Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 10:42 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,910,340 times

Advertisements

which do you choose? and whats the furthest you would drive for a daycare? is 5 miles too far
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 11:03 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,972,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
which do you choose? and whats the furthest you would drive for a daycare? is 5 miles too far
I'm dealing with this right now... I would prefer something close to my house because I commute to work by train. I also walk to the train right now and I hate the idea of needing to drive to a daycare then park my car at home only to walk to the train station. We paid a premium to live by the train station in our town and if we're driving every day that seems like it was wasted money.

Luckily, there is a very well reviewed daycare only a couple blocks away. We will either go with that place or a live-in au pair. I'm not sure how I feel about the live-in idea though... Of course, the au pair is less expensive than day care for an infant.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:09 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,122,698 times
I've done both and they each have their pros and cons.

Close to home is nice because your child spends less time stuck in a carseat. And if you are sick or taking the day off to run errands or something, it's easy to drop your kid off. But it means you have to operate within the daycare schedule including your commute. If you get stuck in traffic or on public transportation, you are staring at the clock praying you make it to pick up time before they start charging by the minute. It limits your ability to stay late for even a few minutes to get something finished up or when your boss drops by your office to ask a question at 5 pm you have to ask them to wait until tomorrow.

Close to work is nice when your child is older because you share the commute with them and it's a good time to talk. And if there are activities at daycare that you want to participate in, it's easier to stop by in the middle of the work day. But you may get stuck in traffic with a tired, hungry, whiny kid who refused to use the potty before leaving daycare and desperately needs to now. And there's no chance to duck out of work a few minutes early to try to make a quick grocery store run without the kid. And if you are sick enough to take the day off work, you still need to schlep all the way to daycare and back times two (AM and PM).

Old 03-24-2015, 11:20 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,838,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
Work would make most sense, since you're in that general area anyways.

In some areas, you don't have a choice.

In Seattle, people start putting their names on the waiting lists for daycares before the baby's born because its highly competitive. Spots and daycare options are scarce. I've heard it's gotten even more expensive. Yikes.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:22 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,915,214 times
We went with a daycare close to work so that I could breastfeed on my lunch break.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:22 AM

42 posts, read 68,158 times
i prefer close home because that way if your a 2 parent home its easy for both to drop off. if its near my office, its offers less flexibility for my husband to help me out if I'm designated daycare person lol

Old 03-24-2015, 11:39 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,972,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
In Seattle, people start putting their names on the waiting lists for daycares before the baby's born because its highly competitive. Spots and daycare options are scarce. I've heard it's gotten even more expensive. Yikes.
Yep, I've already done that as well and I'm only 12 weeks pregnant. Crazy, right?

My husband and I are lucky that generally one of us always has some flexibility with our jobs; if one is swamped, the other can handle the pick-up that day. We also both get out of work at 4:00 pm, which is pretty early.

Hopefully things will work out with the place by our house. If not, I will look into places by work, but I know already that the cost will be insane; if it's $1700/month in the suburbs I would be my house it is going to be even more in the Chicago Loop due to the high cost of space here.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:57 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,910,340 times
im thinking close to home because we only have one car. what if the car breaks down? at least from home. the wife can either hop on a bus or take a cab and it wont cost as much if its a short distance from home.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:10 PM

25,792 posts, read 21,942,589 times
I always chose something close to work and paid a premium even when I couldn't afford it because I wanted my child as close as possible to where I was in case there was an emergency or urgent need.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:22 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,830,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I've done both and they each have their pros and cons.

Close to home is nice because your child spends less time stuck in a carseat. And if you are sick or taking the day off to run errands or something, it's easy to drop your kid off. But it means you have to operate within the daycare schedule including your commute. If you get stuck in traffic or on public transportation, you are staring at the clock praying you make it to pick up time before they start charging by the minute. It limits your ability to stay late for even a few minutes to get something finished up or when your boss drops by your office to ask a question at 5 pm you have to ask them to wait until tomorrow.

Close to work is nice when your child is older because you share the commute with them and it's a good time to talk. And if there are activities at daycare that you want to participate in, it's easier to stop by in the middle of the work day. But you may get stuck in traffic with a tired, hungry, whiny kid who refused to use the potty before leaving daycare and desperately needs to now. And there's no chance to duck out of work a few minutes early to try to make a quick grocery store run without the kid. And if you are sick enough to take the day off work, you still need to schlep all the way to daycare and back times two (AM and PM).
Exactly this. Pick your poison.

Personally, I prefer close to home. Just try to find a daycare with a reasonable pick-up cutoff time. 5:30 is bull****. 6:00 should be the standard.

Edit: 7:30 start times are also bull****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting