U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 02:56 PM

5,806 posts, read 5,106,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
And lastly, one of my daughters gained a huge amount of weight in one year (50 lbs), and she was diagnosed with insulin resistance. She is on Metformin and hasn't gained any weight in 6+ months.
The massive weight gain CAUSES insulin resistance. The metformin helps decrease blood sugar a little, and does help with slowing weight gain. But if a person with insulin resistance loses weight by watching what they eat, and exercising, the insulin resistance disappears.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 03:20 PM

10,194 posts, read 8,059,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
The massive weight gain CAUSES insulin resistance. The metformin helps decrease blood sugar a little, and does help with slowing weight gain. But if a person with insulin resistance loses weight by watching what they eat, and exercising, the insulin resistance disappears.
Not always. I know several people who were thin with insulin resistance and/or gained weight AFTER becoming insulin resistant. It can be caused by several things. Weight gain being one of them. But also medications, genetics and potentially fasting or starvation (e.g. eating disorders)

Old 03-28-2015, 04:15 PM

15 posts, read 20,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
So presumably your wife is stronger than you are too? So have your wife give her a smackdown.

No, I'm not being serious, I don't think there should be physical altercations or punishments in any family.

I do think you could use some family counseling to make sure you are all clear with and respectful of appropriate boundaries.
Oh yeah, they're both a lot taller and stronger than me. I'm the little guy in the house I wouldn't want to get caught in the middle of that smackdown!

We've discussed counseling too and it looks like we're going in that direction.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:53 PM

18,169 posts, read 11,273,272 times
I'm with taking her to a doctor- either her pediatrician or perhaps a doctor specializing in adolescent medicine. The huge spurt, weight gain, and aggressiveness makes me think some kind of hormonal issue, especially given her age. You didn't mention if she's gotten her period yet.... An overall physical with a little extra bloodwork is maybe all that's necessary to give some direction.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:59 PM

18,169 posts, read 11,273,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan2112 View Post
Hi, thanks for the feedback. Yes, she does shot put and discuss in track and field and started weight lifting last year. She's put on an extraordinary amount of muscle over the past year; it's physically visible on her.
Jeez....sorry I didn't read this first....be sure she's not on steroids - an obvious cause of aggression.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:55 PM

6,419 posts, read 5,786,104 times
Quote:
Hi, thanks for the feedback. Yes, she does shot put and discuss in track and field and started weight lifting last year. She's put on an extraordinary amount of muscle over the past year; it's physically visible on her.
Does she look fat?

If she is just very big and strong, and not chubby looking, I wouldn't be worried too much.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:34 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,944,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
I have PCOS (and I'm willing to bet this poster's daughter does too) and the hormonal imbalance with this disorder causes insulin resistance. I am a normal weight but I still have insulin resistance; metformin helps.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Does she look fat?

If she is just very big and strong, and not chubby looking, I wouldn't be worried too much.
Hi Larry,

She does look a little overweight, but every week it seems to be more and more muscle, and less fat.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:14 AM

5,413 posts, read 5,715,840 times
Quote:
Hi Larry,

She does look a little overweight, but every week it seems to be more and more muscle, and less fat.
Have you taken her to the doctor yet?

Old 04-15-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Have you taken her to the doctor yet?
Yes, we've seen three different doctors, and all bloodwork, etc. has come back negative, so that's good. They just want her to improve her diet and do more cardio, which she has done (she's lost about ten lbs. since I first posted this). So physically she seems to be OK, albeit taller, larger and stronger than a typical girl her age.

One of the therapists we talked to is worried about her aggression towards me. She was as concerned for my well being as my daughters. My wife is much taller and stronger then my daughter, so my daughter doesn't try anything when she's around.

Last edited by Ethan2112; 04-15-2015 at 12:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting