Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 10:00 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times

Advertisements

This is not meant to be a debate for or against only children. This article has some interesting facts about siblings. I'm very happy we were able to give our kids siblings. That said my brother and I did not have much to do with each other past middle school. I guess it has to do with upbringing and individual people.

National Sibling Day 2015: 11 Quotes, Scientific Facts About The Power Of Sibling Relationships
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 10:12 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Interesting stuff; thanks for sharing. I wonder if this should be posted in the Non-Romantic Relationships forum?

I too am glad that I was able to provide each of my two kids with a sibling; it was important to me that they have that relationship available to them.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:59 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,252,976 times
I really want to give my daughter a sibling. I am so glad I had my brothers growing up, especially the one closest to me in age, we were best friends.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:22 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,708,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
This is not meant to be a debate for or against only children. This article has some interesting facts about siblings. I'm very happy we were able to give our kids siblings. That said my brother and I did not have much to do with each other past middle school. I guess it has to do with upbringing and individual people.

National Sibling Day 2015: 11 Quotes, Scientific Facts About The Power Of Sibling Relationships
Yes, siblings can be great....but only children are also pretty darn special and have their own good traits that children raised in multiple households will never have.

Humm....not sure why the daylights some need to set kids apart like this...but if it makes you feel special to have siblings...go for it.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:09 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
I do feel special having my siblings. We are the only ones in the world who've had a shared experience of growing up in the same family. We are there to help each other out with family stuff and none of us feels completely alone when it comes to family stuff.

Celebrating one thing isn't a knock on another. Time people realize that.

Last edited by Magritte25; 04-11-2015 at 06:22 AM..

Old 04-11-2015, 07:32 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I really want to give my daughter a sibling. I am so glad I had my brothers growing up, especially the one closest to me in age, we were best friends.

Awwww, this made me smile, and it made me think about all the fun I shared with my brother who is closest to me in age (three years apart). He was adopted when he was three, so I had to wait nearly six years for him, but when he joined our family, I felt like I had a ready made buddy! And I did.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I do feel special having my siblings. We are the only ones in the world who've had a shared experience of growing up in the same family. We are there to help each other out with family stuff and none of us feels completely alone when it comes to family stuff.

Celebrating one thing isn't a knock on another. Time people realize that.
RIGHT ON.

I am SO grateful to my parents for bringing my two brothers into our family after they had me. I can't imagine life without them. But my dad is an only child and he had a great childhood too and turned out well.

Doesn't make either family prototype superior or inferior - they're just different.

I have no sisters, but when I see or hear people reveling in their "sister love" (for instance, my mom and her three sisters) I don't feel threatened or begrudge them their relationships, or think they consider themselves superior just because they're grateful for each other.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:28 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,252,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Awwww, this made me smile, and it made me think about all the fun I shared with my brother who is closest to me in age (three years apart). He was adopted when he was three, so I had to wait nearly six years for him, but when he joined our family, I felt like I had a ready made buddy! And I did.
Ah that's great

My brother is two years older than me and we would do everything together, especially on family holidays and the two of us would just take off for the day and explore the new place we were in. Although we were sworn enemies for a few years as teenagers but we became friends again as we grew up

Old 04-11-2015, 09:45 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
We have 4 kids and none of them are biologically related. The love our two youngest share (one 4 months apart in age) is a beautiful thing to see. Once I took one to get her hair cut and afterward asked her if she would like to go get some ice cream. She looked at me with sad eyes and said "No thank you. It wouldn't be fun without sister." I almost burst into tears. They were both 6 years old at the time.

Now they are 13 and choose to share a room like they always have even though we have empty bedrooms. We are so happy we could bring these 2 together to share their lives with each other and the rest of our family.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:03 AM

Natsku, your post about being your brother's sworn enemy as a teen reminded me of my two girls. They are only 20 months apart and polar opposites in so many ways personality wise. When they were little, they got along great but the minute the hormones kicked in, they turned into she devils around each other. HATED each other. I had to literally buy a new house, with their rooms separated rather than side by side, because if they had to so much as pass each other in the hall, they'd hiss at each other like two tomcats.

They drove me crazy. One day one of them actually threw a bag of frozen peas at the other from across the kitchen! Now listen, I draw the line at projectiles being hurled at each other's heads!

Fast forward a few years and now they are very close and super supportive of each other. They're still very different in many ways, but as they've matured they've realized that they are more alike than they are different - when it comes to values, expectations, and goals. I am so glad they have each other! Their relationship is a joy for me to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting