Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 03:19 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Robin Williams' Wife, Children Head to Court in Estate Fight - NBC News

Stepparents really need to understand that the children were there before they were and if the deceased spouse wanted his children to have things, it should be done. .
I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 03:21 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Well, well, jumping back on the soap box...............my friend's step mother, turned out to be rotten. What do these step mothers' do, take classes on how to treat step kids like dirt?????
I think it's women who didn't financially prepare for their future, so they marry (or re-marry) at some point and hope to milk the man for all they can get. "Put me on your life insurance policy" "Put me in your will", etc.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:37 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,195,051 times
In Williams case he had the opportunity to collect aside specific items for his children , or state specifically who should get what in a will.
Conversations like this are important reminders of having a will.

On the other hand I can’t see that it’s fair to think it’s okay that adult children can walk into your home and remove items or your husbands personal belongings without permission.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:52 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
It has been 60+ years since my mother's own step-mother disregarded my grandfather's wishes, and refused to allow my mother to have any of her own mother's belongings. Everything went to the step-sisters. I don't know what the percentage would be, I have to hope most people are decent human beings, but I do know that when it does happen, the resentment may never go away.

I think the answer must be to make sure the directives are very clear, and individual items are designated to specific heirs.
My dad is making a spreadsheet of basically everything for his will.

Every little pair of my mom’s earrings, his guns, WWII items that had been his father’s, photo albums & even their “Veggie Tales” DVD collection that my kids grew up with.

He says “I just don’t want any arguments!”

Old 11-09-2018, 06:56 PM

1,860 posts, read 1,246,096 times
Its tough without the whole story but it seems that she is just trying to maintain her home, not rob them of their inheritance. It reads like she just wants the home they live in not too be torn apart by the adult children wanting their share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting