Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 07:17 AM

948 posts, read 921,028 times

Advertisements

Why do the pro-exclusionists keep bringing up "entitlement"

Getting invited to parties does not teach entitlement.
If anything, allowing ostracism does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 08:15 AM

948 posts, read 921,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
Sadly we live in an 'entitlement' society. Now their parents will probably claim discrimination, and God forbid they are a different race than her daughter. This poor woman's hands are tied in our PC nazi world.
Is this sort of insulting, negative attitude typical of the type of parents who think it's ok for a kid to invite the whole class except a couple?

P.S. Nazis would say that it IS ok to exclude kids, especially if they're Jews, Prussians, Blacks, or any other type of people the Nazis encouraged ostracising.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:12 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
Is this sort of insulting, negative attitude typical of the type of parents who think it's ok for a kid to invite the whole class except a couple?

P.S. Nazis would say that it IS ok to exclude kids, especially if they're Jews, Prussians, Blacks, or any other type of people the Nazis encouraged ostracising.
Can we discuss this w/o bringing up the nazis?

Old 04-13-2015, 09:23 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,663,923 times
You are, of course, welcome to invite whomever you like to a private party, as long as you are discreet and your 5 year old doesn't go to school and tell these boys, in a moment of exasperation, "I'm having a birthday party, and EVERYONE but YOU is invited!! So THERE!"

What are the chances? Yeah . . .

Personally, I think if you're going to invite over 75% of the class, you might as well invite the other 4 kids. Let's face it, they may not care for HER, either, and may choose not to come (funny how no one ever thinks of that :-) It's not too early to teach kindness and consideration -- and that while kindness may not change the other person, it's not why you should be kind. You should be kind because it fosters an understanding, compassionate and sympathetic empathy for others. Frankly, dinosaurs don't sound like enough to make the kid a social pariah at 5 years old. :-)

if you're worried about their behavior, you might want to invite the kids' parents, too.

With my kids' birthdays, there was the "age plus 1" rule -- If they were turning 6, they could invite 7 friends. We took cupcakes to school (those were the days, it's probably not even allowed any longer! :-( ) to celebrate with the class, but the party itself was just for good friends. It kept things manageable. After 10 or 11, the rule was put aside, for pool parties, arcade parties, movie parties, etc.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:32 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,451,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
My opinion may not be the majority, but yes, I think it's rude to invite all the girls and most of the boys but exclude four boys. Whole class is fine; girls only is fine; a mix of some classmates and other friends is fine too. But in the situation you describe, I would not feel right leaving those few boys out. They are not mean bullies, they just have different interests from your daughter, as is expected at this age. I would tell her that we are inviting everyone, and explain that the boys don't have to be her best friends but she needs to be kind to them.
I agree 100%. Perfectly described!

Old 04-13-2015, 10:48 AM

185 posts, read 184,832 times
Why exactly are you letting a 6 yr old decide invitations? Dislike of dinosaurs means someone will be excluded? I could understand if this was a sleepover, but its a party that's inviting nearly the entire class. I would invite everybody in this case. Its a perfect learning opportunity.

Think about it. The class members will talk about the party in class sometime, maybe. The missing kids will realize they weren't invited. You're pretty much inviting nearly everybody anyways. The few exclusions? Not very nice, I think. There's good reasoning behind the school insisting that invitations be for the entire class.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:53 AM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PasDeDeux View Post
There's good reasoning behind the school insisting that invitations be for the entire class.
:::sigh:::
The school does NOT insist the entire class be invited to all parties.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:20 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,050 times
I do understand that people who are new to the thread probably haven't gone and read all ~250 replies. So I just want to repeat that I did take the advice of the majority and invited the 4 boys, so the whole class is now invited.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:22 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I do understand that people who are new to the thread probably haven't gone and read all ~250 replies. So I just want to repeat that I did take the advice of the majority and invited the 4 boys, so the whole class is now invited.
No way in your wildest dreams could you have imagined what your simple question turned into!

Old 04-13-2015, 12:36 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
No way in your wildest dreams could you have imagined what your simple question turned into!
I know, right? I didn't expect it to be some hot-button issue, like spanking or extended breastfeeding or something!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting