Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 03:13 AM

5 posts, read 4,514 times

Advertisements

I have to reply. Yes, for a fact, discipline starts when a child is young. I could not have asked for a more well-behaved child. She was in sports, straight A's - a real breath of fresh air. Honestly, I never had one minute of trouble out of her until she got about 18. I didn't see any warning signs and nobody else seemed to, either. As far as material things, I was given the bare necessities and some things that I wanted, and I wanted to give her more than I had. She always seemed grateful and took good care of her "stuff." I don't know what happened, other than she took a pill prescribed to her and liked it. She ran into a doctor who did not have a problem with writing extreme amounts of narcotics. That doctor has been without her license for three years now and my daughter can't find another one to write prescriptions like she was getting. So, she chose to go to the methadone clinic. Now her dose is very high and she just wants to sleep, so she'll be around here more. I will just have to handle it day by day, minute by minute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 03:25 AM

5 posts, read 4,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I have my doubts this is real, but in case it is, I'll just point out that a) you raised this person, and b) you are allowing her to behave this way. Pack her stuff, put it on the porch, change the locks.
I'm new to this. I would just like to point out that if you are on a website where people actually type in problems that may or may not be "real" and you have been on this website long enough to actually try to determine whether their problems are real or not, you may want to a) get a life b) get a life.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:36 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imlisadale View Post
Wow. My mother would be more than happy to take our daughter in and so would my brother. We are a close family and all work together to help the other with their problems. My brother's wife was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. Within a 9-month period, she went from lively and vibrant to comatose. She was in the 5-10% range of people who can't perform daily activities and has the attention span of a 6 year old. So, we all moved there to help him with their two young children and her. My husband, my children and I moved back here when she stabilized. So, "grandma" and bro would take my daughter back. She chooses for her things to be here because they live out in the country.

To top my LEGITIMATE post off, I did speak with here probation officer who recommended I speak with the magistrate. They promptly locked her up for three weeks until she could go in front of the judge. She did the time, got out and overdosed a week later on Mother's Day (again).

While in the hospital on life-support, we contacted every rehabilitation center we could find. Nobody would take her because she was too high risk. Her p.o. could not believe it herself. When she went back in front of the judge, he recommended outpatient treatment. She went for two weeks and got kicked out of that for nodding in class. Okie dokie then - you would think somebody would have noticed by now that she needs more help than we can give.

To just be kind about it - if you didn't think my life post/problem was for real, why did you even bother to reply/respond/acknowledge? Do people just make up problems because they like to type? I mean really.

My dad was an alcoholic and threw knives at mama just because he could. Me and my brother made it out of that. My mama never left him. Here it is 50 years they've been together. He has alcoholic dementia and mama controls everything. Believe me, nobody is going to work with me on this. My mama is from the old school and believes that love can fix anything. If you love somebody enough, they'll get better. So changing the locks isn't going to work. And believe me, my mom believes me and believes in me. That was an insult in my character that I can live without.
I did respond. I told you to let her live with Grandma if Grandma wouldn't let you lock her out of your home. Who cares if your daughter doesn't want to be out in the country? Why do her wants take precedence over your son's, yours and your husband's wishes to live free of an addict's drama? Love can't fix everything, and Grandma does your daughter no good by thinking it's possible.

And yes, people make up problems on a regular basis here. The fake posts peak during school breaks.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:02 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
You are allowing her to stay with you. Stop allowing it. She is an adult and you cannot control her behavior but you can control who you allow in your home.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:15 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
Quote:
I'm new to this. I would just like to point out that if you are on a website where people actually type in problems that may or may not be "real" and you have been on this website long enough to actually try to determine whether their problems are real or not, you may want to a) get a life b) get a life.
Don't jump down his/her throat. Stick around here long enough and you will find plenty of people with actual problems or questions that lots of posters are happy to answer. Then you have trolls. Trolls have a few common attributes: a tiny post count (usually the thread start is their first one), and they start a thread with an over-the-top or highly controversial/toe-stepping post.

Your first post meets both of those requirements. If you are not a troll, have patience with doubters. Most of us are lucky enough to have never been in a situation remotely like yours, and so your situation seems over-the-top.

Also, be on here enough and you will get burned at least once by a troll. People go through a lot of trouble and thought to help others here; trolls take that generosity and twist it so much that it makes a lot of people upset and leery and very willing to call out future trolls so others don't fall prey to them. If you aren't a troll, ignore the naysayers and be clear and concise to those who respond in earnest. The more you call people names, the more troll-like you become and the less help you will receive.

Now, my suggestion to the immediate problem (daughter waking son up): get a rubbermaid storage locker (like a plastic wardrobe) and place it outside the house and put her possessions in it. That way she has a place for her stuff that she can access at any time without even going in the house. I realize that money is tight, but perhaps your son will see how much it will benefit him and save up to buy it.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:23 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
I would like to point out that a) I'm not the only one who sensed that your post was fake b) you waited 16 days to come back to your own thread

Old 04-06-2015, 09:16 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Change the locks and tell her if she wants to live at your place like a hotel then she needs to pay the rates .

Old 04-06-2015, 09:23 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
So move out and let Grandma deal with it. Your daughter is only modeling her behavior after you -- aren't you shacking up with your mother too?

Old 04-07-2015, 02:23 PM

491 posts, read 324,244 times
Quote:
Somebody please help!!! My soon-to-be 27-year-old daughter is a real piece of work. Believe me, we have tried everything we know to try to just get along with her. She is impossible. We lost our home due to my work being sent overseas and my parents are nice enough to let us live in their single-wide until we can get on our feet. Well, it's 2 bedrooms. I'll try to be brief and summarize our problem(s). Our 21-year-old son works third shift. He doesn't give us any trouble. He works and does what is expected of him and shows love and respect. Our daughter doesn't live here but all of her clothes are here. She'll pop up at 9:00 at night, switch on the light in "their" room and sort threw mounds of clothes strewn all over her dresser until our son finally has enough and tells her to get out of the room until he gets up at 9:30. That starts a complete war with her eventually cussing each of us out, telling me and her dad how sorry we are and what terrible parents we are. She was spoiled rotten by us as a child. We gave her everything money could buy. We also let her know she was loved; how pretty she was, how sweet she was; what a good girl she was. Something happened when she hit about 18. She dropped out of school, but did get here GED and attended college for about 6 months. She quit here job, starting dating guys who sold drugs and started doing drugs. The doctor who was prescribing her over 500 pain pills a month eventually lost her license. This was after she overdosed twice on street drugs and was put on life support each time. We've been through hell with her. She now goes to the methadone clinic and isn't going to jail every other month or so. She has a boyfriend who supports her and the 330.00 a month for the clinic. Well, she treats him like a dog, runs around on him - but now has another man she says she's in love with. (I think she has about quit prostituting.) She spends the night here about three nights out of a month. She checks in about three days a week to change clothes, get clothes, raise hell and tell us how sorry we are. I know she has mental health problems and unfortunately, this didn't show until she was grown. She absolutely refuses to get help. What am I supposed to do about her? We can't live a normal life. People will say well, kick here out. Remember - this is my parent's trailer, so that's out. No way is her grandma going to kick her and won't let me. Please somebody tell me a solution. We pray for her and turn this over to God over and over and over. I'm afraid one of us is going to lose our temper, slap the mess out of her and end up in jail. My husband is disabled, partially paralyzed on the left side. She told him tonight he was a stupid SOB and to shut the f up. My son has a really hard time with that. We need our own place so bad, but I was the breadwinner and my job of medical transcription of 20 years was sent overseas. Anyways, I got hurt in a wreck and I damaged my pinkie so I can't type that fast anymore anyway if it came back today. Help somebody. This is not a hotel - it is a home.

Introduce her to some sap and get her off your hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting