Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 12:39 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,924,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
Why is it surprising?
Surprising because the whole school year we have only been aware of one other birthday party, and now there are two at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 12:44 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,508,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Surprising because the whole school year we have only been aware of one other birthday party, and now there are two at the same time.
Gotcha. For future reference, if you're ever worried about numbers, you'd be surprised by how many kids don't make it to the party. One always gets sick and can't make it. From my experience, the parties were mixed gender until third grade. That's when boys had boy parties and girls had girl parties. Have fun with that. Because then it's only 8 girls in a class, estimated. Then a girl has a party, invites 5 girls, and leaves out two. Talk about drama and hurt feelings! I'm going through that now with my one daughter. It's terrible. Good luck and don't sweat the party.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
If it's possible, you might want to change the date or time so they don't overlap.
Dinosaur boy's birthday is this week. My daughter's birthday is on the 25th. The party is on the 25th. I have booked Anna and Elsa to entertain the children for the party, so I can't really change the time. I mean, maybe it would be possible if I called the company and they are available later, and then notified everyone on the evite to have it an hour later or something. I guess it's possible. But I don't really think I'm going to do that.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:51 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,879,617 times
Quote:
Around here people often go to 2 or more parties on a Saturday. I usually stick to one because my kids get way over stimulated.

Take the high road, on both issues (inviting and potentially changing time/day). That will teach your daughter a ton about character.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
Gotcha. For future reference, if you're ever worried about numbers, you'd be surprised by how many kids don't make it to the party. One always gets sick and can't make it. From my experience, the parties were mixed gender until third grade. That's when boys had boy parties and girls had girl parties. Have fun with that. Because then it's only 8 girls in a class, estimated. Then a girl has a party, invites 5 girls, and leaves out two. Talk about drama and hurt feelings! I'm going through that now with my one daughter. It's terrible. Good luck and don't sweat the party.
Yah, well last year only 2 kids from school showed up to her party, so I hope that more show up this year... I mean, we'll still have cousins and stuff either way, but it would be nice if some classmates come.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:52 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
Quote:
Dinosaur boy's birthday is this week. My daughter's birthday is on the 25th. The party is on the 25th. I have booked Anna and Elsa to entertain the children for the party, so I can't really change the time. I mean, maybe it would be possible if I called the company and they are available later, and then notified everyone on the evite to have it an hour later or something. I guess it's possible. But I don't really think I'm going to do that.
I wouldn't change the time. It's common for these types of conflicts to happen. The kids who want to be at your daughter's party will be there.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:05 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,508,089 times
Quote:
Yah, well last year only 2 kids from school showed up to her party, so I hope that more show up this year... I mean, we'll still have cousins and stuff either way, but it would be nice if some classmates come.
Hmm...maybe you'd want to consider changing the time if you can. But that's a personal choice. I hear you though.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:11 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Of course at that age, we avoided the issue because my children could only invite a small number of kids. When they turned 5, they invited 4 children, when they turned 6, they invited 5 children. These were the kids they played with most often. The rule was you could invite the same number of children as your age.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:22 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,807,419 times
Quote:
We used to follow party math and that would work pretty well. LOL. the rule was half of who you invite will RSVP yes and then 75% of those will actually come. We would buy for that amount and it always worked out fine bump it up a little if your kid is super popular, down a little if they are super shy.

In this case since there are 2 parties I would estimate using the number of girls in the class as your base to start from.

Good luck!!!

Old 04-08-2015, 01:28 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,723,533 times
With a boy and a girl each having a party, my guess is that the class will be split down gender lines and you'll get all or most of the girls, while the other child gets all or most of the boys.

I think it would be crappy to leave out just a few of the kids, but now it seems like it's not much of an issue. Send an invite to dinosaur boy; he obviously won't be able to come anyway. I think that five and six year olds are at the perfect stage to learn to think of others and to start growing out of their (natural) egocentricism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting