escalate it. Just keep an eye on your kid, and be on the look out. Keep talking to other parents if something happens. And look into the low cost cell phones in case there is an emergency (no pay phones anywhere now, cells are really important).

I grew up in a neighborhood where there was a lot of parental neglect and there was always at least one mom somewhere who was tuned in enough to keep an eye on us or hear us out if we needed help. I think its great you can be one of these moms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 06:59 PM

19,965 posts, read 30,111,427 times
when there is a bully/age discrepancy,,,you intervene immediately...

you don't wait to see what the boys will do,,,if the kid was the same age,,,maybe

call the cops,,,in a couple yrs,,that knife will be a gun..

Old 03-09-2015, 09:10 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,754,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturallyNat View Post
Thank you! This is really what I was unsure of. Is there an age when it becomes assult? Like if a 3 year old bites you is that assult? Or if two 8 year olds get into a fight? What is the right age range to get police involved with a child? Maybe that should have been my post. I tend to ramble when I'm upset.
No, you have to use common sense.

You aren't trying a case. You are protecting yourself and the children who are with you. A weapon escalates EVERYTHING.

Now you know this kid is a major problem. If you even see him again, leave the area immediately.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:25 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,968,959 times
Quote:
Thank you! This is really what I was unsure of. Is there an age when it becomes assult? Like if a 3 year old bites you is that assult? Or if two 8 year olds get into a fight? What is the right age range to get police involved with a child? Maybe that should have been my post. I tend to ramble when I'm upset.
Just use common sense. A 3 year old biting you isn't really a police matter and it really depends on how bad the 8 year olds are fighting. If they were friends I probably wouldn't call the police, but if some random kid came up and started beating the **** out of another kid? Probably good to call the police no matter the age difference, especially if the kid has a weapon.

There really isn't one correct answer for every situation that comes up. Just use common sense.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:20 AM

4,857 posts, read 5,797,171 times
Quote:
Actually I am responsible for one child and am just nice enough to try and look out for some others whos parents are losers to say the least. I did not do nothing I seperated them I tried to get the teens parents I stood between the boy and other kids until the boy was taken home by his drunk parents. I got all the kids saflely back to my house when I could have just grabbed my own and walked home. I could have just walked off with my own son as soon as all the cussing started. I could have just left the other kids there. I don't get paid to watch other peoples children. I just try to look out for all the kids. Thats not doing nothing
Uh, no, paid or not, yoirs or not, if you take anyones child anywhere, you are responsible. If I let you take my boys in your car, and anything happens to them, the last thing I'd want to hear is; "they aren't my responsiblilty." You take kids to a park, or invite them in your house, any outside or self inflicted wounds is your responsibity as the adult in charge. Tell the courts how it wasn't your fault, they were playing Naruto with your kitchen knives, and one of'em got ran through. Don't do these kids no favors.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:39 AM

4,857 posts, read 5,797,171 times
Quote:
I told the parents of both the boys that were physically assulted in detail what happened. One of the boys father acted as if he could care less, the other boys father said boys will be boys and kinda laughed it off, and neither one is pressing charges.
These kinda parents make me sick, I'm not some child-centric nutjob either, but damn; boys will be boys has it's limits, and a 13 year old mauling an 8 year old has got to be past that limit. That kid needs to be taken from his parents for the greater good of everyone. I'll say that at least you tried to do something, less than some others, but more than most. I can only picture what would happen if I was there with my boys, to paraphrase Major Pain; " I'd be on his ass like white on rice, in a glass of milk, on a papaer plate, in a snow storm."

Old 03-10-2015, 05:05 AM

756 posts, read 831,133 times
Angry It's Not Just The Kid Who Is Scary:

Quote:
I took my son (7) and six of his friends to the neighborhood park today. I always scoop up as many as I can so they can all play together. Everyone was having a great time until another boy showed up with no parents to be seen and started yelling and cussing for no reason at the other kids. I tried to stay calm and watch to see how the kids would handle the situation or if this kids parents might hear him and show up but nothing. This child was older about 13 or 14 and the children I was watching were from 7 to 10. When this teenager grabbed another child in his private area and sqeezed as hard as he could and screamed suck my d--- I jumped up and told this child that he needed to leave the other children alone and told the other kids to go play in another area of the park. This teenager then charged one of the other boys punched him and shoved him to the ground. I told the boy that if he put his hands on anyone else I would call the police. He then grabbed my sons soccer ball pulled a knife out of his pocket and popped it. I told him to go get his parents and he tried to hit me 3 times I backed away with out getting hit and his parents finally came around the corner beers in hand and started cussing me out and told me thier son can do what he wants. I'm not really sure what to do at this point this kid needs help and obviously his parents don't care. Should I call the police on a kid? I'm afraid if I don't someone is gonna get seriously hurt.
I have not finished reading the 8 pages of replies to look for more responses from OP, but

What are the laws where OP is? The laws in my area say that if you are an adult who has some kids with you and ANY kids, including other kids with you (even those that aren't yours) get hurt or otherwise are in danger, you get in huge trouble for child endangerment.

I read some of the OP replies, claiming that she is not responsible for those other kids, just because they are not yours. Um, YES YOU ARE. Unless the laws are different in OP's area.

That "scary kid" is not the only thing to worry about. The person who neglected to take action which led to another kid's life ruined forever is just as guilty. Both the Scary Kid and the neglectful adult should be jailed for this. The FIRST moment somebody approaches a group of children and then becomes very hostile, is when the kids need to be shoved into a safe area, either back into the van or taken to the security guards (whichever is nearest). Calling the Poe Lease and legal action should be taken against both the Scary Kid and the kid's parents. It needs to be done immediately because Poe Lease don't like it if you wait on reporting a crime. Sometimes they think you are lying if you don't call them immediately.

and threatening the Scary Kid by telling his parents does absolutely nothing. Parents usually believe their children even if they did something wrong.

Is this OP post even real?

Old 03-10-2015, 06:47 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,016,792 times
Quote:
Believe me I wanted to knock his butt out. I had a can of mace on my key ring and all I could think was if I spray this kid. I will go to jail and then my son would have nobody.
im sorry but most likely no you would not have gone to jail you could have told the police this kid had a knife and I feared for my life ...use those three words and no one would have gone to jail except that kid who had the knife . As for the police station I think maybe you should go to the media now and let them know that the police are doing nothing to protect you or your neighborhood .. I cannot stress this enough , sometimes you have to embarrass the powers in charge in order to get action .please do everything you can before this kid kills a little one . Then how will you or the police feel ?sounds like the Op has a lot of excuses as to why not to do something instead of stepping up to the plate . Hmmm....makes one wonder if the OP is for real .

Last edited by phonelady61; 03-10-2015 at 06:49 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-10-2015, 07:25 AM

756 posts, read 831,133 times
Exclamation I Read All The Pages In This Thread:

OP said that she had Mace but did not use it for fear of getting in trouble. You (and all those children, while you sound like you disagree, you DID have complete responsibility during the time you had the neighborhood children with you) were all in danger, and needed to defend yourself. That is what Mace is for?! And saving a child from danger is worth the risk of getting in trouble.

Also, just get a cell phone already. The safety of yourself and the children is much more important than the pride of going without a cell phone. Think of a cell phone like Credit Cards: use them in an emergencies, but do not use them while driving.

And it (was) nice of you to think of the other children but perhaps you should work / volunteer at an after school program, or campaign for an after school program for them to go to. Their parents might say no but it sounds like they are indifferent so they might let them join an after school program if there are any to join.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:59 AM

57 posts, read 54,029 times
I am not the greatest at explaining things to people. I am a survivor of child abuse and domestic abuse. I am not perfect, actually far from it. Every day is a struggle for me. I am a real person. I do have real fears. I do fear the police. I do know for a fact that they don’t always protect you especially when they hold your abuser for a few hours and send him right back home to attack you again only worse because now he’s enraged that police got involved. Im not talking about one instance I speaking of several as an adult and a child. I dont talk to people and haven't for about six years. I became disabled six years ago attempting to leave my abusive husband and now have brain damage. I was actually dead for 5 hours. I don’t see, hear or talk right anymore and have issues finding stored data in my brain in the moments when I need it. I do have common sense I just have trouble finding it sometimes. I am educated and was a professional before the disability but my brain doesn’t work right any more. I also deal with PTSD and panic attacks. I feel that it is my duty to protect any child that is outside when I am outside. What some of you are saying is confusing to me and I sure vice versa.Yes I am responsible for children when I take them somewhere but the children I speaking about are out running the neighborhood from 7am til whenever they want. I don’t ever have to go get them or ask them to come anywhere they see us out and come running. The only thing I do is talk nicely to them, feed them bring extra water bottles for them and try and keep the peace between them. They do not listen well as they have never had anyone to teach them. So if I walk out my door and a child is playing in the street and falls off of his bike yes I would immediately run to help the child. However, no the parents do not have any right to sue and say that I was responsible for their child just because I walked outside. My only question was whether or not to call the police. I know far too well what must be going on in this teens home. My instincts are always to protect all children and that caused me to think very carefully before I did something so drastic it might put this other boy in danger at his home. Thank you all for all the advice and no thanks for the bashing. I did talk to police and apparently they haven’t changed. I am going to the middle school this afternoon to talk to them if they can’t help I will contact child protective services. I will not give up my instincts are to protect ALL children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting