Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 08:43 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Whoever is leaving negative, argumentative comments as "rep points" - thanks for the rep points! However, your negative comments are against the Terms of Service and can be traced back to you, just so you know.

That is, they could be if I bothered to report you. Not worth my time or trouble. but next time - sign your name. Otherwise, you're really just acting like a coward.

Have a great day!
Gave you a non negative point....lol. I think most people get the insults from time to time....bUT you haven't said anything outrageous other than share how your family does things....not enough to angst for some I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 11:34 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Personally, I would be inclined to put my foot down sooner rather than later. I can just see grandma pulling this same irrational behavior for the next 18 years if allowed to. She doesn't seem to have very good judgement about what's age appropriate or healthy, and I doubt that'll change as the kid ages.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:40 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
9 months? You got a long road to go! Or a long row to hoe. Let me guess.... first child? In-law? You're child is so blessed to even HAVE a grandmother! Chill out.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:24 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Good luck trying to make Grandma a disciplinarian! I've always felt the Grandparent role was to spoil the kids rotten. Still feel that way.
Why?

Old 04-10-2015, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Are you a grandparent? If so, this statement is understandable--maybe.

Or are you still on the receiving end? The OP wasn't talking about a once-a-year visit to an overindulgent Grandma, but a frequent occurrence. Many of us whose children have grandparents living nearby, who see them all the time, actually don't want spoiled rotten kids.
I've seen spoiled grandkids that take advantage of their grandparents because they know they have nana and pop wrapped around their little finger. Why would anyone want to encourage that?

Old 04-10-2015, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Whoever is leaving negative, argumentative comments as "rep points" - thanks for the rep points! However, your negative comments are against the Terms of Service and can be traced back to you, just so you know.

That is, they could be if I bothered to report you. Not worth my time or trouble. but next time - sign your name. Otherwise, you're really just acting like a coward.

Have a great day!
Did you report them? I would. I think its lame. If you have something to say then just say it. Same when you get PMs rather than replies to a post.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Did you report them? I would. I think its lame. If you have something to say then just say it. Same when you get PMs rather than replies to a post.
I don't normally report anything, unless it's spam from a non member or some sort of over the top, racist, or personally insulting rant (it usually bothers me more if it's directed at someone else rather than if it's directed at me), but I agree - totally lame. And immature. And small minded. Not to mention passive aggressive.

Oh well - no worries! Life is good.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:17 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityconvo View Post
I am seeking advice conerning a grandmother that refuses to follow our wishes/instructions with our child. It doesn't matter if we are present or when she babysits. When she does follow instructions, it comes with a lot of verbal resistance and judgement about our policies. I wouldn't be as concerned if she only saw our child every now and then, but she sees her often. I am trying to figure out if I am being too demanding or should I chill out a little.

Some examples are no screen time whatsoever, no toys while eating, and only approved foods. Our child is 9 months.

Thanks in advance.
Op if I were you I am much happy and be grateful what she is doing for your family. your child is 9 months, even if she play with a toy while eating they won't do it when they grow, your child is 9 months mine is 9 years, just be cool, and let the child follow the rules when you take care for her. Then child get to know the difference too. I don't think it is problem kids get spoiled by grand parents. Honestly I like it.. be cool, you will feel so warm when you see the hour charges of a baby sitter

Old 04-10-2015, 08:41 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityconvo View Post
I am seeking advice conerning a grandmother that refuses to follow our wishes/instructions with our child. It doesn't matter if we are present or when she babysits. When she does follow instructions, it comes with a lot of verbal resistance and judgement about our policies. I wouldn't be as concerned if she only saw our child every now and then, but she sees her often. I am trying to figure out if I am being too demanding or should I chill out a little.

Some examples are no screen time whatsoever, no toys while eating, and only approved foods. Our child is 9 months.

Thanks in advance.

When I was a young first time mother I too decided grandma was not going to give my kids sugar or a pacifier. Well 2 weeks old and when she didn't have a pacifier in his mouth it was a sucker in his mouth. Went thru a week of listening to crying when breaking him from the bottle, whats she do? sticks a bottle in his mouth. Its not a battle worth fighting.

I am a grandmother now. I think its a grandparents right to spoil grandkids. I have always had a policy which applies to grandkids, neighbor kids, nephews, nieces and random children: its my house, you leave your kids with me I treat them as if they were my own. My house, my rules. Ill tell you I have always had a house full of other peoples kids and they all are still alive.

My son's gf has a 3 yr. old. Her mother worries constantly about what she is doing when she is at my house despite me assuring her the child cant hurt anything. One day she wanted to "help" me do dishes so I pulled up a chair, made sure there were no sharp or breakable things and let her have at it. Her mother was distressed and said she didn't allow her child to wash dishes at home but finally left us to it. About a week later she sent me a message and pic of her child washing dishes saying thank you for teaching me some patience, yes she dries and so does the floor and it makes her child happy.

I take the child to the barn to feed horses with me. On the way back I let her sit in my lap and drive the short distance up the gravel drive. We have this thing now that's called "Don't tell mom". Come to think of it we had the same thing going when I use to watch my nephews.

Personally I think you sound a little anal and controlling. Try to chill a little.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:49 AM

14,308 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
When I was a young first time mother I too decided grandma was not going to give my kids sugar or a pacifier. Well 2 weeks old and when she didn't have a pacifier in his mouth it was a sucker in his mouth. Went thru a week of listening to crying when breaking him from the bottle, whats she do? sticks a bottle in his mouth. Its not a battle worth fighting.
A sucker (lollipop) in the mouth of a 2-week-old isn't a battle worth fighting??

Quote:
its my house, you leave your kids with me I treat them as if they were my own. My house, my rules.

Personally I think you sound a little anal and controlling. Try to chill a little.
Sure--you want other people to "chill" so you can get to do whatever you want. Nice.

Another Grandma who thinks she's "earned" the right to have everything her own way.

Last edited by saibot; 04-10-2015 at 09:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting