Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 08:35 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
As I've already stated upthread this number is wrong. The majority of deaths caused by dog bites are caused by pits or pit mixes. Thems the facts.
Prove that...I don't see anything but bias and urban legend being presented
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 08:39 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Your numbers are too low:

Dog Bite: Get Treatment and Prevention Information

This back and forth over breeds, and statistics, still doesn't change the fact that a parent has the right to ask if there are pets in the home, what breeds are involved, and then turn down a playdate if she/he doesn't like what they hear. And the host should respond gracefully. Because as much as I consider my dogs to be family members, they don't entitle me to expect everyone else to feel the same about them.

So, OP, don't worry about causing offense. Follow your instincts and make the best choice for your child.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:42 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Prove that...I don't see anything but bias and urban legend being presented
What reason could the CDC possibly have to misrepresent facts on dog bites?

Old 04-09-2015, 08:43 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,554,212 times
My brother adopted a pitbull/boxer.

After a few years of owning her, (and having 2 young children around her), she turned on another dog that had also been with them for years. I don't recall if they gave her away or put her down.

I don't like dogs either way, so good riddance I say.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:49 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Anyway this back and forth is really silly. There are multiple factors involved in determining a dog's propensity to bite such as whether or not the dog is neutered, the health of the dog, socialization, etc. etc. If people want to believe that breed plays no role, then so be it, but a parent choosing to keep a child away from specific breeds is a parenting decision like any other. YMMV.

Last edited by Zimbochick; 04-09-2015 at 09:31 PM..

Old 04-09-2015, 09:03 PM

35,075 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
As I've already stated upthread this number is wrong. The majority of deaths caused by dog bites are caused by pits or pit mixes. Thems the facts.
Has anyone ever seen a gentle Golden Retriever or Great Dane?

Old 04-09-2015, 09:29 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
So are you this youngish mother with children having play dates?

//www.city-data.com/forum/retir...ts-social.html

Or are you this very late 50's early 60's career woman who worked at the SS administration for 35 years after starting work at 22 and who's children are (by my best guess) all well into adulthood?

Inquiring minds want to know. This was and is an anti pit bull thread disguised as a parenting question thread.

You know FAR TOO MUCH about SS security issues to be a youngish mom with play date questions.
That isn't the same poster. One loves cuties, the other loves cats.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:36 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
That isn't the same poster. One loves cuties, the other loves cats.
You are correct, my error and my apologies to the two posters.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:52 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Can we please drop the debate about pit bulls and focus on the question of whether or not we can exercise our own judgment and state our concerns honestly, even when we risk offending others? I mean, that's the real question, isn't it? Because if it's not, then the OP really is just trying to debate about a particular breed of dogs - and if that's the case, we can ask that the thread be moved to the Great Debates section - where it can join the many other debate threads about pit bulls.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:04 PM

140 posts, read 189,013 times
I haven't read all 6 pages but whenever my children want to visit another child's house I drop off this questionnaire pre-visit:
  1. Do you own a gun?
  2. Do you own a pool?
  3. Do you own a dog that likes to attack children?
  4. Have you ever had murderous thoughts?
  5. Do you know how to make a bomb?
  6. Do you keep poisons in your house?
  7. Do you engage in wild sex parties?
For some reason a lot of people take offense, why do you think that is? The good news is we've met some great sex partners for safe sex if they answer no to the first 6 questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting