Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 03:34 PM

57 posts, read 54,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Okay, now I have to call BS on this entire post.

When you go to the police station to file charges when minors are involved, the STATE or municipality takes over. It isn't the parents against this child but the state, county, or city it happened in against this juvenile. Especially since multiple people have filed charges and there are minors involved.
Where did you get the idea that multiple people have filed charges? Actually the police said no one wanted to file charges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 03:56 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
yeah, in the future. . if something happens like this. . .I think the gut instinct is to start filming. i don't care if its a bully or a police man.

I really don't know the rules regarding assault. . .better to track down the kid, where a mask, and beat the #@!! out of him at a later time.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:03 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Why would you NOT call the police the minute a teenager, who had already assaulted a child, pulled out a knife?
Sexual assault.
Physical assault.
Destruction of property.
Assault with a deadly weapon.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:16 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
You should have called the police when he started screaming and cursing.

You let this go on way too long.

I'm trying to figure out why you needed to ask if you should call the cops.

He sexually assaulted a child and assaulted another. You are the person responsible for these children.

If my kid was screwed up because of this, I'd go after you in court because you stood by and did nothing while my child was sexually assaulted.
It's really easy to sit here on your computer and pass judgment based on what you thought you would have done in the same situation. Cut her some slack. It was a tense situation, she came here for advice, and now she's doing something about it.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:18 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturallyNat View Post
... my actions don't only affect me.
This is all you need to remember, OP.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturallyNat View Post
Okay guys, I just got back from the police station. Someone else called it in yesterday and the police are doing nothing. Apparently other parents don't want to press charges. I asked if I could at least press charges for the property damage ( my sons ball) and pretty much got laughed out of the station
And this is the other reason everyone needs to calm the heck down. Cops are for the most part useless these days. Unless they think they can make an easy arrest or fine you for something, they aren't going to bother. Pathetic, but true. "Call the cops" isn't the answer to every problem. I think the OP handled things just fine. And yeah, there's always the concern about assault on a child. Especially considering how the parents of the delinquent acted, all she would have needed to do is lay a finger on the kid, even if it was in self-defense, and people like those parents would have her in court. She'd be the one getting hauled off to jail, while there would still be no consequences for the kid.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
I'd STILL be kicking the crap out of that kid - AND HIS FOLKS!
And you'd be in jail, while they'd still be walking free.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Correct View Post
OP said that she had Mace but did not use it for fear of getting in trouble.
Yeah, because it would have been assault on a minor.

This is not as black and white of a situation as so many people here seem to want it to be. Lots of talk about what everyone would have done if they were there ... yeah, sure. It's easy to be a tough guy when you're not in the middle of it.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:28 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,124,538 times
I agree with Adrian on all counts.

I can relate to the OP in the fact that my house was the place to go since I was a stay at home Mom and I got tired of being the babysitter, but I knew where my child was and he was safe.

I'm sure this is going to be a tremendous lesson OP. I wouldn't want to be in your shoes for anything in the world. You did your best by getting between that kid. I can understand about the Mace. If it would have hit one of the kids you were caring for, those parents would sue you.

You came here for help and you got slammed. I'm so sorry for that. You give of yourself to these street people and you get sh*t on for it. I did too.

Those kids that you're taking under your wing will be in the news in the next 10 years because they got shot because they're in a gang. Their Moms will be on TV crying, meanwhile they threw them to the streets to be raised by anyone that'll take them.

I lived in a not so nice area when my kids were young. I had 3 kids come to my house that were 2 brothers and a cousin and the youngest was 3 years old! I looked outside and my kid didn't have a bike to ride on. I sent them home and told my son he couldn't be friends.

You must really have a big heart. You couldn't PAY me to take 6 kids to the park and be the only adult.

My heart goes out to you. I don't know what I would have done had I been in your shoes.

The only advice I can give you is to try to figure out a way to keep these kids away from yours if none of them have responsible parents. I know... easier said than done.

Good luck and don't worry about replying back. You have enough to deal with as it is.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:38 PM

195 posts, read 186,327 times
I"d have kicked the kid in the guts when he did not stop his assaultive behavior. ditto his parents if they wanted any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting