Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 07:59 PM

509 posts, read 554,661 times

Advertisements

I suggest you ask your 11-year-old and not us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 08:01 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post
I've been told my priority is my wife with whom I took vows.
You've been misinformed.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:05 PM

465 posts, read 613,721 times
Priority is your children. BOTH children. Not your wife. She's an adult. Don't abandon your daughter, because that's what you are doing for reasons that benefit only you and your wife. How do both of your kids maintain a sibling relationship if you move?

Old 04-07-2015, 08:14 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
I suggest you ask your 11-year-old and not us
Please don't even consider this. Why would a parent ever admit to their child that they're considering moving away from her so that daddy can have a shorter commute and be happy?
It is not the responsibility of an 11 year old child to make sacrifices for their parent's happiness.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:19 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
OP....your profile indicates you have four children. Where are the other two?

Last edited by maciesmom; 04-07-2015 at 08:29 PM..

Old 04-07-2015, 08:21 PM

477 posts, read 509,337 times
You know what the right thing to do is. Otherwise you wouldn't need to ask.

You asked her mother to make this move, which she did - so now stick it out.

Your first priority is your CHILDREN, and the 2 year old doesn't take precedence over the 11 year old just because you happen to currently be married to her mother. The nature of your relationship with the mother of your first child doesn't even enter into it. The 11 year old is every bit as important as the 2 yo.

"Vows" have nothing to do with anything. Kids come first, period. You already know that, don't you.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:27 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,370,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Children only appear to be resilient.

How many adults in their 20's, 30's 40's, etc end up in therapy discussing their childhood issues?
This. I am so tired of hearing that kids are resilient. I think it is only to make adults feel better about the situation.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:43 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
I know it isn't what you want to hear but you need to stay where you are until your daughter is a legal adult. You are her dad, the only one she's got and this is the only childhood she gets, and she needs you in the same city. Childrens' needs trump adult needs and wants. Always.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:27 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
It will be heart breaking and life changing for your daughter. Stick it out a few years. We did it for my step sons. Plus...I wasn't first, all the kids were. And my step kids came before me. I lived in a city I hated for 15 years so my husband could raise his kids. And I am glad I did. Because they needed us. Once we had our own, it didn't make them less important.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post
Best case, Phoenix, 5 hours. Farthest, east coast.

This is why I'm asking, hoping for some first hand accounts.

I haven't left her in any way, she was 2 when her mother and I broke up, so she never really knew us together. I am actively involved in her life very much.

My main struggle is balancing a "separated" child, with a wife and "full time" child. I've been told my priority is my wife with whom I took vows. I am strongly attached to my 11 y.o. as well. This is not an easy situation.
I lived in a small town that I disliked for ten years because I married a man who had joint custody of his eleven year old son, and he didn't want to live far away from him and didn't want drama with the mama about schools, visitation, games, etc.

I knew going into it that this was the deal, and I held up my end of the bargain - even though it meant changing jobs, and living in a town I didn't like, and going to the same church, and baseball, basketball and football games with the ex wife always there. I did this while he finished high school and two years of community college in the town.

Then he took off for college five hours away and the second he did that, we put the house on the market and moved. I had to wait on my dream house for awhile, but it was well worth the sacrifice and my husband was very appreciative of me for holding up my end of the bargain without complaining. And my husband loves the new town and new neighborhood and house! But best of all - my stepson never "lost" his dad to his new wife and no one could ever say that I put any distance between them.

It sounds like you love your daughter and are close to her. I think it would make her VERY unhappy for you to move away - and this is just as she's entering puberty too, when she needs you the most. I really really really wouldn't recommend you doing this. It doesn't sound like you have a real need to move - it sounds more like you just WANT to move. My vote is NO on this idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting