Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 06:12 PM

22,350 posts, read 11,881,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachere View Post
From what I know, he sounds like he is middle class. I don't know about the details of his home life.
Yet you still didn't answer the question. If he came from an intact family that was middle class, would you still care about his skin color?

I'm glad that my ancestors didn't care about skin color and as a result, I'm 1/8 black. If they cared about skin color, I wouldn't be here today.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:16 PM

66 posts, read 129,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Yet you still didn't answer the question. If he came from an intact family that was middle class, would you still care about his skin color?

I'm glad that my ancestors didn't care about skin color and as a result, I'm 1/8 black. If they cared about skin color, I wouldn't be here today.
Not skin color per se, but the fact that he was from a different racial/cultural background. Just because he's on the same socio-economic level as my family doesn't mean there are no differences. Also, since you are 1/8 black, I figure that interracial union took place quite some time ago. You may want to read about old interracial unions. Many people involved in IR sex at the time weren't exactly open-minded. Temptations can get the better of us.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:22 PM

9,803 posts, read 11,492,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWEvergreen View Post
My younger brother was hurt badly in a sporting accident when he was in HS. He was in a comma and visitation rights to see him were restricted to "immediate family only". One of his best friends as well as his coach were both black and we were all white. They both wanted to see my brother. The hospital staff refused them because of their rules. But since many of us family members were standing there waiting to go in, both the black friend and coach claimed to be his "brother". The rest of us whites nodded in agreement and they were allowed to enter! Those guys were very important to my brother. That's all that really mattered!
Great Post Repped!

Old 03-27-2015, 06:22 PM

22,350 posts, read 11,881,460 times
I have many extended family members in the present that are in interracial marriages. Everybody on both sides accepts them and loves them and their kids. We wouldn't have it any other way.

You also realize that when people from 2 different ethnic groups marry, there are differences. Same thing when people from 2 different faiths marry. Yet many people in such marriages learn to accept the differences and make compromises.

The more I read, the more I think that you are letting your prejudices affect your thinking.

At least your daughter was not affected by your thinking on this matter. Good for her!

Old 03-27-2015, 06:26 PM

493 posts, read 510,080 times
Quote:
I can guarantee you if an Arab Muslim wanted to marry an African-American Muslim, the Arab parents would still object.
I know a lot of black muslims who have travel to the middle east and married just fine. Remember their daughters are getting green cards. But yea your racist.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:27 PM

6,874 posts, read 7,851,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
The OP never said he didn't like the Boy. He said he did not approve of him dating his Daughter. Read that again. HIS DAUGHTER, not yours or anyone else's. And if the Truth was known 99% of the ones yelling "Racist" are glad its not their Daughter.
To be fair, the OPs original question asked us to voice an opinion on whether or not he is a racist. I seriously doubt he thought everyone would say he wasn't, so I don't think you can get on our cases because we said he was.

My daughter dated a black guy. I was not crazy about this particular kid, but I said nothing and let it run its natural course. She certainly didn't suffer negative societal consequences as a result.

There are lots of 'isms' that we all deal with every day. Ageism, sexism, racism, classism....as humans we are called upon to be thoughtful about our interactions with others and monitor ourselves appropriately.

If the OP is content to be a racist and doesn't want his daughter to date a black guy, that is his right. But it is probably to his benefit to admit to himself that his views are not the same as others, and realize that he might be better off choosing not to ACT on his racist feelings.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:33 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,775,153 times
In the final analysis, she is YOUR Daughter, not the Daughter of anyone on here, so it is absolutely your right to want certain things for her, and for you to to not want her to do certain things. Any Parent who says they would not think the same way is lying.

I don't think it makes you any worse of a Parent than if she came home with a white guy who you felt was not of the right character for her, or who you felt might harm her.

Over the years, my Sons dated girls that my Wife and I felt were somehow not right for them, and I don't feel bad for having those feelings.........we were generally right in the end. You are simply a loving Dad who has your own sense of values and you just want the best for her. If my own Sons came home with a black girl, I can't say I would be exactly thrilled either. It is no different than an Italian family wanting their Daughter to marry another Italian, or a Jewish family wanting another Jew to be dating their child. It is just the way the world is.

Stone me if you wish, but we all do things that others could judge, but they are not living our lives.

Don

Old 03-27-2015, 06:38 PM

66 posts, read 129,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
To be fair, the OPs original question asked us to voice an opinion on whether or not he is a racist. I seriously doubt he thought everyone would say he wasn't, so I don't think you can get on our cases because we said he was.

My daughter dated a black guy. I was not crazy about this particular kid, but I said nothing and let it run its natural course. She certainly didn't suffer negative societal consequences as a result.

There are lots of 'isms' that we all deal with every day. Ageism, sexism, racism, classism....as humans we are called upon to be thoughtful about our interactions with others and monitor ourselves appropriately.

If the OP is content to be a racist and doesn't want his daughter to date a black guy, that is his right. But it is probably to his benefit to admit to himself that his views are not the same as others, and realize that he might be better off choosing not to ACT on his racist feelings.
Well, teenage and interracial relationships rarely last anyway. So like you with your daughter, letting it naturally run its course seems to be a viable option.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:38 PM

510 posts, read 607,876 times
Quote:
So you would brand 9/10 Arabs as racist?
I am curious why you keep mentioning this 9/10 Arabs thing? Have you ever heard of Berbers? Nubians? How would you classify Egypt's late president Anwar Sadat? Have you been to Sudan or Egypt? Morocco? There are many mixed people with all skin tones from black to white?

Arab is a cultural identification, not a genetic one. You can be both Arab and black.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:40 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,359,534 times
Quote:
From what I know, he sounds like he is middle class. I don't know about the details of his home life.
From the title of this thread..initially I was going to ask What is your rationale? But it appears you don;t even know this young man..So it all comes down to "Pre-judgment based on colour of skin...SMH..Sorry but that notion is strictly based on prejudicial notions..Not based on the individual you chose to Judge.

Maybe it's time you met this young man...and IF that's too difficult..Maybe you need to communicate with your daughter and find out more about her boyfriend. I've have always found it very common for those who buy into fear mongering types who feed hate info's in order to prove their point corrupts one's perspective....Be a good Dad and do your due diligence..Good Luck!! and please Stop Drinking the proliferation of such Hate Mongering's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.