U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 06:24 PM

6,419 posts, read 5,792,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan2112 View Post
Hi Larry,

She does look a little overweight, but every week it seems to be more and more muscle, and less fat.
Then I would be on the lookout for performance-enhancing drug use, and if that is not a factor, just don't spend all the rugby scholarship money in one place.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 03:19 PM

15 posts, read 20,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Serious family counseling needed here. See if you can get her some volunteer time at a stable. Horses are great for girls. Plus, riding will make her more conscientious of her weight. Men ride all the time at that weight so it's wrong to think she's too heavy to ride a horse. Still, being on top of a horse and around horses caring for them makes me more aware of my own health.

You need to be able to put her in her place, too, when tries to bully you and that could get ugly. Find out FAST how you're supposed to legally handle that.
Hi, thanks for the horse suggestion. My best friend's sister-in-law has a small stable with a couple of horses and a few acres. She went riding and really enjoyed it. My wife and I had fun too. She hasn't bullied me recently either, not physically anyway, like the first time when she picked me off the ground.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:51 PM

4 posts, read 4,251 times
Interesting post. I had the same issue with my daughter, I mean the weight gain and growth. Not to the extent of your daughter, and minus the muscle stuff and aggression, but it was a little scary for us. Diet and exercise worked for us, which was a relief.

How have things been going out of curiosity? I mean no offense by this, but I can't imagine what it would be like, as a man, to be so much smaller and weaker than my 13 year old daughter. How does your wife feel about all of this? You mentioned your daughter picked you up of the ground. How did that happen? Did she hit you? Sorry for the questions, but just curious.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:39 AM

Hi, I'm glad everything worked out for your daughter. Things are going OK here, at least better than before. My wife was definitely concerned about our daughter's health, as was I. I looks like she's healthy, just big and strong, so physically everything is alright. As far as what my daughter actually did to me was that she grabbed me by my collar, lifted me off the ground and held me against the wall, then proceeded to mock me. I grabbed one of her arms with both of mine to try to move it, but it wouldn't budge, she's just too much stronger than me.

My wife was worried a lot after this, She travels a lot for work and didn't want to leave me alone after that. She thought that if something like this happened again I might get hurt. We've been to family therapy and things are looking brighter now.

Last edited by Ethan2112; 07-08-2015 at 04:07 AM..

Old 07-08-2015, 01:55 PM

23,412 posts, read 14,673,785 times
Quote:
Hi, I'm glad everything worked out for your daughter. Things are going OK here, at least better than before. My wife was definitely concerned about our daughter's health, as was I. I looks like she's healthy, just big and strong, so physically everything is alright. As far as what my daughter actually did to me was that she grabbed me by my collar, lifted me off the ground and held me against the wall, then proceeded to mock me. I grabbed one of her arms with both of mine to try to move it, but it wouldn't budge, she's just too much stronger than me.

My wife was worried a lot after this, She travels a lot for work and didn't want to leave me alone after that. She thought that if something like this happened again I might get hurt. We've been to family therapy and things are looking brighter now.
Glad that things are going ok. Thanks for posting the update.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:51 PM

4 posts, read 4,251 times
Quote:

I'm glad therapy is working out. What has the therapist suggested? But geez, getting lifted of the ground and being completely overpowered, yikes. What did you say at that moment? and what did she say? That must have been completely frightening/emasculating.

And it's nice that your wife wants to protect you. Thank Heavens she is bigger and stronger than your daughter (I can't imagine if both of you were little), but what do you do when she travels for work? I mean if she's away, and your daughter decides to throw you around, what will you do? Maybe self-defense classes? Like someone in another post mentioned, you better find out how to handle that situation asap, because it may be difficult and embarrassing to explain to anyone that you got beat up by your "little" girl. Good luck.

Last edited by Mark2347; 07-08-2015 at 03:38 PM..

Old 07-09-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2347 View Post
I'm glad therapy is working out. What has the therapist suggested? But geez, getting lifted of the ground and being completely overpowered, yikes. What did you say at that moment? and what did she say? That must have been completely frightening/emasculating.

And it's nice that your wife wants to protect you. Thank Heavens she is bigger and stronger than your daughter (I can't imagine if both of you were little), but what do you do when she travels for work? I mean if she's away, and your daughter decides to throw you around, what will you do? Maybe self-defense classes? Like someone in another post mentioned, you better find out how to handle that situation asap, because it may be difficult and embarrassing to explain to anyone that you got beat up by your "little" girl. Good luck.

Hi Mark2347, thanks for your comments and interest.

Most of the effectiveness of therapy is discussing things out in the open that we were keeping to ourselves, at least for us. That's helped a whole lot, especially with the therapist acting as a moderator of sorts. She didn’t mention anything earthshattering that would heal us immediately. Like I said before, it’s working out really well for us but will take some time.

It’s difficult for me to discuss what we said to each other, or anything about that incident. But the short version of what happened that night was that I went into my daughters’ room and told her to straighten it, which her mother told her to do three days prior. She said "who's going to make me?", then came over and picked me up and put me against the wall. I was literally too stunned to speak, so I tried to move her arm by grabbing the upper arm bicep/tricep area, which didn't work at all. She looked down at my hands pushing her arm and said “awe, that’s cute. Do you really think that’s going to work?” then started giggling. She said some other mean things about how weak I was then carried me out of her room, put me in the hallway and told me not to come in without her permission. I was so frightened all I could muster was an “OK” then I apologized to her. At that moment she was in complete control, both physically and mentally. That was about the lowest moment for me, it still makes me feel sick, and I’m trying to put it behind me.

I don’t think self-defense will be necessary, but thanks for the suggestions. She understands the consequences if she crosses that line. We discussed that in and out of therapy and we’re on the right path. I feel really good about the future and where our family is going. Of course there will be moments of concern over the next few months, but the most important thing to me is that my daughter is healthy. If you want more info feel free to message me. I'll try to keep this forum up to date for those concerned. It's really great to discuss this stuff on a forum, because I could never talk about this with my friends or family, so thanks for all of the input.

Last edited by Ethan2112; 07-09-2015 at 10:33 PM..

Old 07-10-2015, 06:15 PM

1,247 posts, read 1,206,084 times
Five ten? ??????? Look girls get bigger but they are still tiny no matter what.

If your having an problem with her not respecting you, for your height then you need to either.

A. Put something in your shoes/footwear that makes you taller.

B. Get an family member to lay down the law on her.

She is still an girl no matter how tall she will get.

Your just different people. Does she get an allowance or do chores, or learn how to drive, or is an swim, running, etc team????????? MAKE SURE TO KEEP HER BUSY. PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT BUSY WILL START THINKING THINGS.

So far an issue I am hearing is the idea of her being taller then you makes her more or less equal to you. If she is not busy she might just have that input idea in her head. Like I have an cousin who was also kinda chubby and tall but she started to date this older guy. Even so years later she has left the house in and out over and over again.

The point being, your daughter is still short compared to most men. She needs to VENT her body by being ATHLETIC and around her peers. I am not saying anything abnormal but IT IS OBVIOUS ( From the weight ) that she needs to BE MORE MOBILE. I HAVE THAT PROBLEM. I was trying to get to 100lbs but because of laziness and not being mobile as I was, I have gone to 260LBs. Get her into some sorta physical activity where she is able to move around.,

She has long legs? Maybe she could train to be an runner? Swimming, BasketBall, VolleyBall, or anything else?

Her body has to burn that wight and the only other answer is interaction with people. That was keeping the weight off me for an long time.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
Five ten? ??????? Look girls get bigger but they are still tiny no matter what.

If your having an problem with her not respecting you, for your height then you need to either.

A. Put something in your shoes/footwear that makes you taller.

B. Get an family member to lay down the law on her.

She is still an girl no matter how tall she will get.

Your just different people. Does she get an allowance or do chores, or learn how to drive, or is an swim, running, etc team????????? MAKE SURE TO KEEP HER BUSY. PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT BUSY WILL START THINKING THINGS.

So far an issue I am hearing is the idea of her being taller then you makes her more or less equal to you. If she is not busy she might just have that input idea in her head. Like I have an cousin who was also kinda chubby and tall but she started to date this older guy. Even so years later she has left the house in and out over and over again.

The point being, your daughter is still short compared to most men. She needs to VENT her body by being ATHLETIC and around her peers. I am not saying anything abnormal but IT IS OBVIOUS ( From the weight ) that she needs to BE MORE MOBILE. I HAVE THAT PROBLEM. I was trying to get to 100lbs but because of laziness and not being mobile as I was, I have gone to 260LBs. Get her into some sorta physical activity where she is able to move around.,

She has long legs? Maybe she could train to be an runner? Swimming, BasketBall, VolleyBall, or anything else?

Her body has to burn that wight and the only other answer is interaction with people. That was keeping the weight off me for an long time.
Hi RegalSin, thanks for the comment.

In answer to your first two questions, yes she does sports. I mentioned in an earlier response she is on her school's track and field team. She does discuss and shot put. As strong as she is, she's not that good yet because a lot of it is form, and she's new and still really young.

As for chores, yes, she does do chores. My wife recently suggested she do some of the chores that I was doing, that require strength and frankly I was struggling with. So now my daughter is doing some of my old chores, and I am doing her's, like setting the table, doing dishes and cleaning her bedroom. She also gets an allowance, and she recently asked me to increase it and I said OK. Everything is working out well there and we are all happy with the arrangement.

She's tried basketball and volleyball, because of her height, and without sounding too mean she's just not that good at either, although we do encourage her. She REALLY like shotput though, so that's a good thing.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Glad that things are going ok. Thanks for posting the update.
Hi, emm74, and thank YOU for the support. This isn't the kind of thing I can discuss with the guys when out at a bar watching the game if you know what I mean. Or my immediate family, so discussing it here really helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting