Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 01:15 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times

Advertisements

Eh.

Memorabilia? Absolutely the kids if it's "kid related," yet how do you prove this?

Jewelry? Idk what kind of male jewelry he had but as for the female jewelry, the only reason RW should have been holding onto this is if 1. He gave it to his wife or 2. He "intended" to give it to his children at a later date.

Intentions are hard to prove after death. I'm very glad that my grandmother gave me a ring that she "intended" to give me after she died while she was still living. She literally used to show me a ring once every few years and say, "this is the ring that you will get after I die!" HOW MORBID! I really hated when she did that and am glad she gave it to me while alive! Afterall, she wasn't actively USING IT so why wait for her to die to give to me?!

My aunt was not so lucky and had another aunt (the estate trustee) essentially steal a ring from her sister that we all know my grandmother "intended" to give to my aunt who got bubkis.

The moral of the story: as you die, so do your "intentions" if not written down. Those who are alive right now I hope will do better estate planning than RW did so your heirs don't have to go through this.

"Live for today and give your stuff away!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 01:46 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,546,362 times
I always like to hear both side of the story before i judge. I had this happen to a ex girlfriend once. I was on her side until i found out that, her and her brother made their Step mom's life a living hell for 20 plus years. My ex was kick out when she was 17 for slapping her step mom in front of family and friends. Her story was always that of the victim till other family actually came to the step mom Defense.
Step wives and husbands usually don't act like that unless there is bad history.
My 2cents!

Old 03-30-2015, 01:57 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
It isn't just step parents that do this, a death of someone who has anything, not even a big estate brings out the greediest relatives.
This!

Old 03-30-2015, 02:19 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,892,503 times
Always two sides to every story. It is wrong for the stepparent to give away stuff that belonged to the parent but I've seen this happen even when there isn't stepchildren. I had my greedy aunt go in and take stuff that belonged to her parents (my grandparents) and give it to my cousins and her step kids who never had a relationship with my grandparents. Also, many stepparents become resentful because they often give up so much to marry a parent so they look at this as payback. My uncle married a woman with grown kids and when she died her kids tried to take her things, including things my aunt and uncle bought together. I've seen far more evil stepchildren than evil stepparents.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:53 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
If you want someone to have something, give it to them while you are still alive. You cannot count on anyone carrying out your wishes after you are gone.
Excellent points.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:50 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
My dad's original will stated that all of his properties and material goods (that we did not want) should be sold and the proceeds split evenly between my siblings and me. After stepmonster was done EVERYTHING went to her.

If she had been with my father for any length of time and had an actual relationship with him I may be forgiving but as I said she married him less than two months before he died and only knew him for a year in total.
Did you think of getting an attorney? Surely there should be a lawsuit there. Did she have herself made executor of his new will? After only two months of marriage and him not being in good health seems like an offense to justice to me.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:12 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times
money can split a family right down the middle. People get so greedy over the stupid stuff.
My sisters fought about almost everything in my Dads house. They both wanted everything. I really wasn't going to fight over chotchkes I had no use for. My advise for parents is to give your kids what you want them to have BEFORE you die. (If possible)
Most people pretty much know when they aren't going to need the fine jewelry and antiques anymore. When we get to certain ages we should start cleaning out some of the unused but valuable things and giving them to people you care About, who needs the family fights over these things?

Old 03-30-2015, 07:12 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Do we actually know what the trust said? I didn't hear or read that. I guess Robin Williams should have planned a little better before killing himself. He did after all determine when he would die so he had time to make sure everything was solid or not. Obviously, he didn't give the well-being of the ones he left behind that much thought and maybe it will turn out that that extended to the trust, etc.

I think pretty much everyone understands about estates and marriages and the possibilities.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:42 PM

948 posts, read 921,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Step wives and husbands usually don't act like that unless there is bad history.
Or if they married for money, er, I mean if they fell in love with a rich person.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:38 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
It is tough being a step parent too and trying to do the right thing..
My husband and I talked often about our wishes and when he died I knew
what he wanted done. One adult step daughter kinda demanded
certain things a week after his death..They were things that
I would have had to sort & find..

I had to explain that we would work it all out but that I wasn't ready to start
divvying up some things yet...It was just too hard..

It all worked out and we were able to sort things and everyone
got what they wanted...I also had to downsize homes and I was careful to
let his daughters go through everything before it was sold or sent to charity..

We are all still close 4 years later...

But I am sure that first week she spoke ill of me and it was
just that her grief emotions were out of control.
So there are 2 sides...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting