Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 04:23 PM

66 posts, read 129,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I don't think it necessarily makes you a racist. There are different cultural issues and some things like possibly raising children are harder when you are a mixed race couple. I think you would be a concerned, but not racist parent if that is the focus of your objections.
I agree with this.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:25 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I don't think it necessarily makes you a racist. There are different cultural issues and some things like possibly raising children are harder when you are a mixed race couple. I think you would be a concerned, but not racist parent if that is the focus of your objections.
It's only harder because of people like the OP...a child is a child.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:26 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
I think the fact that you are attempting to justify your racism by arguing that it is okay for you to NOT be a racist (which you claim you are not) because Arab Muslims are racists when they don't want their offspring to intermix is utterly ridiculous.

Focus on your daughter's needs, inherent worth, and personal dignity. If you continue to argue with her using your brand of 'logic', you will lose her respect. Is that what you really want?

Old 03-27-2015, 04:27 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,568,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kachere View Post
My daughter is 17 and she's dating a young black man who is also 17. They go to the same school. Now I know in this PC- orientated world, people will immediately claim I'm a racist. Personally, I don't think I am. Racism has somewhat lost its meaning due to the rise of liberalism... it used to mean someone who believes in racial superiority and discriminates against people of a different race. I do neither. I'm just not comfortable with the idea of her being with the guys she's with. Call me old school if you like. And before people shout "racist" down my throat - Arab Muslims only want their children to date/marry other Arab Muslims. Is that racist?
Your entitled to think as you want. Its your family, and no one else's, but some of the people that will call you racist probably think the same way, if it was their child. Ultimately, it will be her decision, but you have a right to feel what's best for your family, regardless of what toes you may step on. If they don't like it, its tough. They don't have to. You aren't depriving anyone of their rights, so I don't see that as racist. Your daughter is still under age and that makes you responsible for her well being , and that gives you a voice, at least until she is 18 years old. Do you need approval for the World on what you think is best for your family? I don't think so.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:27 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Naw...he sounds more like the Stormfront sort....
It is sexist of you to assume the OP is male just because the subject is someone not wanting their daughter to date a black boy.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Your entitled to think as you want. Its your family, and no one else's, but some of the people that will call you racist probably think the same way, if it was their child. Ultimately, it will be her decision, but you have a right to feel what's best for your family, regardless of what toes you may step on. If they don't like it, its tough. They don't have to. You aren't depriving anyone of their rights, so I don't see that as racist. Your daughter is still under age and that makes you responsible for her well being , and that gives you a voice, at least until she is 18 years old. Do you need approval for the World on what you think is best for your family? I don't think so.
You don't see anything racist about not liking a person just because of their skin color? Hate to break it to you ..but that is racism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Thank you for being a voice of reason in a sea of overreaction. And what you say about people feeling the same way if it was their own child is so true. I know a couple who claimed to have nothing against homosexuality but when it turned out their son was gay, they had a problem with it. Hypocrites.

5,443 posts, read 4,675,872 times
Yes you are unreasonable for rejecting your daughter's boyfriend for being black. If you had found out something awful about him and you warned her about it, then you would have had a merit. But solely on skin color? Yes you are a racist.

And I think you know it.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachere View Post
Thank you for being a voice of reason in a sea of overreaction. And what you say about people feeling the same way if it was their own child is so true. I know a couple who claimed to have nothing against homosexuality but when it turned out their son was gay, they had a problem with it. Hypocrites.
My daughter at college current dates sometimes a young man whose an exchange student from the UK....he's black.. . So your point is?

Old 03-27-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
My daughter at college current dates sometimes a young man whose an exchange student from the UK....he's black.. . So your point is?
I didn't say you specifically. And just because you're okay with your daughter being with a black man doesn't mean everyone else should share your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting