Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 07:55 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,739,555 times

Advertisements

She's 13! Why does she get a vote? Families move all the time. She'll get over it. Do you really want to live across the country from your own daughter? I couldn't imagine leaving my daughter or son and moving. You need to realize that the parents make decisions for 13 year olds, not the kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 08:01 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,472,107 times
Folks. In the OP, the question wasn't "should the daughter make the decision." The situation was that her FATHER was considering staying in CA in order to allow the daughter to live with him, rather than moving with the mom and stepfather. Since the daughter is 13, most courts would allow her to decide which parent to live with as long as both parents were able and willing to provide a safe home for her, which apparently her father can do (according to the OP he's always been a great dad).

So yes - in such a scenario, the child DOES usually "get a vote" even if the move by one parent is perfectly reasonable and best for the family as a whole.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:57 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,386,609 times
^^Thanks for keeping this clarified, Kathryn.

I think the dad may eventually resent staying in CA for the DD when everyone else moves away. She's 13 now, and Dad's girl. In another few years he may just be another "dumb dad" and she will be off with either girlfriends or a boyfriend.

Tough decision all around.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:12 AM

26,661 posts, read 13,649,462 times
It sounds like Dad is moving to Florida and Mom and Step-Dad are moving to TN. The move will be hard for your daughter at first but she will adjust. If she is active in sports, making friends will be easy. Having extended family and cousins close by will be helpful as well. Don't worry, OP, she'll be OK.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:06 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,235,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Oh, for goodness sake, Txt. Just because you're unhappy it doesn't mean moving to TN is a bad decision for someone else. Your experience in TN might have been "really awful" but that doesn't mean the state is.
No, but she is right with that. The culture shock is going to be something to behold for someone from CA moving to TN.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
She's 13! Why does she get a vote? Families move all the time. She'll get over it. Do you really want to live across the country from your own daughter? I couldn't imagine leaving my daughter or son and moving. You need to realize that the parents make decisions for 13 year olds, not the kid.
It's always good to include older children in decisions like these because they will feel the impact a lot more. That doesn't mean they should get equal say, just a level of input.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetoughkitty View Post
Her dad wants her with us in Tennessee, she also prefers the colder weather over the humidity (we visited his dad's side a couple of times over the years). Talking to him this morning, he has some things he needs to get taken care of regarding his family in Florida. Apparently his younger brother will be getting out of prison after 10 years this May and he wants to rebond with him as well. It turns out he may move faster than I thought (I thought we would be moving first).

My daughter may not share the same blood as my husband's relatives but they have always considered her family from day one. She has an amazing bond with his aunts and they adore her. I think we have been very very lucky when it comes to extended family.
The reality is, as Kathryn pointed out, it's going to be more her choice at this point than anything. So you do have to prepare yourself for the fact that she might decide she wants to live with her Dad over you. At any rate this is going to be a transition period for all parties involved.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
^^Thanks for keeping this clarified, Kathryn.

I think the dad may eventually resent staying in CA for the DD when everyone else moves away. She's 13 now, and Dad's girl. In another few years he may just be another "dumb dad" and she will be off with either girlfriends or a boyfriend.

Tough decision all around.
Yes, I agree with you there.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:39 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,920,599 times
My dad was in the Air Force.. When it came time to move it didn't matter what us kids thought...

Seriously, I know how she feels but to let a 13 year old call the shots for a family, when the parents no matter how many there are want or need to move somewhere is ridiculous...

Old 04-12-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
My dad was in the Air Force.. When it came time to move it didn't matter what us kids thought...

Seriously, I know how she feels but to let a 13 year old call the shots for a family, when the parents no matter how many there are want or need to move somewhere is ridiculous...
It didn't really matter what he thought either xD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting