Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 04:40 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times

Advertisements

Nothing wrong with never having or not wanting to have kids but an American woman on our telly just now, think she might have writtien a book.. Marriage for better or worse.. shes saying she married with both not wanting kids.. fair enough but when she hit her forties she started to wish she wanted some.... her reasons..............her words........ ON my deathbed Id like to have my children there and maybe grandchildren.... what a selfish woman.. does she think thats all wanting and having kids is all about.. to cry over her body... Ill try and find her name... what a pain..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 07:13 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
I haven't read the book. I'm going off what you've written above. I wouldn't call her selfish. There is a lot of emotion there that doesn't come through in the spoken or written word. IMO, she is just saying she would like to be surrounded by love throughout the rest of her life. She is just expressing regret for what she realizes she will never have because she didn't think through her choices.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:21 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Some people look at kids as an accessory to decorate their lives. Some of them grow out of it after they have a kid. Others go on to give the bare minimum of care unless it's visible to others, and to let their older kids raise their younger kids. Since this woman didn't have any children, there's no way to know whether she would have grown out of it.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:37 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,294,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Nothing wrong with never having or not wanting to have kids but an American woman on our telly just now, think she might have writtien a book.. Marriage for better or worse.. shes saying she married with both not wanting kids.. fair enough but when she hit her forties she started to wish she wanted some.... her reasons..............her words........ ON my deathbed Id like to have my children there and maybe grandchildren.... what a selfish woman.. does she think thats all wanting and having kids is all about.. to cry over her body... Ill try and find her name... what a pain..
Having kids in NOTHING BUT a "selfish" thing at the core of it!
Why do/did YOU have children?

Old 03-24-2015, 07:48 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
I don't know..."on my deathbed" is sort of a saying meaning "at the end of my life, what will have been most important in my life" here in the U.S.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:18 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Where does it say she wants them crying over her body? Many people have regrets on their death bed....are you so perfect you won't have any?

Old 03-24-2015, 09:38 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I haven't read the book. I'm going off what you've written above. I wouldn't call her selfish. There is a lot of emotion there that doesn't come through in the spoken or written word. IMO, she is just saying she would like to be surrounded by love throughout the rest of her life. She is just expressing regret for what she realizes she will never have because she didn't think through her choices.
If I didn't know better, I'd think the universe was out of alignment. So much outrage over so little all over the internet today! People are complex, emotional, often short-sighted, and chronically judgmental toward others. It's part of being human, and rarely does anyone make it through life with no regrets. Let's give the woman a break, shall we?

Old 03-24-2015, 01:30 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
I don't read that statement and take it the same way the OP did.

To have your children and grandchildren at your deathbed would imply a life of great memories and events. I wouldn't want just anyone to show up at my deathbed, and i sure as well wouldn't want to be by the side of someone I didn't love and respect...and that takes years of love, and devotion to earn.

I'm sure the woman didn't mean to imply she'd have a few kids and then run off and enjoy her life and just expect them to show up when it's her turn to go? I'm sure there would be a lifetime of fond memories before she got to that point.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:45 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
How is that selfish? She's realizing that when she dies she will likely have no loved ones around her.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:32 AM

914 posts, read 765,545 times
Why doesn't this woman adopt one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting