Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 08:51 AM

948 posts, read 919,015 times

Advertisements

Teen girls get a lot of lectures about putting off children until they finish college and firmly establish a career. Do boys get as much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 08:59 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,419,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Simple, it's easy for guys to get a woman pregnant and just wait for the outcome. A woman must be physically and mentally ready to carry and deliver the baby there are much more risks involved. Some women are fearful of the whole delivery process that puts them off.

Yes clearly its such a simple decision for men because...you know...its not like theyre committing to an economic burden for the next 18 years minimum. Nor are the courts..you know...insistent that men should continue providing support for said child if the marriage doesnt work out.....

Its TOTALLY such an easy decision for men to have children....

Old 03-19-2015, 09:14 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,244,855 times
I cant figure out if they asked people under 18, or people without kids under 18. i think it is the later....but not sure.

I remember my sister saying she didn't want kids and didn't want to be like my mom, a SAHM. She went to college, got married, worked full-time for close to a decade, had kids and quit her job to be a SAHM.

We don't know what we are doing when we are young adults, we have fantasy visions of our future. I also had visions of what my life would be like as I got older, reality is different that our projections of what our future will be...like, I thought a career would be more rewarding than it truly is.I didn't realize how much I would love my children...I knew I would love them, I just couldn't fathom the depth of it.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:37 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,981,737 times
I don't have trouble believing the article. My husband always wanted kids. I was very unsure. Pregnancy always sounded awful to me (and experiencing it now, I was right) and child birth still scares me. I was raised with two parents, but really, my mom did everything while working full time. My dad was never helpful with cooking or cleaning and didn't drive us to activities or friend's houses or anything. He made money and that was that. My husband's family was a little more balanced, but still, I think the main burden fell on mom.

So, while I don't think my mom regrets having kids, it had to have been really hard. I decided pretty early on that I wanted none of that. If my husband was like my dad, we definitely would not be having kids. Luckily, he is extremely helpful and I know he'll do at least his share of the parenting. And, if he doesn't, well, then I won't be around. I don't need a husband just for money; I make plenty of that on my own. I need someone that is going to contribute equally on all fronts. I would never have even considered having kids if that wasn't the case.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:47 AM

19,967 posts, read 30,171,339 times
single men under 18 are immature boys

Old 03-21-2015, 01:19 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,462,665 times
Under 18 is very young for this type of study. At that age, both sexes will just be saying what they have been taught to believe. Young women are taught to wait until after college, and getting started on a career. Young men are taught that being a dad is cool without any more depth than that.

If you asked a 16 or 17 year old boy if he wanted to be a dad, and he said vehemently NO, most would think he's a bit off, and most guys know that.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:41 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,981,737 times
To me, it was pretty clear in the article that they asked "men and women without children under 18" which implies that they asked adults, not children.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:31 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,695,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
To me, it was pretty clear in the article that they asked "men and women without children under 18" which implies that they asked adults, not children.
Exactly...where are people getting the idea that they were asking children or teenagers?

Old 03-21-2015, 09:43 AM

141 posts, read 160,124 times
And yet there are so many single moms out there.

Guess guys want to be dads until it gets a bit tough, then split.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:45 AM

141 posts, read 160,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post

Yes clearly its such a simple decision for men because...you know...its not like theyre committing to an economic burden for the next 18 years minimum. Nor are the courts..you know...insistent that men should continue providing support for said child if the marriage doesnt work out.....

Its TOTALLY such an easy decision for men to have children....
Many of them work under the table to avoid paying child support. Sad, but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting