Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 09:04 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times

Advertisements

Just how far should a parent go with regard to a child growing up to be cynical? Should children be taught that everything they hear from the adult world is the truth? How can they be raised to have a measure of respect for authority, but at the same time not be rubes for every con that comes down the pike?

One thought I had was to encourage a child to keep a notebook of "lies" -- every time they hear something that they doubt the truth or authority of, write it down in their notebook. Then, when they have time, research the subject (online, or however), and see if there is a different take on it, if not disprove it as an outright lie. Downside: When you tell them something, and then see them running off to get their notebook. So, should a parent foster a certain gullibility in children, just to protect your own power and authority, and how does this play out in later life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 09:22 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Just how far should a parent go with regard to a child growing up to be cynical? Should children be taught that everything they hear from the adult world is the truth? How can they be raised to have a measure of respect for authority, but at the same time not be rubes for every con that comes down the pike?

One thought I had was to encourage a child to keep a notebook of "lies" -- every time they hear something that they doubt the truth or authority of, write it down in their notebook. Then, when they have time, research the subject (online, or however), and see if there is a different take on it, if not disprove it as an outright lie. Downside: When you tell them something, and then see them running off to get their notebook. So, should a parent foster a certain gullibility in children, just to protect your own power and authority, and how does this play out in later life?
"Notebook of lies" sounds like a great title for an infamous manifesto to be published after incarceration.

I know what you're getting at. But I think you should think it through a little more.

Are you sure you want to raise a CYNICAL child???? Can't they just be questioning and curious?

How about inquisitive and interested??? Open minded? A critical thinker?

I feel like my kids are like this. They don't fall for every little thing that crosses their path. One thing we did was ask their opinion - A LOT - about stuff that was happening in the world and in their worlds. I also think that parents who raise their kids from a place of fear raise anxious, naive kids. If you keep an open, interested attitude and engage your kids on what many would think are non-kid issues, they will pick it up.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:32 AM

948 posts, read 922,021 times
Agree that you don't want to raise your child to be cynical so much as to raise them not to take everything without question. There are negatives to cynicism.

I'd change the title of your "Notebook of Lies" to something like "Notebook of Questions", "Notebook of Doubts", or even "Research Notebook". The notebook is a great idea. But you don't want to encourage your child to believe everything they doubt is automatically a lie before they've even researched it. (But I do love the idea of encouraging kids to research things they doubt.)

Believing everything is a lie can be just as bad as believing everything is true.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:32 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,880,136 times
Cynical is a negative trait. I don't want my kids to have any of those.

Like Wmsn4life said, questioning, inquisitive and a critical thinker is much better.

I'm teaching my son to question things and find out multiple viewpoints before he makes up his own mind about things. The more sides you look at things from, the closer you get to the truth of the matter.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:47 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Cynical is a negative trait. I don't want my kids to have any of those.
Don't turn it into a buzzword. Remember, Pride is also one of the Seven Deadly Sins, and every quality has its dark side..

Children start out very gullible -- also a negative trait. Without some basic training, they will turn out to be gullible adults, and must be taught to neutralize that with a manageable measure of cynicism and the judgment to know when to apply it.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:58 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,708,502 times
Quote:
Don't turn it into a buzzword. Remember, Pride is also one of the Seven Deadly Sins, and every quality has its dark side..

Children start out very gullible -- also a negative trait. Without some basic training, they will turn out to be gullible adults, and must be taught to neutralize that with a manageable measure of cynicism and the judgment to know when to apply it.
You can teach a child to not be gullible without turning them bitter and cynical. How sad you think raising a child to be cynical is a goal...because no matter how you look at it....it's a negative trait.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:01 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:

Eh????

We aren't talking about buzzwords, but connotations, which really matter.

Some would say children start out "innocent," not gullible.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:10 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times
Man, this is disturbing. Raising a clinical child? I thought it was looking for advice to deal with a cinical child and help them become less cinical.

Children are innocent, trusting...not gullible.

They are also curious, imaginative, hungry for knowledge.

I'm so hoping this is just an academic conversation, not that you actually have children you hope to raise cinical and jaded.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:10 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
All I can say is that were I to suggest any project involving keeping a notebook to my children, they would run away screaming. We stick to dinner conversation, because they have enough to do already.

Last edited by randomparent; 03-31-2015 at 01:25 PM..

Old 03-31-2015, 04:10 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
I raise my son to be questioning and to think about whether what he's hearing sounds right and makes sense. He is 10 and can watch TV and comment during the commercials about how something might not be an outright lie but has been manipulated to promote a particular product. I wouldn't call that cynical, if you mean something like that.

Maybe if you have some examples of what you are talking about, people might be able to respond a bit more concretely rather than focusing on the word cynical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting